The most fun I've ever had working out!!!!!

Options
So my new workout is GEOCACHING! Pronounced geo-cashing. For those of you who don't know this is how it works..
Basically a "geocasher" leaves a container of treasure or "geocash" usually in the woods. They post the coordinates of longitude and latitude (location) online and you can then plug that into your gps and go hunting for it! It's basically hiking, but much more fun! Here's the link to the website, it has more info, a search for ones in your area, and a place to log all of your geocaching experiences.

http://www.geocaching.com/

And feel free to add me on the site! My username is hanna.hopkins90

Replies

• froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do something similar called letterboxing. We made our own stamps and everything. alot of fun!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    my hubby and I have done this in the southern california area and we love it too!!

:smile:
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If this was facebook I would *like* this about a million times!!!! I went once with my boyfriend and I've been dying to go again.. He joined the Marines and moved away.. :/ but it definitely is super fun!
  • HannaSavannah
    HannaSavannah Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do something similar called letterboxing. We made our own stamps and everything. alot of fun!

What is letterboxing? I've never heard of it but it sounds like fun!!
  • HannaSavannah
    Options
    If this was facebook I would *like* this about a million times!!!! I went once with my boyfriend and I've been dying to go again.. He joined the Marines and moved away.. :/ but it definitely is super fun!

I've heard about it plenty of times but I thought with the nice spring weather I'd start doing it! I've been working on convincing some of my friends to go, and everybody thinks it's a great idea, you should ask somebody to go with you sometime!
  • laur89
    laur89 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love geocaching. I'm not very good at it though.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I am signing up RIGHT now! I knew about it already but never really looked into it. We hike, camp, kayak, mt bike and off road OFTEN! Why the heck hadn't we done this yet? Well... Maybe the first one will be this weekend!!! Thank you!!
  • Ty_1227
    Ty_1227 Posts: 40
    Options
    Haven't done it since boy scouts but I remember it was a fun way to spend an afternoon. They made us go old school on one of them though and we had to use the old compass + map techniques... THAT was a mega pain.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks! I'll have to remember this :) I was looking there are actually some in my area LOL
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    OMG There are soooo many within such a short distance of where we live! This is insane! There is no way I can decide!!!!!!
  • HannaSavannah
    Options
    You're welcome everybody! There's a mountain that I frequently climb, I never knew there were 10 caches along the hike!!!!!!! They're everywhere, haha. Hope we can all get into it, or back into it. Let me know how it goes! :)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    You're welcome everybody! There's a mountain that I frequently climb, I never knew there were 10 caches along the hike!!!!!!! They're everywhere, haha. Hope we can all get into it, or back into it. Let me know how it goes! :)
    Where do you live currently? I read in your profile you were planning to move to Georgia... have you? Just curious. I am in Washington State-holy guacamole! The caches are ENDLESS! There are 2 inside of our favorite camp ground near Mt Rainier and a MILLION throughout the park. There are actually 10 within a mile radius of my house in Mukilteo! HAHAHA Crazy stufff!
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i want to try this! what sort of things do people hide?? fun :D
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options

Crap, this reminds me I have a travel bug I need to place! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Where do you live currently? I read in your profile you were planning to move to Georgia... have you? Just curious. I am in Washington State-holy guacamole! The caches are ENDLESS! There are 2 inside of our favorite camp ground near Mt Rainier and a MILLION throughout the park. There are actually 10 within a mile radius of my house in Mukilteo! HAHAHA Crazy stufff!

Shawnalee, I live in the area too....we don't even need to take our GPS or maps. We should be able to stumble upon the treasures - there are so many of them.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

Shawnalee, I live in the area too....we don't even need to take our GPS or maps. We should be able to stumble upon the treasures - there are so many of them.
    That's what i am thinking! So many! I zoomed out show Mukilteo/edmonds/seattle and it wouldn't let me!! There were tooooo many! ;) Fun stuff, kind of overwhelming but great! We will definitely be adding a treasure hunt to our hikes this year!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    there is a cute video on the website :-D
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options

What is letterboxing? I've never heard of it but it sounds like fun!!

We are letterboxers too! So much fun!!

A letterbox is like a geocache except it always contains a rubber stamp and a log book, both of which stay in the box. As a letterboxer, you also have your own personal rubber stamp. When you find the letterbox, you stamp with your personal stamp in the box's log book to mark that you were there and then you stamp the letterbox's stamp into your own personal log book as a record of your find! You don't need a GPS, but in some cases you do need a compass. All letterbox clues can be found on www.letterboxing.org.

We have evern created and hidden several letterboxes of our own for others to find! It's fun to look in the log book when you find a box to see who else has been there and where they were from!
  • HannaSavannah
    Options
    I still travel between Vermont and Savannah! It seems like the only thing people do up here is go hiking! So there are plenty of places to hides caches! I hid one recently with all sorts of "girly" items, some costume jewelry nailpolish etc. I have an old mp3 player that I plan to hide next so first to find will get it!!