Am I working out right?

Options
So I go to the gym on Sun, Mon, Wed, Thur, sometimes Fri.

I do 20 mins on elliptical, with minute high intensity sprints every 3rd minute.
Then I do weight machines, probably for 20 minutes, 2 sets of 10.
10-15 minutes of moderate (4.0) walking.

Is it true that I shouldn't do weights every day? Or cardio every day? I'm "starting" to actually enjoy the gym, but I wouldn't say that I know what the hell I'm doing there.

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Bump

I've heard it's good to switch up your routine, but I'm not sure about weights everyday...
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    yup muscles need a rest from weights so its good to do one day on and one off. if you wanted to do weights everyday you could though but split your routine so that one day you do legs the next you do arms. cardio you could do everyday though if you liked especially as you are using walking as part of your routine.

the elipitical is good - and your doing intervals which will really get your heart rate pumping. you could always add in other machines or a class if you feel up to it but id say go with what you enjoy and that way you will stick to your workout goals :)
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can do weights on consecutive days but make sure you are working out different body parts, ie legs and arms, chest and back.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    With weights it's good to get recovery days in and take a day off. What a lot of people do is one day do upper body and then the next day do lower body.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    if you are going to do weights every day just rotate what you work. do upper body on day and then lower the next. Also i have had a trainer tell me that if you do your cardio after lifting weights its more effective. hope this helps
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    You're getting in exercise, and you're burning calories, and that's good.

here's a tip: don't do the same exercises each time. It's okay to do weights every day, but mix it up. Maybe like this:

Sunday: Chest, Triceps
    Monday: Back, Biceps

Wednesday: Legs, Shoulders
    Thursday: Chest, Triceps

Then the next week you'd start with Back/Biceps on Sunday, and keep rotating through the three different workouts. That way you always have at least 3 days between working the same muscles to give them time to recover. Also, make sure you're lifting enough weight. If you do 10 reps with a weight you could comfortably lift 15 times, you're not benefiting much in the strength category. Yes you're still burning some calories, but you want to make long-term gains with weights. You'd burn more calories per minute on the treadmill, but weight training will help you more in the long term (nto saying cardio isn't important. Do both!)

Hope this makes a little sense...
  • schnarfo
    Options
    if you are going to do weights every day just rotate what you work. do upper body on eday adn then lower the next. Also i have had a trainer tell me that if you do yoru cardio after lifting weights its more effective. hope this helps

now ive heard the opposite is true... my trainer has always said its better to do cardio and then weights followed by some protein - maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can shed some light on which is the best option
  • McPenguin
    McPenguin Posts: 67
    Options
    if you are going to do weights every day just rotate what you work. do upper body on eday adn then lower the next. Also i have had a trainer tell me that if you do yoru cardio after lifting weights its more effective. hope this helps

now ive heard the opposite is true... my trainer has always said its better to do cardio and then weights followed by some protein - maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can shed some light on which is the best option

My trainer once said to do 10 to 15 minutes of cardio before weight training just to get the heart and blood pumping, and warm up the muscles. It makes the weight training more effective. But she also said if I wanted to follow my weight training with cardio for a longer period of time, that was fine as well.

I think a LOT of trainers and doctors are going to have a LOT of different information. The only thing that works is what works for YOU. Everyone's going to have a different answer on this!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Also, make sure you're lifting enough weight. If you do 10 reps with a weight you could comfortably lift 15 times, you're not benefiting much in the strength category.

The gym/trainer guy said that I should stay at the same weight (10-15 pounds depending on the machine) and the last rep should make me wonder if I can finish it. When I get to the point that I can do that last one comfortably then I should up the reps, but not the weight. I don't need to be ripped, I would just like to not jiggle. That sounds logical right?
  • baldzach
    Options
    Also, make sure you're lifting enough weight. If you do 10 reps with a weight you could comfortably lift 15 times, you're not benefiting much in the strength category.

The gym/trainer guy said that I should stay at the same weight (10-15 pounds depending on the machine) and the last rep should make me wonder if I can finish it. When I get to the point that I can do that last one comfortably then I should up the reps, but not the weight. I don't need to be ripped, I would just like to not jiggle. That sounds logical right?

