FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!!

Options
So, finally did it... yup... broke down into tears yesterday because I have not lost a single pound in 2 weeks! I have been busting my butt and nothing to show for it. About 6 years ago, I weighed 297. Got on Weight Watchers and got down to 135lbs. Then I got married and put 50lbs back on. October 2010 I weighed 185... got serious in about november, got back on weight watchers, found fitness pal about a month or so ago, and I am now down to 170. I got down to 169 last week, but now back up to 170

WHAT IS GOING ON????? I have been watching what I eat, I am under my calorie goal daily, which is 1200 a day. I have been running on a treadmil (about 2.5 miles) or doing the eliptical for 30 minutes a day at about 75/80 strides per minute. Started doing some weight lifting as well... and NOTHING!!!!!!! NOT A SINGLE THING!!! It's all I think about. I think about it so much I have become obsessed with weight loss. I don't know what else to do... cut back my food? I need to try to work in more excercise, but with my work schedule, its difficult.

I can't stop obsessing over the fact that I can't lose anything, I am starting to get really depressed about it. The first go around from 297 to 135 the weight just fell off. Its SOOO much harder this time. And I didn't even do much excersice last time!!

Please help!!! Words of encouragement, advice, ANYTHING!!! I am about to go crazy!!

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I tried to view you food diary, if make it public that might help. If you are eating 1200 cal and exercising, you might not be eating enough. You should be eating 1200 calories after your exercies. The other thing, you are getting closer to your goal, you might want to make sure you have you setting to lose 1 lb a week and no more. You deffinitly want to make sure you are feeding your body what it needs.

Best wishes
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first poster. Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I can only say I agree. Make sure you are getting 1200 calories with your exercise and watch your sodium. Drink plenty of water.
    Don't stress too much. I know it is frustrating but the scales don't take into account everything. I mean they don't say what part of that number is water fat muscle or bones. :flowerforyou:
  • patricepeop
    patricepeop Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You really need to eat 1200 calories! I found that anytime I tried to kick it up and lose by not eating 1200 calories I just stopped losing! Eat:)
  • MphsThomas
    Options
    get a new scale, sounds like to me your working hard at it.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the body just does crazy things... I generally only have one week of real progress on the scale each month... And that's primarily because TOM messes with me for two weeks before/after. Sodium could also attribute to it (while I was under my calories Tuesday, I ate sushi for lunch which put me way over on sodium). Lots of things...

It IS hard to keep going when you're not seeing those results on the scale. Are you also keeping track of your measurements?

You just gotta keep plugging along, and results will happen. Maybe not on your timeline, but it will happen.

I'm getting ready to wrap up my one-year healthy lifestyle... my goal was to lose 52 pounds, but I think I'll "only" get to the 40-mark. But hey - 40 is still gosh-darn impressive!!!

You're doing great - keep it up!!
  • HDurow1018
    HDurow1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't have a whole lot of advice on why what your doing isn't working but from what I have read in other posts, make sure you are eating back your exercise calories, getting enough water and (since your lifting weights) take your measurements since muscle weighs more than fat. I only know what I have read on MFP but that seems to be alot of the advice that has worked for others.

Try to take a deep breath and step back for a minute! You have done ALOT and need to realize that it will happen just not as quickly as the first time. But you know you can do it! I haven't been doing this very long but it takes a while to get in the groove. Have confidence...you'll get it figured out :happy:

:flowerforyou:
  • WarmFuzzy
    WarmFuzzy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just read a blog post by Newmeat30 who put up pictures of herself before & after a 2 month fitness program.
    She only lost 12 scale pounds. BUT her body looks like she lost 50 pounds!!! In her face, midsection, buttocks, arms, breasts.... it was amazing!

you mention that you are doing daily cardio & adding in strength. It could be that your body needs to adjust, & is making exchanges - burning off fat as fast as it is replacing with muscle.

remember, weight is only one measurement we have of how we are doing healthwise - nutrition facts, size, muscle tone all add into the total picture.

Also, because you have lost a significant amount of weight once, & then put it back on, your body is going to fight harder to keep it...

