I've got a long way to go...

Options
Hi,
I'm new here (obviously) and I joined because after being large my whole life, too busy pursuing professional and personal goals and also too complacent to change, I have decided to take charge of this aspect of my life. I am very overweight now, but I'm stubborn and persistent and I have every intnention of sticking things out. I am going to use this summer to jump-start my new life.
I am sometimes very overwhelmed by having select a work-out regimen, but I have always been a fairly balanaced eater (though probably in too large of a portion).
I have been large so long that I am utterly afraid to talk about my new lifestyle with my family or friends, since they may just tell me this is all impossible, so I suppose a little support from others on the same path is just what the doctor ordered. :)

-Alison

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible, you CAN do it, and you have tons of support here. Just reach out to us - and we'll be there!

Welcome, welcome, welcome, and congratulations on making this commitment.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Theres no need to go tell everyone what you're doing - you're doing it for yourself, no-one else.

I have been overweight for about 10 years, but have never really been on a diet. This website is helping so much.

Feel free to friend me :happy:
  • robot_khamscott
    robot_khamscott Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    helloooo :) im kinda new to this too but i love it! and youll definatly get loads of support , everyones amazing ^_^

welcome!
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I recomend making mini goals until you reach you big goal. Start with 5-10lbs and then keep going from there. It makes a long way to go seem like a shorter distance. good luck.
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Friend me Alison. I am SO losing 200 lbs for sure!!!
  • ADJulie
    ADJulie Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. I have been so ambitious for so much of my life that I have really not focused on my health. Last January I had an amazing new job...34 and already an Assistant Principal at a large middle school and a wonderful husband and kids. I decided then and there it was time to do it for me. I was 300 lbs. A year and a half later I am down 86 lbs and have a new lifestyle that all of my family is still in awe of. They never thought I would stick with it because I never had before. It can be done and I still have long way to go. With support we all can kick this in the rear.
  • lethalsarcasm
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. there just always seems to be other priorities. I'm 22 and I just started my PhD in nuclear chemistry last year. This is the first summer in many years where I haven't been traveling for internships or study-abroad, so I have declared it the summer of me. :)
  • jfriend32
    jfriend32 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Welcome. I am new to this as well. I have also decided not to share with to many people close to me so I don't have to hear negativity. I'd rather just shock them with the new me :) Good luck to you.
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You will love the support you get here! And we are all in this together, there are people here who just want to lose a few pounds and those who have many pounds to lose. But we all share the same issue, that we are carrying more weight than we should, and we want to get rid of it once and for all. And we can talk very freely about the challenges and issues that we face along our individual weight loss journeys. It's great! All the best!!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am new as well and have lots of work to do. But so far this site has been great.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    you can do it!good luck!!
    jane
  • patch1964
    Options
    Go for it!
    with you all the way!!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also new here! We have a lot in common. I didn't tell many people when I first started my lifestyle change because I have failed so many times in the past! It wasn't until I became more confident in my abilities that I was more open. It is NOT impossible, we can do this :)
  • Kjandcuttysmom
    Kjandcuttysmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Don't worry so much about telling people what you're doing fearing that they will be not be supportive. Once they see how well you are doing they will start talking to you about what you're doing differently. Good luck on your journey.
    shine
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi. We have quite a bit in common along the lines of portion size, but it sounds like you've got your mind made up and I want you to know that you can definitely do this. As long as you have no intention on quitting(and seems like you don't), you can rock this thing out. We're here to encourage and motivate you and you'll also get plenty of info here too. Just take it one day at a time, don't worry if things don't go as expected every day, and you can surely make it...good luck on your journey and whether good or not so good, cherish every moment of it....much success to you!:flowerforyou: