New here and upset

Options
Hi everyone.......I am new to this site. I must lose weight, first due to being diagnosed with diabetes and second having been told today I need hip replacement.

The diabetes can be reversed my doctor tells me if I lose weight.

And to make surgery a little more easier I must lose weight.

So where do I begin. I have been on Atkins and lost weight many years ago. I have tried Nutrisystem and lost weight. Both times I have gained it back. Now I really need to do this again. Help.

Replies

• BaysideGal
    BaysideGal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.......I am new to this site. I must lose weight, first due to being diagnosed with diabetes and second having been told today I need hip replacement.

The diabetes can be reversed my doctor tells me if I lose weight.

And to make surgery a little more easier I must lose weight.

So where do I begin. I have been on Atkins and lost weight many years ago. I have tried Nutrisystem and lost weight. Both times I have gained it back. Now I really need to do this again. Help.
  • karilynn
    Options
    Hi..and welcome! this is a great site. I also was diagnosed with diabetes, so i know how you feel. Mine is due to my weight, so I've started the journey of 85lbs to lose!! This site is great, there is alot of support, and the food diary really helped me with controlling my eating. Everyone on here keeps me motivated and i love all the info and ideas i get from the forums. Try to get out for at least 15 min walk, each day you will feel like doing more! (almost every day, lol). you can do it!!

kari:flowerforyou:
  • smastlong
    Options
    Try Weight Watchers. I lost 30 pounds over ten years ago and I have managed to stay with in five pounds of my goal weight. It is a healthy plan based on a lifestyle change.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I key is to want it to work. Don't look at it as if it were a diet. It's not. It's a lifestyle change. Learning to eat healthy and exercise. You just have to remind yourself that you CAN do this.
    We are all here for you. We will help you everystep of the way.
    Just remember YOU CAN DO IT:flowerforyou:
  • baylou
    baylou Posts: 52
    Options
    welcome I too am looking at surg knee replacement and I know if i drop so wieght that will help me and my knees
    this is a good site and keeping track of your intact helps to slow down on what your eating but you do have to move to lose and that to is where I have some trouble too and it is ices here and I don;t want to fall I when to the doctor yesterday and a shot so now I hope to turn the music on and move to the tunes
    betty
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hello BaysideGal,
    I too am diabetic. I was diagnosed about six years ago. the first few weeks are the most difficult. There is a real rollercoaster of emotions going on. You need to let yourself go through them. The important thing to remember is that you WILL make it, and that you CAN live a wonderfully healthy life even with diabetes.
    Make up your mind that you are worth making modifications to your life for, that's first. Realize there will be some pain of adjustment. Stay in touch with your doctor and people who are determined to help you learn a new way of life (This site is filled with some of the best folks on earth! They will hang with you every step of the way through ups and downs. You can count on us).
    Ask any questions you like, someone on here will help you find the answer. Most of all, welcome and hang in there.
    Cowboy:flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    BaysideGirl,

My husband is diabetic and you are fortunate that it is an easy disease to control and live with day to day.

My recommendation - besides using this site - which is awesome - is to try this book "The 5 Day Miracle diet". IT IS NOT A DIET, IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE that controls your sugar.

Read this book and follow Dr. Pugh's plan, it is easy and great for controlling your blood sugar.
  • Fitnhealthymama
    Options
    Hi Bayside Girl,
    As a once thin naturally high metabolism woman (the key word here being "once" as in once upon a time), I understand how frustrating it can be to suddenly realize you need to change your eating habits. It's HARD! However, I do believe it can be done without feeling deprived. I think that's the key. You don't want to look at this as a "diet" but as a new, healthier way of living.

Here's what I did 5 years ago and it worked: I logged everything I ate in a little notebook. I lost 25 pounds in about 6 months doing that and incorporating some exercise into my weeks. I think mainly it was the fact that it made me not only realize the dumb things I picked at and didn't think twice about but before I ate something, I thought, "Ugh....that means I'll have to write it in my log":blushing: so in a sense I embarrassed myself into thinking twice. :laugh: Hey, it worked!

That's what I've decided to do again this year; only, as a very busy stay at home mama with a 2 year old and a 4 year old and several freelance gigs, I knew keeping a written log and then finding the time to look up the calories....I knew I'd never keep it up so my efforts would be futile.

Then I stumbled upon this site. My intention was to find a free calorie counter for logging my diet but I see there's so much more here....it's great! I think you've found a wonderful way to start and to improve your lifestyle. You can log what you eat, track your progress, get support and healthy recipe ideas! You will feel so much better--mind, body and soul--once you start living this way. I honestly can say that. I just worked out last night and I woke up feeling great. You can do this!!!