This is actually one of the oldest fitness myths in the book. Unless you're taking testosterone or eating an obscene amount of protein, you're not going to bulk up. 8-10 reps is plenty, and when that gets easy, add weight .Trust me.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

If you do cardio first then you won't be able to reap the full benefits of the weights (your muscles will be tired out). If you do weights first you burn off the stored glycogen so when you hit the cardio you are ready for fat burning. (It takes about 20 minutes of cardio before the body starts digging into stored fat reserves).

In the end it comes down to choice.
  • McPenguin
    McPenguin Posts: 67
    Options
    Oh, and to answer the original poster's questions - you should give muscle groups a chance to heal between workouts. With weights, you are causing tiny tears in the muscle. When they heal - the make the muscle larger. This is how we build muscle. You should take a day off between weights... but like the others have said, you can always work a different muscle group on the off day.

Also, I think you can do cardio everyday if your body lets you!

My mother has Fibromyalgia, and has a very hard time getting her body to heal from workouts. She requires an extra day, even from cardio. But me - I started with every 2nd day... and now I workout 6+ days a week.

Do what you can, mix it up and make it fun. Above all, LISTEN to your body. If you need a day in between, take it. It's better than a potential injury that could keep you away from working out for a long time!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    This is actually one of the oldest fitness myths in the book.

There's a book???? I want the book!
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    I think your doing great! Here's the thing. I think a lot of folks have heard that you should not do this and not do that etc.. I think any movement is good. I like your workout routine. The myths that everyones workout should be like a bodybuilder so we should follow those rules is silly. Bodybuilders, powerlifters etc.. have a totally different goal than us. Listen to your personal trainer he/she knows you through conversation etc.. I would say change up your routine when it gets boring. When your not excited to go get er done then mix it up, increase weights, do different exercises etc.. The most important thing is you just do it. All the best.
  • baldzach
    Options
    This is actually one of the oldest fitness myths in the book.

There's a book???? I want the book!

There are lots of books. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

This is actually one of the oldest fitness myths in the book. Unless you're taking testosterone or eating an obscene amount of protein, you're not going to bulk up. 8-10 reps is plenty, and when that gets easy, add weight .Trust me.

I've heard a combination of the two. Start at a comfortable weight so by the 8th of 10 reps, you're feeling some muscle exhaustion. Once that gets easy, add a 2nd set, then add a 3rd set. Once the 3rd set is easy, start over by upping the weight and doing one set

As far as cardio 1st or weights 1st, I've also been told to do 10-15 minutes of cardio to get warmed up then do weights then do more cardio. I personally do all my cardio first and then do weights.
  • schnarfo
    Options

If you do cardio first then you won't be able to reap the full benefits of the weights (your muscles will be tired out). If you do weights first you burn off the stored glycogen so when you hit the cardio you are ready for fat burning. (It takes about 20 minutes of cardio before the body starts digging into stored fat reserves).

In the end it comes down to choice.

what if you have very little fat stored? does this mean during cardio your muscles are being used as fuel?
  • baldzach
    Options

what if you have very little fat stored? does this mean during cardio your muscles are being used as fuel?

No. You have about 2000 calories of stored glycogen (sugar) in your muscles and liver. That's enough for a good 2 hour run or over an hour of muscle-busting sprinting. And even someone with very little body fat (say 5% on a 150 lb person) still has several thousand calories of body fat. Now your body isn't going let you burn all of your glycogen (that's called "bonking" and it's not fun), nor is it going to let you burn through all of your fat. But you have enough to go for hours before you need to worry about eating away at your muscle in any given workout.
  • schnarfo
    Options

No. You have about 2000 calories of stored glycogen (sugar) in your muscles and liver. That's enough for a good 2 hour run or over an hour of muscle-busting sprinting. And even someone with very little body fat (say 5% on a 150 lb person) still has several thousand calories of body fat. Now your body isn't going let you burn all of your glycogen (that's called "bonking" and it's not fun), nor is it going to let you burn through all of your fat. But you have enough to go for hours before you need to worry about eating away at your muscle in any given workout.

thank you for answering that for me and sorry to the op for hijacking thread with that question :)

to the op - your doing great keep it up and once you feel happy try mixing things up it will stop you getting bored if nothing else and help keep you enjoying the gym :)