New and can barely move

cmurphy
cmurphy Posts: 4
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
I am so overweight that I can't walk 20 feet without being out of breath. I need help to get this weight off and to know how to excercise so I can walk more.

Replies

• I am so overweight that I can't walk 20 feet without being out of breath. I need help to get this weight off and to know how to excercise so I can walk more.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Ok darlin, you'll get lots of support here. Hang in there and take er easy. Talk to some folks here. I am not a doctor and I know very little but I believe there will be women and guys here that know what you are going through. Just stick around. There is always someone on here. A new friend, denise in Sams Valley Oregon

I am so overweight that I can't walk 20 feet without being out of breath. I need help to get this weight off and to know how to excercise so I can walk more.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    best move ever. You will be thanking yourself for joining. :) If you need help ask away, there are lots here to help. :bigsmile:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    i love this site because there is always someone who can tell you what it was like for them, and that it can be done, we are all in this together :flowerforyou:

if you talk to the other girls who have the same amount to lose they might have good tips too :smile:

i try really hard to drink my water, even tho some days i dont want to! lol

and i write down everything i eat, that way i know if i am on the right track or not :happy:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Hello and welcome! You can do this....if you're having trouble exercising, see if you can google some workouts for people wanting to start the process of losing more than just the average 30 or so pounds. Check out the handles "fitnesschick" and "tamtastic" - they both have lost so much weight working this program, they have been an inspiration to us all. Remember, no one deserves to be a prisoner in their own body. You don't deserve it.
  • NWCountryGal
    Hey sis, are you under medical care? Have you started your food intake chart? The first thing I did when I got here was start that. I can help you if you need it. I listed everything I ate that day, Oct. 6 is when I started(although I started on another site but found this one thank God, it's so much better in every way). Then I put my weight and goals, made a "ticker". After I had listed all I ate that day, then I began to see how many calories I was eating, but more important, the "types" of foods I was eating. This site is not about starving yourself. This site is about fueling your body with real foods. Let me know if I can help you on your food intake journal:) More experienced folks will show up through the day so just hang in there k?? Like I said, I am new but want you to know that there are friends here for you:) denise:)

• connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    First you made the first move and that is wanting to lose the weight. If you need to focus on your eating first before you focus on the exercise. Have you seen a doctor before you start your lifestyle change? I started with 150 lbs to lose and have lost 30 so far. It can be done. I know it is hard. I take some step classes during the week and I am the biggest person in there but I dont let it get me down. If there is somewhere you can take water aerobics that might help you to start out with. Once you get into the hang of working out you will crave it. I feel horrible if I miss it for several days. I used to hate exercising and now I cant wait to get to the gym. Also when you weigh more you burn more calories. So I would invest in a heartrate monitor. Today in step class I burned 900 calories. It is so nice to see that number. The people on here are great and there are some really great reads on here.

Good Luck

Connie
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Hey there!! :flowerforyou:

Welcome! And from someone who has lost a whole person.........I can tell you that I understand perfectly! I can also tell you it is not only very possible but it can happen much faster than you think.......even done the healthy way. This time next year, you could be living a completely different life if you just do it and keep with it!

Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help.

-Tami
  • Thank you to all. I am seeing a new doctor on Monday. I just don't know where to start. I weigh about 320 and am only 5'4" so you see I have a long ways to go. I just want to be able to wallk and do some fun things. I wanted to do water aerobics but the only place close has the pool way in the back and I couldn't walk that far to get to it.
  • So how did you lose it and how long did it take?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member

Welcome welcome....If I can do it....you surely can succeed as well!:flowerforyou:

Keep posting, feeling bad, feeling good. POST POST POST...we are always here to lift folks up, cheer them on...give hugs etc.

...it may seem like it'll never happen but some of us here who have lost large numbers are proof it can! :heart: Tam is a perfect example of a hard worker who has suceeded and become a very healthy happy person ...inside and out! It exudes in her face her smile & eyes:drinker:

Don't look ahead too far...except as positive motivation....what I mean is...don't feel like you can't do it....by looking at our numbers to lose at first is seems ever so daunting... I've lost a fair bit since last Summer....with adding excercise, healthy eating and positive thinking and surrounding myself with positive folks! What a difference it's made in my life:flowerforyou: :happy:

Hon it CAN BE DONE!:heart::flowerforyou: :heart: Water is something that has been with me on my journey....I try and drink for health reasons....to keep body toxins to a minimum and can tell huge changes just doing that one thing.

Hang in there...you'll be amazed at the changes....check out before and after pics on here and you'll see the success stories all around:bigsmile:
  • NWCountryGal
    Get your food journal started sis and you can print it out and show your doctor. Fill in the foods, water, milk anything you put in your body today. This will help your doctor and, it will show you how many calories and what sort of nutrition you are getting or not getting. Then you can start a grocery list or get some "new" shopping done filling your fridge and cupboards with the sort of foods you need to start fueling your body. I did this all before I started exercising. It seemed important to me to know how to eat first and become comfy with that, then came the exercise. This site is my "textbook". I read as many posts as I can to learn more each day from the gals that have suceeded in this new lifestyle!!! You part of now:) Today is the first day of the rest of your new life:)

denise in Sams Valley Oregon:flowerforyou:
    Thank you to all. I am seeing a new doctor on Monday. I just don't know where to start. I weigh about 320 and am only 5'4" so you see I have a long ways to go. I just want to be able to wallk and do some fun things. I wanted to do water aerobics but the only place close has the pool way in the back and I couldn't walk that far to get to it.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    15.gif

When I started, it took me almost 90 minutes to ride 4 miles!

Take it slow, and you'll get there!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Welcome :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: to MFP. Everything everyone said is true. Everyone has something to share, a story to tell, a shoulder to pout on. See your DR., and follow his advice.
    Congratulations on starting your new 'story'!!!! :heart:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Congratulations for joining, that is a big accomplishment showing you are ready to make some positive changes! Everyone starts somewhere and every small step counts. :)
  • Congrats, your on the right step.

If you can't do a lot of walking, try swimming. You lose a lot of calories while swimming and it doesn't apply pressure on the legs so you feel almost free in the water. Check you local YMCA to see what programs interest you, or if your like me and feel nervous in a bathing suit, just do free laps. Barely anyone goes to the lap pool when its open, so its a bit more private.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Welcome! You are in the right place. Start with small steps. I walked to the end of my street. If you can do that, walk across the room, to the door, to the mail box. Do it 5x a day to build up stamina.

I couldnt lift my purse due to an neck injury and now I do 30 push ups and lift 10 lbs. It CAN be done!!

Good luck!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Best of luck to you! If you put your mind to it & make an effort, you can do anything. Even the small steps are still steps in the right direction. Use this site as it is made & you'll accomplish great things!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Well, God bless you Ms. Murphy-- we're all in this boat. Come on in and join the fun-- great things happen here.
  • rlh0614
    rlh0614 Posts: 73 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have made the first step to the new you! I'll tell you this... water aerobics are your best bet - but every little bit counts! If you can ride a stationary bike for 5 minutes or walk for 5 minutes- DO IT 4 Five Minutes! You'll amaze yourself on how quickly you'll be at 30 if you stick with it! Good luck and God bless you! :flowerforyou: :wink:
This discussion has been closed.