Give it some more time (I've plateaued after only 4 days, I KNOW how hard that can be!) and don't stop working out or eating right... things will change, & you will love the results! =-)
  • Pakitalian85
    Pakitalian85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. Just made my food diary public... I didn't know it was private :(

I haven't been eating my excercise calories :(

Drinking 8+ glasses of water

Do you think I need to excercise more?? This used to be a piece of cake for me... I have lost 162 lbs before for crying out loud! Without excercise!!!

Thank you all... I need this help badly :(

Looking to make some more friends too... Its nice to be able to share experiences with everyone....
  • tnford
    tnford Posts: 3
    Options
    I think it's natural to be frustrated. I've read in the past that if you don't eat enough food to support the amount of exercise you're doing, the weight will be slow to come off. It's almost like you're body thinks you're starving your self and it will preserve fat. So try to eat more. Not sure if you are opposed to taking supplements, but fat burners have helped me in the past when I hit a platuea. Good luck!
  • KaseyWB
    KaseyWB Posts: 15
    Options
    Been there done that. Here is a quote from this site "too much exercise and not enough food= plateau". You need to eat more. Eat back your exercise calories. Your body needs fuel. Try not to go under 1200 net calories a day. When I started eating my exercise calories back I started losing again.
  • Jackie0127
    Jackie0127 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! It took 4 weeks for me start seeing results! :noway: But, now its starting to come off, slowly but surely. Drink lots of water. If you know you will be excersicing that day, push for 1400 calories that day instead. It is hard, but remember you are doing it on your own and the natural way. Instead of thinking of a diet, think lifestyle change, so that you always make healthy choices for yourself. Fill your day with fruits and veggies. And if you need to fill those calories, try making a proten shake/smoothie. We are all different. But, somehow we do end up with the same results, some of us later than sooner, but the weight does come off.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • coolani
    coolani Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is hard when you are working so hard and feel that you arent seeing the benefis. How often do you weigh yourself? Try not to get on he scale more than once a week as a previous poster said, the scales dont tell the whole story and fluid, ups and downs, etc. You said that you would like to fit in more exercise but it it hard. Is there a way you could fit in walking while on break? even 20 minutes...?? starting a walking club at work?? Dont know the situation. Remember that it is a process and there are never any quick solutions...unfortuantely. Believe me, I know, I am 58 and have been working at keeping my weight down all my life! Now with MFP tool, I think it will help me as I am a very visual person who needs to see things in black and white..
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. Just made my food diary public... I didn't know it was private :(

I haven't been eating my excercise calories :(

Drinking 8+ glasses of water

Do you think I need to excercise more?? This used to be a piece of cake for me... I have lost 162 lbs before for crying out loud! Without excercise!!!

Thank you all... I need this help badly :(

Looking to make some more friends too... Its nice to be able to share experiences with everyone....

Add more calories first. Adding more exercise will just make it worse. Too much exercise - especially cardio - can have a detrimental effect on weight loss. Incorporate some strength training into your routine to help preserve that muscle mass - this is what makes your metabolism. You won't get bulky. It's almost impossible on a calorie restriction and being female you won't get muscles like a man.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3926473&SPShared=TRUE

This link shows what can happen if you lift weights.

The reason you lost so much weight before is you lost a lot of muscle mass along with that fat mass. You will see the scale number go down much faster than if you lost only fat mass. And you slowed your metabolism doing it so when you went off the diet your body gained weight more quickly than before you lost it.
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said, our bodies are quite good at ensuring we don't starve to death lol. I tried to kick-start my weight loss a couple weeks ago by eating less than 1200 cals (bad Kat!) and not eating back my exercise cals as well. Did I lose any weight? NO! And I still have quite a bit to lose too! I've upped my cals and although I haven't officially input a loss this week, I sneaked onto the scales this morning and I've already lost a pound.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Bump your calories up to 1400 or 1500 and see waht happens (I lost 4 lbs in 1 week when I did it)
  • Pakitalian85
    Options
    I know what you mean! I have been tempted to cut back calories... but I don't think that will help. Understand your frustration!
  • Pakitalian85
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I have read all of the articles everyone has posted. Thank you for sparing a few minutes for me. I have really needed the encouragement. I think I have to find a way to work more fruits and veggies in my diet as well. Im not big on veggies, but I LOVE salads!

Thanks again everyone. All of the kind words and encouragement were exactly what I needed!