Do You Have A Fitness Goal?

Options

Replies

• purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have gone back up to the weight i started on here & i want to make it vanish.
    Goal 1 = Being able to keep up with my 4 children & not have to rest after playing with them after 30 minutes.
    Goal 2 = Run the whole race for life this year without walking (sorry its a running goal)
    Goal 3 = Go horse riding again & ride across a beach bare back (something i have always wanted to do)
    Once these are done i'm sure i will have new ones
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    My goal would be to hike with my cousin and not die.
    My older cousin is a fitness freak (i'm not being mean) but she is extremely healthy, can hike for hrs upon hrs a day then come home and work out in her gym. About 2yrs ago I went to visit her, she currently lives in New Mexico - her husband is in the military and I'm not an outdoors person, I actually kind of hate it but we went on a hike, it wasn't long around 2hrs. I was scared out of my mind because the trail was kinda thin and obviously high up but getting to the top it was beautiful. I'm not into outdoors but I'd love to hike with her again just to see some the amazing views.

It bothered me because her husband took pictures of us on the top and showing how high up we were and I look so awful in the pictures I didn't want anyone to see them. I'm not close to the goal yet as I have recently just started my weight loss journey about a month ago but if I keep at it and I think I will because this is the first time I think my head has ever been in the game. Next year when I visit I will be okay to hike - maybe not the 6hrs like she does but at least an hour.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am more fitness than weight motivated. I want to be able to run a half marathon by October. I do 10k all the time, but the longest run I have managed so far is 17k, and at the moment I feel like a half marathon is impossible. I would love to prove myself wrong. Obviously one day I'd love to do a full marathon, but I can't even think about that right now. I don't know how anyone does it. I am pretty fit, and the idea terrifies me!
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    Great thread!

Last year my neices talked me into doing a half marathon with them this September. I started training Oct last year from absolute zero. By December I ran my first 5k race. In January I did my second 5k race as part of a realy team in a sprint triathlon. To improve my overall fitness I decided to give a sprint triathlon a go as an individual competitor. I entered a fairly major event so I wouldnt back out/give up! I hadnt been on a bike for 30 years and my swimming wasn't that fast - and with only 8 weeks to train - but I did it. Plus the cycle was extra long (50km instead of 20kms). the sense of achievement was massive! A week later I did another 5k race cross country, and in two weeks I have my 3rd sprint triathlon.

I still have a lot of training to do for the half marathon, but I am considerably fitter and a lot more confident about doing it. PLus I have lost 10% of my body weight and dropped two dress sizes. The main drawback for me with my running training is the heat where I live - it is getting very hot now, which isn't good when you are trying to increase your distance :-(.

I think it is important to have a long term fitness goal, but what has kept me training hard is having all these competitions along the way. Once I have done the half marathon, I am seriously thnking of entering a half ironman triathlon next year.

With fitness goals, I have found that once you get to a decent level of core fitness, everything is mental - so you can do anything you want pretty much - as long as you maintain your fitness and train 5 or 6 days a week. When you push yourself, your body can endure a lot, as I have discovered. Just be careful with injuries and not push too much if you get a little grumble or ache that doesnt' feel quite right.
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    I am more fitness than weight motivated. I want to be able to run a half marathon by October. I do 10k all the time, but the longest run I have managed so far is 17k, and at the moment I feel like a half marathon is impossible. I would love to prove myself wrong. Obviously one day I'd love to do a full marathon, but I can't even think about that right now. I don't know how anyone does it. I am pretty fit, and the idea terrifies me!

I go to a running club and they tell me to aim for 18k before the half marathon I am doing in Spetember. You are already there so I wouldnt worry! I am barely managing 10k ...
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My fitness goal is to reach the level of fitness I had when I was in college. I played basket-ball, ran hurdles and the 1600 meter relay. I'm not trying to get back to my racing times but I want to regain some of that speed and endurance. I want to play a pick up game of basket-ball and not get winded.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, because I haven't been very active in the past 10 years, I want to just plain be more active. I was on the diving team in high school and in.... marching band. I had killer muscles and endurance. Now, I can't hardly do anything fitness related without being winded. I want to be able to run with my twins, (They are in track), and play basketball with them, (they are in that as well. )

