What is the best excercize for a woman 33 that is over 300lb

Options
I am new to this whole eating healty and excercizing thing. I need to excersize and I want to just take off running but I know I cant. What can I do to burn calories but not tear up my joints?

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Walk!
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Walk!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    walking is a perfect starter exercise.

walk a short distance, then a little longer each day :)
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    you could start out just by walking. Leslie Sansone has a whole mess of stuff designed around walking. Good for you for wanting to take charge of your health. Good luck on your journey!
  • 000angie000
    000angie000 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    The eliptical machine is pretty good, a great workout and does less damage to your knees than a treadmill.
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You will find lots of support here and people trying to do the same thing...lose weight and make healthy lifestyle choices.

I would think walking would be a really good place to start. Maybe just start out 10 minutes out, 10 minutes back everyday. And if you can do more without hurting great, but if not just stay there until you can do that without pain and then up it a little bit. Say 15 minutes out, 15 minutes back. Little by little you will go further. I say this as someone who had to recover from a car accident and was in a wheelchair for a while. I was shocked how little i could do at the beginning but by being consistent, I slowly but surely was able to incease the distance. And then one day, I could run again. Just for 30 seconds at a time, and then I would walk, then another 30 seconds, etc. The point is, start at slowly so you don't get hurt!

Also, if you have access to a gym, a stationery bike would also be a good option. Its nonimpact as well and you can work at your old speed.

Best of luck to you and I look forward to seeing you on MFP!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    walk or swim
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great idea if you have access to a pool. The boyancy takes weight off of joints. Maybe look into water aerobics or something?
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    yep, start out walking, then add to that once you get into the habit of exercising:)) Good luck:))
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Leslie Sansone videos...she has some great walks. The three mile one is a great workout!!

I also would recommend swimming. It is a great way to get started....you can get a pretty good burn going on.

Way to get started!! Don't limit yourself...try things and see how your body reacts...trust your body and talk to your doc.
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    take it from someone who is older but in the same boat weight wise.....walking will build your indurance and strenth to do other things. i have now moved to low impact aerobics.....but walked first. good luck with your journey!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and when I joined this site I weighed over 300 pounds. Making small changes, being consistent about exercise--even if you can only do 10 minutes at a time at first--and logging on here every day for encouragement and support will help you win the battle against the scale.
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to the BEST Part of your Life!!

Jeannie
  • kimboannie
    kimboannie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get the book Galloway's Book On Running. You wil be amazed at what you can do!!! ;)
  • 000angie000
    Options
    Thank yall soo much! I am seriously trying not to cry!! I have never found such a supportive place to lose weight! In the past I would get discouraged and that lead to eating. Then more discouragement and more eating... But I think this is it.... The Best Part of my Life. Love it!!!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Start walking...then try and ad a little jog in. I do walk a block...jog a block. It will get you in shape slowly...but it works ; )

Good luck.

2639362.png
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Do you have any mobility issues? It is best to start off slow and easy and gradual whatever you do. But it is best to start off with walking.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Start walking...then try and ad a little jog in. I do walk a block...jog a block. It will get you in shape slowly...but it works ; )

Good luck.

2639362.png

You are a long way from jogging. Trust me we are not on the biggest loser and those people have many injuries that I feel are not shown. If 3 to 4 months in and you have lost some weight and you want to try jogging do so but walking is what you would want to start with.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Get the book Galloway's Book On Running. You wil be amazed at what you can do!!! ;)

Again running?
  • 000angie000
    Options
    Thankfully I do not have any issues!! So blessed with that but in my enthusiasm in this journey I do not want to create any!