I can't even eat Raisins?!?!

Options
My small little box of raisins that I thought were supposed to be healthy make me exceed my daily sugar limit. Not that I can ever be under my limit for sugar with yogurt and fruit. Is anyone else having a hard time with this?

I know that these things have other great health benefits and should be part of my diet but too much sugar turns to fat! This is so hard!

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I personally don't count sugars from fruits and such. I only count the added sugars in things, and I am losing weight steadily. If I hit a plateau then maybe I will re-evaluate but as of now it's working out just fine for me. Try to get your "sugary" foods (including fruit) in earlier in the day though.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult finding that balance... but everything in moderation. Take your time and do your research and pick your battles. The issue with a lot of dried fruit is that more sugar is added to it in addition to the sugar already in the fruit. Typically, going over on sugar, if it's from fruit, isn't a huge issue.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the sugar in fruits and vegies. It's the white, or refined sugar that you need to limit.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    A lot of dried fruits suck like that....I love craisins and they got was limited when I saw the cal and sugar.... Think it was craisins anyway....haha
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    what it a no sugar added? dried fruit is particularly high in sugar
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what others have said. Don't sweat the sugars from fruit. That doesn't mean to go overboard and take in hundreds of grams of sugar from fruit, but don't be upset by going over due to a banana or raisins.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Your "numbers" are what YOU want...If you eat on a Plan that says you may eat 2-3 serving of fruit per day and you eat that, and you lose weight...who cares what "someone's" arbitrary numbers say. It's JUST a piece of Technology giving FACTS about food...it DOES NOT tell YOU how it is Digested, whether it is "good" for you or will help you...YOU have to do some thinking, research and Decision making about Your Nutrition.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Simply put:
    Sugar from fruits (fresh, frozen, or dried) is good for you and your body can use it
    Refined sugar (candy and sweets) are bad for you and will be turned into fat.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Eat grapes instead. Dried fruit tends to have a higher sugar content b/c all the water has been sucked out (so the sugar is more concentrated).

You can still eat them. Remember: food doesn't make us fat. Food CHOICES make us fat.
  • miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always exceed my sugar...just stay away from the artificial ones...as long as the sugar is natural you're good!
  • tsimehc2000
    tsimehc2000 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I go over on my sugars every day and I've lost the weight. However, I'm a type 1 diabetic, so if I don't have sugar, I'm dead ... :happy:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Just eat the bloody raisins. They are delicious!
  • Strelok2500
    Strelok2500 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fructose (the sugar that you get from fruit), whether consumed from natural sources or artifical sources (such as foods with high fructose corn syrup) is equally bad for you when consumed in too high of quantities. What makes fruit better is the other aspects of the fruit that are healthy for you, disregarding the fructose.

I highly recommended people watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    This also acts as a source for my claims above.

You should definitely consider the sugar you get from fruit on an equal level as from other sources. However, the fruit would be preferable in most cases, but not because sugar from fruit is any better in regards to your weight loss.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I go over on my sugars every day and I've lost the weight. However, I'm a type 1 diabetic, so if I don't have sugar, I'm dead ... :happy:

the same thing with my mom and brother
  • WIQQID
    WIQQID Posts: 13
    Options
    There are certain fruits and even vegetables that I won't eat during the first phase of my diet. I'm unsure if most people are aware of the hidden sugars that are in some fruits and vegetables. For instance, 1 medium baked potato has the equivalent of 26 tsp of sugar! It's crazy!! If you want to eat fruits, limit yourself to 2 servings per day and choose the lower sugared ones such as berries or apples. Grapes and citrus fruits come in next for lowest sugar. Try to avoid the high sugar fruits such as bananas, melons, and tropical fruits.
  • BlueMindi
    BlueMindi Posts: 17
    Options
    thank you all. i have been researching this - that is what i thought strelok500 - that sugar is sugar. I am just working out really hard and sticking to my calorie limit eating a diet of protein, veggies, whole wheat fruits and dairy and I gained a pound this week. I guess it could be muscle but really? I would just like to see the scale go the other way soon for some inspiration.
  • bumina
    bumina Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I LOVE Sunmaid Natural Raisins, but one serving pretty much blows my sugar intake out of the water. As others have said, I don't count fruit based sugars as badly as refined because your body uses fructose differently than sucrose or dextrose. I mainly eat raisins for the potassium content in them and because they're easy to pack in my lunch or mix in with my peanut butter sandwich :) Basically, what I would advise is if you have no adverse affects from eating a little too much sugar then just eat your fruit and veggies as usual. They have more benefits than detriments.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I personally don't worry about being over on sugar as long as it's been minimal sugars over 3 servings of fruit and one yogurt. This is the standard set by the ADA, the Mediterranean Diet, and many others say 3-6 fruits a day. Not less than 3. I"ve seen a couple plans that say 2 for very little women. Yogurt is seen as a very healthy food and something we should consider eating most days of the week. If we do this, we go over on sugars.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    My small little box of raisins that I thought were supposed to be healthy make me exceed my daily sugar limit. Not that I can ever be under my limit for sugar with yogurt and fruit. Is anyone else having a hard time with this?

I know that these things have other great health benefits and should be part of my diet but too much sugar turns to fat! This is so hard!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yeah like everyone said, don't worry about sugar from veggies or fruit unless it has added sugar like a mixed fruit drink might be more sugar than fruit.