hey yall, Im new and I really miss food from a window

Options
redtrain
redtrain Posts: 32 Member
I just joined and I have been on a low Cal diet for a little over a week. I dont find myself hungry all the time I just miss the concept of eating whatever looks good on the menu. Im learning to eat vegtable for the first time in my life and so far i am not impressed. Green beans from a can, pickles, and baby carrots seem to be the only ones I can stomache. Im looking for some folks to just kinda chat with and who may be have some advice to keep me on the right path.

Replies

• Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hey redtrain! Welcome to mfp. I'm really sad to hear that you've never eaten vegetables, did you not have them as a child? My mother did a very good job with me and I ate my vegetables and now I'm a mother I make my children eat their vegetables too. I grew up as with most australian families meat and three veg every night. Vegies are so yummy, I'm sure once you start cooking and experimenting you'll love them too. As for tips for getting those vegies in try cooking them up in receipe's then you'll hardly even notice them there. Best of luck to you.
  • carolyn28
    Options
    Most veges from a can can taste really yuk. Buy them fresh and cook them. They will taste nicer. Good luck.
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    Glad you have made some healthy choices and are getting on the right track!! Best of luck to you!!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    hey redtrain, As a vegetarian I guess I'm not the right one to advise you. Although there are a few vegies I don't like. Find 1 you like, try fresh, and build on that. Adding fresh herbs to them also helps. Go to your supermarket and look at the fresh produce and buy a little of what attracts you. Google a recipe for it and work from there. Fresh salads are easy. Take your basic. Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot, with a piece of chicken or fish (take advice from a meat eater). Good Luck. Always willing to help you with vegies.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hi and good luck on your journey to better health--vegetables will definitely help with that! Maybe you can find some ways to prepare veggies on these boards....it's better to start off eating them with some butter or whatever you need than to not eat them at all, I would think. Or maybe there are some on-the-healthy-side dips you can eat with raw veggies. In any case, good luck and feel free to add me if you want.
    -LP
  • locomotion
    Options
    Hey.. me too, I never ate veggies until I started MFP. Still don't enjoy them but they are super low in calories so.. :blushing:

And yeah the fresh veggies definitely taste better! Some veggies I find tolerable and are super low in calories are cabbage, lettuce, tomato, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, and turnip, try cooking these with whatever food you like.
  • laromeo
    laromeo Posts: 14
    Options
    If you can't get fresh - frozen veggies are ALWAYS better than canned.

Go for crunchy veggies with some protein in a stir fry with a marinade (there are tons of great ones in the condiments aisles) to add extra flavor and pop!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Hi!! If you don't like veggies then try to stir-fry them in a little virgin olive oil with seasonings. Cook some lean protein, chop it up and mix it in. Thats the only way I can really eat broccoli and cauliflower.

Good luck to you!
  • microfat
    microfat Posts: 44
    Options
    You need to be getting a pan. add a little olive oil....cut up some fresh veggies.. add what spices u like and all is good!!
  • hairspray74
    Options
    welcome to mfp! you'll love it here! some days I eat alot of veggies,and some days I eat fruit, they never seem to be balanced! you or anyone can add me! grill some squash, green beans and even beets, just get some spray butter wrap em in foil and grill for a few mins, amazing!!! so much better than canned!!!!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Most veges from a can can taste really yuk. Buy them fresh and cook them. They will taste nicer. Good luck.

FOR REAL! canned veggies are the WORST judge of what a veggie tastes like. even frozen ones are better than canned, but fresh taste best. i would at LEAST try frozen ones. especially frozen peas.
  • paschtat85
    Options
    Fresh veggies are wonderful....I also like frozen. Green Giant makes wonderful string green beans with slivered almonds in a steam bag...also the honey glazed carrotts are good. And try mixing with another food - like rice...that's what I do. Witht he fresh ones...Olive oil - just a titch...and sprinkle of Johnny's seasoning....sometimes a little shredded cheese on top too.