i seriously cried a bit yesterday

Options
has this happened to anyone?

ok so u look in the mirror and like most people u can point out what u hate the most.. and for me, i look and see that ok well im bigger then what i used to be before the baby but itry to stay positive. i know my arms are bigger and my stomach needs to be toned but i think eventually it will be, and u see yourself and say ok, i feel like im in the middle, not as small, not as big so its ok, eventually ill be back to where i was but i'm close, halfway there.

i did a shoot yesterday and got the all the pics before editing and theres a few where i just dont look great but it could be the angle. but then there are these straight on, no weird angle, just me photos, im wearing tight close so my whole body is pretty outlined..

and i cried.
i CRIED.
because it was a slap in the face, im sooooo much bigger then what i see in the mirror, like, i cant even believe its me! its hard to explain but like i said, i know im bigger, and i see what i look like in the mirror, but when u see a pic of yourself and realize, well no, im not even close to what i was or where i want to be, its just so depressing. and whats worse is i ont know what to do about it! its not like oh well i haveto eat better or workout, thats what im doing, so what else is there to do? thats the icing on the cake that i cant eat.

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm not sure how old you are butt if you are in your 30s or 40s it's going to be harder as a woman (damn hormones!!). What you did in your 20s will not work in your 30s and so on.

My advice is to change it up. Join Groupon or another coupon service and when one comes your way for an exercise class in your area take it! Try something different, muscle confusion is good! :)

And remember, it's all about the teacher. If it's a class where the teacher is awesome and supportive you'll be more likely to go. Seek out something different like martial arts or Zumba.
  • Tiffany1111
    Tiffany1111 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try to stay positive because we have all been there before. Remember that the best way to sustain weight loss is slow and gradual changes to your lifestyle not fast, because the faster you lose you can gain it back just as fast, if not quicker. You are taking the right steps and just focus on the photos you loved with the nice angles, their perfect for inspiration, maybe put it on your fridge as a reminder of what you want and what really matters to you. Good luck!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I can SOOO relate. I guess that's why they suggest before and after pictures.... but I have been so camera averse that I don't have a before pic. But anyway, I guess that' why we are on this site and are committed to change. You are doing a great job with the weight loss. Once you are at goal retake those pictures and frame them! All the best!
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You keep focused on your daily goals. You keep those pictures to remind you of why you're doing this. Then one day-- you'll take new pictures and see how far you've come. :happy:
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My pictures make me look bigger than I thought too. Progress pictures are such a good idea.
  • makeupartist12
    Options
    this has happened to me.....which caused me to take my weight loss serious!!!! I just used it as motivation and said next time i take a picture I will like what i see!!!!
  • 54fevers
    54fevers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't always believe a camera/picture! Being a human you are 3-D, and a photo is 2-D. So whenever you put 3-D object on a 2-D surface, there's going to be some distortion involved. It might not be as dramatic as some people say ("the camera adds 10 pounds") but I believe that a mirror is more accurate!

Don't get too worried about it. Just stay positive. You're doing great. :D
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I've SO been where you are. Heck, I'm still there.

I lost my baby weight really quick. But I'm just not yet in the shape that I was before, physically. I HATE making excuses, but it's SO difficult to exercise. I know I just have to get up at 5:00 before work every day. I just have to do it.

All I can say is keep on keeping on....just know that others, especially that have had babies, feel the same way!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Honestly, I really don't think we see right. I too can look in the mirror--see what I see--and it is NOTHING like what I see when I look at a photo. NOTHING!! It's like some kind of cruel joke.
    But, here at MFP, we are on the right path. We have the tools and the support to make changes. Keep at it, I have faith that you will be successful!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    has this happened to anyone?

ok so u look in the mirror and like most people u can point out what u hate the most.. and for me, i look and see that ok well im bigger then what i used to be before the baby but itry to stay positive. i know my arms are bigger and my stomach needs to be toned but i think eventually it will be, and u see yourself and say ok, i feel like im in the middle, not as small, not as big so its ok, eventually ill be back to where i was but i'm close, halfway there.

i did a shoot yesterday and got the all the pics before editing and theres a few where i just dont look great but it could be the angle. but then there are these straight on, no weird angle, just me photos, im wearing tight close so my whole body is pretty outlined..

and i cried.
    i CRIED.
    because it was a slap in the face, im sooooo much bigger then what i see in the mirror, like, i cant even believe its me! its hard to explain but like i said, i know im bigger, and i see what i look like in the mirror, but when u see a pic of yourself and realize, well no, im not even close to what i was or where i want to be, its just so depressing. and whats worse is i ont know what to do about it! its not like oh well i haveto eat better or workout, thats what im doing, so what else is there to do? thats the icing on the cake that i cant eat.

