New workout ideas.

Options
I've been training with the elliptical for a few weeks now and the weight is coming off VERY SLOWLY. I feel like my body is just used to what I'm doing and is saying, "no thanks" to me. Cause I'm not losing how I should be in my opinion. a HALF a pound in 8 days while maintaining a good diet, proper calories & exercise is BS in my opinion. Especially when you have 50 + to lose.

So I'm looking for some ideas. I don't belong to a gym, nor do I plan to join until I have about 20 pounds left to lose. So what I have in my home is, elliptical, dance dance revolution for PS2, Wii fit plus & Just dance 2 for the wii. I also have Jillians 30 day Shred but have yet to successfully complete the program.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Or maybe like a schedule of how I should workout? I really am desperate for some advice on workouts. Thanks so very much.

Replies

• 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    try jump rope exercises. look em up, just as many calories as going for a jog. :)
  • cryssybaby77
    cryssybaby77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to wait till you have 20lbs to lose to join the gym?
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I also don't belong to a gym and do all my exercises at home. I recently got a treadmill and an exercise bike and I've been doing that for about a week now. I've been working out harder than ever and like you ....I expected greater weight loss. Sometimes it just takes time for our bodies to adjust. I do know that an elliptical is a great piece of equipment and does a really good workout. Make sure you are taking your measurements too because you are probably losing inches. I lost 13 lbs without any equipment and just dancing, jogging in place (which is a great calorie burner) and walking. Just keep doing what you are doing and change your exercise program up from time to time. Drink tons of water and log everything you eat. Sounds like you are doing the work so you will see results soon:) You can do it:)!!
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you need to have a gym or some free weights (water bottles)... your body cannot burn fat if you aren't building muscle as well. I am not saying bulk up or anything.. But even lifting for your arms/pushups ..., situps for your belly muscles, leg lifts for your leg muscles or lounges.. resistance calsithenics are very good at getting those muscles going. :) good luck

Also make sure you are eating back your exercise calories.. i learned that once finally keeping track on these type of sites. For 10 years in martial arts with tons of weight to lose, I only lost 10 lbs in 10 years. I wasn't eating nearly half enough to feed my muscles.

Drink lotsa water!
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    I do Gold's Gym work out DVD's and have had splendid results in my body since I started a couple months ago(core/full body work out, 30 minutes every other day) I also either run and/or walk the dog.

You need to stay active and work your entire body. I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong, those wii games keep your heart rate high enough to really burn a lot of calories? You might do better going for a 20 minute jog outside instead.

Good luck!
  • Hmf414
    Hmf414 Posts: 30
    Options
    I don't want to join a gym because I don't have a ton of money to join, and the gym I would join they have a great 3 month plan. And with the nicer weather starting I wouldn't bother going to a gym anyway, I'd rather go outside on a bike ride or something like that.

And I do pushups and situps crunches and stuff like that on a regular basis. And I've heard that shake weight thingy actually really works so I think I'm going to get one of those.

As for the wii fit, I do the step aerobics over and over and over so I get a good sweat going, but other than that I use it for the yoga and strength training.

And whoever suggested jump roping that's a great idea!! Thanks.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Check out www.bodyrock.tv, there are a ton of good bodyweight exercises you can do in your home. Or just google bodyweight exercises. Squats, planks, lunges, push ups, crunches, etc... there is a LOT you can do without leaving your house or spending money on weights and expensive home gyms or even workout dvds.
  • Hmf414
    Hmf414 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks a bunch!!