Food Fear....

Options
Ok, I have been eating very healthy (except for the occasional glass of wine), and have pretty much become neurotic about it. I know I am starting to obsess, I am afraid I am becoming afraid of food. Honestly Easter Sunday brunch has me terrified. I probably will make myself a special meal. I can not even stand the thought of pierogi, ham, scalloped potatoes, kielbasi, it literally makes me sick to think about it. I do not know what I am going to do when I get to maintenance and have to start eating more! I try to stay very close to my calorie goal and not eat under and I get my exercise cals back in with post workout protein shakes. Seriously, this is stressful all of a sudden as I think about it, if I can not accurately control the calories I do not eat it.

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Breath Soss, you have to enjoy yourself, within reason of course! plan out how much you can have of everything and you can eat with the family. Personally, I won't do shakes just for this reason, when I drink my calories instead of eating them I get like that. However if I have to manage eating every day, and plan it accordingly, I seem to be fine.

Muah, you'll do fine honey!:flowerforyou:
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Pierogi, kielbasy....all that's coming my way on Sunday too....

In the past I would have been afraid of it, but you know what? These things come around once a year, and just because they're there doesn't mean you have to devour the whole serving or dish of the stuff! Have a bite of this, a bite of that, just enough to savour and indulge in all the goodness of traditional Easter food. ALL IN MODERATION.

Try a little of everything, let your family see you enjoying the food, and actually enjoy it! You can't honestly tell me you enjoy shakes all the time instead of food! How can one live that way? But I know your fear....

The bottom line is, you CAN control it, and you CAN control how much you eat of anything....not the food controlling you. Plus, if you have Monday off, just go for a job or something the next day, or even that afternoon or night! That's what I plan on doing after my breakfast of pork loin, kialbasy, herring, and eggs with REAL mayo on Sunday morning.

:-)
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    Sounds like something to discuss with a counselor. I know that many therapists deal specifically with diet-related issues, and though I doubt you'd need any long term counseling, it'd be good to discuss some methods of dealing with food-related anxiety.
  • BlueMindi
    BlueMindi Posts: 17
    Options
    I wish I could help but OMG I am the same way! I am making us go to brunch at this particular place b/c it has oatmeal on the menu and wouldn't travel to visit my family for Easter b/c I wouldn't be able to avoid it.

Who wants just oatmeal on Easter - I am going nuts!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    Sounds like something to discuss with a counselor. I know that many therapists deal specifically with diet-related issues, and though I doubt you'd need any long term counseling, it'd be good to discuss some methods of dealing with food-related anxiety.

This is great advice. People don't realize how emotional losing weight can be and it seems like it's definitely starting to wear on you. I didn't develop a healthy relationship with food until I went to some therapy, I was terrified of it. Best of luck, and we're all here for you. And remember, food is not the enemy. :flowerforyou:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I'm basically the same way. You gotta give yourself a break once in a while. Easter brunch sounds like THE PERFECT time to give yourself a free pass. If the thought of the food itself is truly that unappealing, then don't eat it (but gosh most of that sounds so good!). It's not going to blow away your progress. Usually it does just the opposite and gives your metabolism a little boost after weeks of calorie restriction. Besides, you deserve a good splurge now and then.

Honestly, most of the time, it's not eating "unauthorized foods" that bugs me; it's the fact that I can't accurately log them! I'm just a data junkie, and want to see the accurate numbers. I don't care how good or bad they are. But I need to get over it. And I hope you get over it too and have a great time and an enjoyable brunch with your family.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Awww Sossy,its ok to take a break and would probobly be good for you.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I wish I could come to ya'll's places on Sunday! OMG I'm missing out big time! (I'm Polish but don't do much of that style cooking since moving away from home)

Enjoy it like previously mentioned. Take a small piece or spoon of everything! It's one day and it will probably do your body a world of good to even go over a little bit! Don't even worry about exercising unless you do find yourself being called back for a full serving of seconds or (dare I say it) thirds! :blushing: You have to learn to LIVE not just exist. I would hate to see the guilt you feel if you didn't enjoy what was offered not to mention your mood will affect how you enjoy everyone's company too. You are in control and you have the power to say no thank you to a full serving and seconds if you desire, but you also have the control and flexibility to say yes if you desire. You would have to eat 3500 calories OVER YOUR MAINTENANCE CALORIES to gain one pound so unless you plan on pulling a hoover maneuver on the spread, I don't think that will happen :happy:

Have a happy and blessed holiday!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    From Taso........"Honestly, most of the time, it's not eating "unauthorized foods" that bugs me; it's the fact that I can't accurately log them! I'm just a data junkie, and want to see the accurate numbers. I don't care how good or bad they are."

^^^^^^ That is a HUGE part of my problem. It scalre the he** out of me not to know what the numbers are!

(not sure why but the qupte thingie did not work right)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

This is great advice. People don't realize how emotional losing weight can be and it seems like it's definitely starting to wear on you. I didn't develop a healthy relationship with food until I went to some therapy, I was terrified of it. Best of luck, and we're all here for you. And remember, food is not the enemy. :flowerforyou:

I agree. Talking to someone who knows how to deal with these types of issues will help you make sure this doesn't escalate. You can't be afraid of food. You need to eat to live, so why not enjoy it? Don't be afraid to indulge now and then, it won't do any harm! You could also take a break from counting calories. I did and it was great! I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't gain either. I only took a few weeks off and it was exactly what I needed. I was getting so stressed out about counting every single calorie and the fact that my kids always eat from my plate was driving me crazy. I still ate healthy and didn't overdo it and it was nice to see that logging isn't the only thing that's keeping me on track!
  • smylex
    smylex Posts: 14
    Options
    The key to staying on your diet while engaging in family gatherings or celebrations is to remember that you can still eat sensibly. You can still eat all of that stuff, just eat smaller portions and, if you can, eat more vegetables and drink lots of water, as well. Not only will the vegetables help you fill up with less calories, they will also give you the fiber your body needs to push all the stuff out of your system. The water will also keep you feeling full and you'll be properly hydrated.

And if you go over your daily calorie count for one day, who cares? It's good to cheat on your diet once in a while!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I must agree with these words. There are some things in your post that suggest you might need some help finding balance in your relationship with food and counting calories. If you look at it objectively, it’s just food. It is meaningless, nourishment for cells and nothing more. But emotionally, all of it can have a lot of mental weight. And slogging through the long journey of calorie counting and weight loss can make other unresolved issues reappear, or worsen.

So, feel proud that you are in touch enough with your thoughts that you recognize the fear. And don’t be afraid to get some outside professional help in managing that fear so that you can continue moving forward through weight loss and beyond.