Is it true?

Options
Is it true that if you put more weight on a machine it will build muscle rather than putting less weight on a machine to lose weight?
I want to lose weight.. so am I supposed to use less weight? or more weight?

PLEASE HELP MY CONFUSION :/

Replies

• chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think you'd like to tone vs. put on bulk. You can tone with resistance bands and light weights. Max lifting (lifting as much as you can) will put on bulk. Both can be good, although you won't lose numerical weight if you put on bulk, inches will come off. Building muscle is healthy. But I understand if you don't want to look all bulky---so look for exercises that tone.
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I take that back....

read this

http://fastfitcoaching.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=24:tone-vs.-bulk&Itemid=1

particularly this:

"So, will a person that only wants a toned body or what amounts to a relatively small amount of muscle mass become bulky by lifting too many weights, too heavy of a weight, doing certain exercises or the like?? The simple answer is no."
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

You won't bulk up if you use heavy weights.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you're going to lift, you should be lifting heavy. It makes no sense to lift something you can lift all day long as that is not going to be effective. And yes, you'll still lose weight lifting heavy.

You will not 'bulk up'. First, you're female and you don't have the sort of hormones that men do. Second, you'd have to be eating a diet that's fairly high in protein to see bulking. And third, even hardcore body builders can only add a few pounds of muscles to their frames per year.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. You can find it in the library or go to a bookstore/online. It will answer ALL your questions about that kind of stuff.

From what I learned. You CANNOT bulk up as a woman unless you REALLY TRY and have the genes for it. You shouldn't worry about it at all like a guy. I recommend heavier weights as this will burn fat!
  • taympelli
    taympelli Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you guys. That is what I thought, but my freind was telling me I was wrong. I just stick with my heavy weights (:
    I feel more accomplished that way and feel a result later!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    For most people, the only way to bulk is to go into a caloric surplus. For women it is even harder to bulk, due to a lack of testosterone. For most people the ideal range is a heavy enough weight to lift 6 to 10 reps, hitting failure in your last rep.