A bad day

Options
How bad should I feel about blowing all I have worked for one day??

Saturday we are celebrating Easter with my husband's family. There will be roast beef, ham, mashed potatoes, noodles, stuffing, rolls, and my infamous chocolate cream and coconut cream pies (all the stuff I LOVE to eat). :sad:

Should I just not eat that day until supper, or allow myself this one indulgence?

Hubby says not to eat the pies. :angry: But I make them every holiday and have no willpower when it comes to them. I just know that the meal will probably be my entire calories for the day.

Any adivce on how to handle this day?

Thank you all,

Diane

Replies

• forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you truly don't want to blow it, consider eating before you go. That way you can just "nibble" on some of the goodies. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I like forever28's suggestion. Eat a really huge salad or something that is really healthy and really filling before you go that way you only eat a bite or two of each thing. Something to keep in mind is that this is a decision that only you can really make. And whatever plan you come up with you should do your best to stick to it and then your choices won't feel like a failure
  • LyndseyMcKnight7
    Options
    I would definitely try to stay away from the pies, but if you must, then have a little...I plan on cheating that day, but just trying to watch my portions and eat slowly so that way I stop when I am satisfied instead of stuffing myself (as I usually do on holidays) Good luck to you and Happy Easter!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    How bad should I feel about blowing all I have worked for one day??

Saturday we are celebrating Easter with my husband's family. There will be roast beef, ham, mashed potatoes, noodles, stuffing, rolls, and my infamous chocolate cream and coconut cream pies (all the stuff I LOVE to eat). :sad:

Should I just not eat that day until supper, or allow myself this one indulgence?

Hubby says not to eat the pies. :angry: But I make them every holiday and have no willpower when it comes to them. I just know that the meal will probably be my entire calories for the day.

Any adivce on how to handle this day?

Thank you all,

Diane

EAt the food you love, smaller portions.
  • dmsnurse
    dmsnurse Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I could probably split a piece of pie with my daughter.

Diane
  • bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i would maybe get a workout in before and eat alittle before you go and then portion out your easter dinner
  • bltmgray
    bltmgray Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderationl. If you want a piece of your pie, have one, but make it a small. Never deprive yourself of something you want to eat. Just be mindful of how much you are eating and you will have a great day. Don't stress about it, it's not worth it. You'll overeat if you do. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • VOLume5973
    Options
    I think it would have to depend on how strictly you follow your diet/excersise during the regular days. I know that I am extreemly A.R. about my diet and excersise routine every day. Therefore, on 'special occasion' days, like holidays, I eat what I want (within reason) making sure I return to my routine the next day. I think one of the biggest reasons people fail in thier diets is that they tend to get burned out (I know I have done this).

If, however, you are not 100% disiplined when it comes to your diet and excersise routine during the regular days, you might want to pass on your pie. or just grab a sliver. Good luck!
  • brandon74352
    Options
    I agree with most of the other post. Just eat small portions and dont go overboard. Just dont look at it as a failure, but as a reward for the hard work that you have done so far. On sunday morning go back to your diet and routine that has been working for you. I think that a lot of people "cheat" on their diet and then use it to justify "cheating" again the next day and the next day until they are back to their old eating habits. Just chalk it up as a reward and return to your diet on sunday and you will be fine. The food sounds yummy ;-)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what the others said. My strategy for dealing with family dinners has been to take some lean proteins if they are offered (I only eat birds and fish so usually there is a lean protein for me), and then fill my plate with mostly veggies. If I have starchy veggies like potatoes, I try to take just a little bit.

Then I have a half- or quarter-piece of whatever desserts are offered! The first time I did that a couple months ago, I got a REALLY strange look from my grandmother who had made the cheesecake. I simply said, "Oh, I've started watching my figure," and it was fine. :) Then I got to eat dessert with everyone else, and still stay mostly within my calorie goals.

Maybe you can see what your maintenance calories are for a day, and instead of trying to keep to your weight loss calories, just try not to go much over your maintenance. :) Good luck, but most important... enjoy!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Oh, and personally, I would turn down the dinner rolls, but have a bit of stuffing instead. :) Mostly because I like stuffing a LOT more than I like boring old dinner rolls! But again, small portions is key.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Everything in moderationl. If you want a piece of your pie, have one, but make it a small. Never deprive yourself of something you want to eat. Just be mindful of how much you are eating and you will have a great day. Don't stress about it, it's not worth it. You'll overeat if you do. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
    I agree. Moderation! Eat what you want to eat just eat a smaller portion. No need to deprive yourself because then it wont be an ejoyable experience for you. It's just one day enjoy it and work hard the next day.
  • blue3628
    blue3628 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, the more you work out that day, the more calories you have to play with! good luck! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!