The camera adds weight. And we see ourselves in a different way than other people do. Some days I look in the mirror and think "girl you're looking good". Other days I think "you're never going to get rid of that belly" or "I still need this to look better".
    You have to stay positive. Stress will mess with weight loss.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness. I'm sure everyone has been, and will be again, where you were when you cried. EVERYONE tends to look bigger on TV and pictures. Make no mistake about that. Thats why people who spend their time on TV are often boney because thats the only way they don't look fat (in their minds). Take a deep breath. You already know what you need to do. Just continue doing it to be healthy for you. Eat your alotted calories, exercise almost every day and you'll see results =)

Good luck to you!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Everyday is a battle. Cameras dont tell the complete picture either. Most of us look bigger in pictures and video. I know how you feel. Some days I look at my body and am impressed other days I look and say yep still jiggly. tomororw will be a better day. Hang in there. It's so worth it.
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I know what you mean. After I started to lose weight and was feeling better about myself I scheduled a family picture. We hadn't had one taken for 7 years because of me being overweight and not wanting to get one. When we got the pictures back I was shocked at how I still looked. I had come a long way but still definitely had a way to go. Now I am on the other end where I should be feeling good as I am back to pre-marriage weight but I still feel overweight. Just saying this to let you know you are not alone. Keep eating well and exercising and you will eventually get to where you like what you see in the mirror. No one is perfect. We should love ourselves as we progress to our goals.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I had my eating disorder (still recovering) I'd look in the mirror and cry every day. I just didn't physically see what I really looked like, in my head I was still this big fat overweight lump of tissue. Now that I'm eating better I can see that I AM thinner and feel proud that I'm doing it the healthy way now, whereas before all I saw was fat.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Sorry you feel that way! Reality checks are a hard pill to swallow. You are your hardest critic!

I suggest taking a good look at your food diary first:
    Are you being totally truthful? Are you letting "old habits" sneak back in unknowingly? Are you logging EVERYTHING?
    Try to eat realllly clean for maybe two weeks. Cut out the snacks! Avoid sodium at all costs. Increase water...etc. etc. etc.

I can't swear by zumba enough as a great weight loss tool. It ESPECIALLY slims the middle and it will give you back some of the confidence you have lost! You will feel sexy and have a good time! Look for class in your area that meets at least twice a week. Two other days a week, do cardio and strength training. These things have really worked for me.

GOOD LUCK and don't give up! These days are the hardest. You CAN and WILL succeed. Believe in yourself!
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sorry you feel that way! Reality checks are a hard pill to swallow. You are your hardest critic!

I suggest taking a good look at your food diary first:
    Are you being totally truthful? Are you letting "old habits" sneak back in unknowingly? Are you logging EVERYTHING?
    Try to eat realllly clean for maybe two weeks. Cut out the snacks! Avoid sodium at all costs. Increase water...etc. etc. etc.

I can't swear by zumba enough as a great weight loss tool. It ESPECIALLY slims the middle and it will give you back some of the confidence you have lost! You will feel sexy and have a good time! Look for class in your area that meets at least twice a week. Two other days a week, do cardio and strength training. These things have really worked for me.

GOOD LUCK and don't give up! These days are the hardest. You CAN and WILL succeed. Believe in yourself!

yep i log EVERYTHING. if i eat 1 grape, i log it. my sodium is high, stil lin my daily goal but i drink alot of water to combat that, and im slowely working on lowering my sodium, i just started paying ttention to it cause i didnt know u can add it to your diary. i drink at least 8 glasses a day. right now i do 30 day shred, im on L3, today is day 5 or 6 and i do zumba everyday after it.
  • tiffneydye
    Options
    Yes that has happened to me.. I have had 11 pregnancies throughe years and only carried 4 to term. Just last night I was on the phone with my mom and told her my inches around my waist and I had to say it a couple times for her to believe me. She said, "there is no way you are that big, you must get the way you carry it from your aunt). It is so hard to lose weight the older you get.. I will be 30 in June and it is hard to lose my weight back down. I had it down but I have fibromyalgia and the medicine they put me on a year ago I gained 40 lbs in 1 moth!!

Now to tell you how I am losing my weight. It is not a lot at a time but I am losing weight. Have you ever saw the infomercial for P90X?My husband does that and it works! IN THE first week my hubby lost 6 pounds and I lost 6 inches. I am not allowed to do that particular routine of exercise any home! Turbo Jam is what I do now! It is a total body workout! It is kickboxing and dancing all in one. I love it!

Here is our web store website in case your interested or know someone he is! If you join the monthly club you save 10% but if you become a coach you safe 30% and have a chance at making money.

http://beachbodycoach.com/nickdye
  • Jamberlee
    Options
    I had a moment just like that. After I had my daugther in June I thought I looked great in the mirror in my black tight outfit, Pictures were taken of me at a party and I still remember till this day how I felt when I looked at those pictures. I cryed :sad: and then I did something about it. I still feel that I look better in person than I ever do in pictures. My goal for 2011 is to look the same in both. We can do this hun. No more tears. We will show the weight whos boss!!!! :smile:
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    This was a big motivator for me as well, seeing pictures of myself. I tell my husband I must have the opposite of anorexia, because you know how a really skinny anorexic looks in the mirror and sees herself as a lot bigger than what she is, well apparently I look in the mirror and see myself as a lot smaller than what I am lol.
  • bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    from what i can see you look good ,i wouldn't let the mirror or pictures dictate your life