I know my goals are nothing like what I have read, but I am working on it, and doing my hardets to get moving every day.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    I used to want to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 117. Now after having 2 kids that is definitely no longer my goal. My goal is to be as fit and ripped as I can be. I totally love challenging myself and I feel this is the best challenge for me! Skinny is just not sexy anymore. I was definitely too thin before I had kids.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Mine are running goals. I want to run the Boston Marathon in 2014. Which means I have to qualify in 2013. I'm going to do a couple 5Ks and a 10K this year and a half next year.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I do have a goal! And it's sad, really. :-D

One real pull-up and one unmodified push-up. That's it. Can't remember a time *ever* where I've been able to do either one.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread - I love reading about everyone's goals!

I'm taking my goals one at a time... My current goal is to run a 5K. Tomorrow is my first! I'm planning to do another one in June, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can improve my time. Tomorrow, I'll just be happy to finish. :bigsmile:

After that, I'm going to see what comes my way. My friend has gotten me into running, so I'll suspect she'll keep me going by asking me to do more races with her. Other than that, my long term goals are to get into swimming. I LOVE swimming, but I know my stroke could definitely be improved. There is an adult class at the Y that I want to take some day. I also want to get bikes for our family so we can take family rides. One day a few weeks ago, I thought, "Hmmm, running, swimming, biking... TRIATHLON??" Could be, some day! I love coming up with new goals, keeps things interesting!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be a shredded 225-230 lbs at 6-8% bodyfat. I'm getting there.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I have a fitness goal of exercising for 5000 minutes (about 83 hours) before (or a little after) the baby gets here in early June. Hope I can make it! If that sounds like too much, just know I'm including housework and light walking in that. Nothing overboard. If I can make it, I'm going to allow myself to purchase the Brazil Butt Lift or Chalene Extreme program. So excited!
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Almost 3 years ago I was at my heaviest weight. It was right after my wedding and me, my husband, sister in law and brother in law went hiking up this tall mountain. They were sweating a little bit but was having a good time, taking in the scenery, etc,.. My sister in law even had her baby on her back in a hiking backpack.... Then there was me: I was out of breath, my legs burned, and the only thing I could concentrate on was when they would stop again. I was to embarresed to ask if they would stop.... This summer, I am going to hike it again, and I am going to enjoy it this time around. Hey, I might even run part of the way :happy:
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    2 long-term goals:

1- BQ. That requires more than an hour off my marathon PR of 4:34:40

2- 140.6 (that's not a weight. it's a distance.)
  • dswift88
    dswift88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just want to look like I could take on a UFC fighter. I'm tired of being skinny!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I have lots of fitness goals. :)

~ I want to be able to run 1.5 miles in 12:00 minutes or less and run a 5k in 26:00 minutes or less (my time is around 15:00 now).
    ~ I want to be able to do 50 or more pushups (I can do about 20 now).
    ~ I want to be able to do 10 pullups (can't even do one now).
    ~ I want to be able to bench 105 lbs.
    ~ I want to have some guns and some defined abs! Not bazookas or a six pack.. but.. maybe 45's and some nice ab lines. :)

I WILL get there, and so will all of you!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've already achieved my original goal. Now I just want to keep it.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I want to ride 1,000 miles on my bike this summer.
    I want to get my lungs and legs in shape enough to start climbing the Colorado 14ers.
    I want to get my back into shape so it stops hurting so damn much all the time.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    that is something i CAN do easily -- swam 72 lap miles regularly & loved to swim 60 minutes and more before other things got in the way...e.g. renovations..the pool system hours changed, they started charging etc.

now that I've started running.. I would LOVE to be able to translate that ability into continuous RUNNING though!
    although I now go for 60 or 90 minute 'runs' or more... (3-4 times a week) i'm doing speed intervals of running and walking...
    yesterday was a thrill because I LASTED about 12 minutes of full on running before slipping back into my walk...recovery mode

i don't know why but when it turns into a slow "jog" it just feels SO weird-- something physical inside is telling me my body would still rather walk fast then run slow, but hopefully as I keep at it I will eventually find that sweet spot...

to swim laps continuously for 30min