Who drinks?

Options
Alright, drinking day is approaching. Me and my friends are going out saturday and I'm down 11 pounds. I've drank a couple times since i started MFP and it wasnt a problem, I also really limited my intake that day. I don't think drinking is a problem at all, especially when you control your intake and frequency of drinking like I do. Does anyone have anything to add about drinking? If i drink two pitchers after losing weight for like 2 months will i gain 5 pounds overnight or some insane phenomenon like that?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    No. Go drink and be merry. Actually there is a chance you'll wake up lighter from dehydration. If it happens, don't get too excited about it :)
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You won't gain 10 actual pounds - though you might be up a few pounds the days after due to water retention. Just drink a ton of water that day and the next. You'll stop a hangover and keep your body in check! Also, just watch how much you drink so you don't go too far over calorie allotments.

I like going out for drinks on the weekends - and it hasn't seemed to impact my weight loss too much!
  • jjjuuunnniiieee
    Options
    At one point I had lost about 10lbs, and it was a friend's birthday so we went out and just totally got sloshed. I must have had about two pitchers myself, and I didn't gain anything... in fact, I was 2-3lbs lighter the next day, LMFAO. I like to assume the beer just killed everything else that was in my stomach. :P
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I thought I recall someone saying that besides the calorie factor(which you can control by what drinks you have, and eating healthy that day) there is the metabolism factor. I think the alcohol slows down your metabolism?
  • Taylor521
    Taylor521 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    No. Go drink and be merry. Actually there is a chance you'll wake up lighter from dehydration. If it happens, don't get too excited about it :)

haha, yea this isn't the first time i've drank
  • bromk
    bromk Posts: 34
    Options
    I go out with friends regularly every weekend and have a few drinks. As long as you don't just go crazy and hydrate, you probably won't notice any impact. I am a firm believer that you are more likely to stick with lifestyle changes if you don't go in with the attitude that you are going to deprive yourself. Enjoy your time with friends!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I always try to fit the alcohol into my calories and then fit in a workout the morning after drinking.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    So far my weight loss hasn't been effected by my drinking binges...I mean...parties...I mean...enjoyable evenings out with friends. :wink:
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    i don't drink the night before weigh in. buuuutt i do drink! hell i had two beers here at work last night (my work is um.. progressive and had a kegger) so yeah. enjoy your beers man!

my problem is when i drink i get all munchyface. i want everything salty i can get my hands on! :)
  • Eithr
    Eithr Posts: 7
    Options
    Just something to consider, alcohol drinks have practically no nutritional value, so be careful about fasting a day to save calories for a night of drinking. It's probably a better idea to eat healthy that day, but maybe a little conservatively, and loosen up and let yourself go over your calorie allotment a little. The worst thing you could do is save all your calories for drinking and deprive your body of any useful nutrition for the day.

I typically reserve beer drinking for days when I've done a lot of cardio, so I have a lot of extra calories to use up. Otherwise, more often, I'll pour myself a few short glasses of whisky.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    See, I have this love for liquor that won't allow me to say anything bad on its behalf. Drink up buddy. It should be enjoyed without remorse.
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have switched from my fruity girlie drinks with far too many calories to the 55 cal beers or a shot with water and crystal light, you probably didn't drink the fruity drinks but you might not mind the beer switch.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    :drinker: You should go and enjoy, just factor it in get your workout in before. Have a fun time! :drinker:
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There is a group here that you might be interested in. We are the Like Minded Lushes. We don't judge or preach and we all enjoy adding our favorite adult beverage to our eating plan.

Have fun, stay in moderation and you'll do fine.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    I always try to fit the alcohol into my calories and then fit in a workout the morning after drinking.

well you obviously didnt drink enough the night before since you have no hangover and can go work out :) im teasing.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    i generally save all my drinking for the end of the month when ive been paid and can afford a full nite out ;) i dont log my alcohol as i see it as one nite a month lol :) have ur drinks and enjoy them hon xx
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    *waves* What ItsTerri said! Come join us!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I think that having a couple is ok and won't hurt you in the longrun
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I log my drinks in beforehand it really helps you think about "just one more"

(I am not saying it stops you from drinking one more, just helps you think about where you stand. :wink:)

I am usually "puffy" the next day but drinking lots of a water helps and the next time I work up a sweat that puffy feeling goes away.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Stick to things you know the calories of.... I always just stay with Bud Light for better or worse.... 110ish calories per bottle.... it might not be as exciting, but I can track it well. Also only go all out once a week or something.... I'll have a drink or 2 during the week, but there will usually be one day a week of full on drinking... its not had a noticeable effect on my progress.