muscle gain

Options
How do you know if you are gaining muscle and not just gaining weight?

Replies

• nrm149
    nrm149 Posts: 16
    Options
    You can try a body fat scale (a bit pricey and totally different than a BMI scale which just estimates). It sends electrical impulses through your body (you can't feel it its harmless)...the impulses travel more quickly through muscle so it can tell your fat % by the amount of resistance its gets.
  • lawdhelpme2
    lawdhelpme2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I am going to try to get a better scale, I just have a little cheap digital one. Thanks
  • sturgill
    sturgill Posts: 118
    Options
    muscle and fat weighs the same - the muscle just looks better ( all the books I have read and doctors I have ask say ) if you take a scale and put 1 lb fat on it and then 1 lb of muscle it will weight the same.
    have you measured yourself- sometimes you don't loose pounds but you loose inches which realy looks good!!
    keep up the good work and hang in there it will be okay
  • BlueMindi
    BlueMindi Posts: 17
    Options
    That is what I need too - thanks! I am being so good and not losing weight.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining muscle you should be losing inches. Measure yourself.
  • tjstivers1
    Options
    You can also use calipers to check the thickness of a pinch of skin in different areas. When you enter the measurements into a calculator, you get your result.

You can also try the tape measure method. It is inaccurate for people with a good deal of muscle.
  • DreaDreaDre
    Options
    You can try a body fat scale (a bit pricey and totally different than a BMI scale which just estimates). It sends electrical impulses through your body (you can't feel it its harmless)...the impulses travel more quickly through muscle so it can tell your fat % by the amount of resistance its gets.

You're so right!!! I bought one that does everything over year ago and it was the best thing I've ever done!
  • back2_200
    back2_200 Posts: 27
    Options
    Honestly I pay little attention to the scale and more to my net calories everyday, and how pants are fitting. I build a lot of muscle with cardio, and I also do weights. With that said, the body fat scale is better indicator of progress with "fat" loss. At thats what we're all after right? I have a cheap $9 set of calipers that I used to use. Good luck!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you are gaining muscle and not just gaining weight?

It's extremely difficult to gain muscle. Granted someone who is just starting working out can gain a *little* more efficiently than someone who is in better shape.

Scales that measure body fat percentage are very inaccurate.

Your best bet is to take measurements if you want to track your progress along with your weight.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to get a better scale, I just have a little cheap digital one. Thanks

Atleast your is digital, mine is the dial scale !!! lol I cant even read it without the weight shifting a great deal, I have to make my dad tell me what it says lol!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Atleast your is digital, mine is the dial scale !!! lol I cant even read it without the weight shifting a great deal, I have to make my dad tell me what it says lol!

Mine too!! I have my husband read off the numbers, so sad!
  • lobug2310
    Options
    I was told my goal weight was unrealistic, and that I probably gained muscle this week when I gained a pound. So frustrating when I can see the fat around my abdominals and on my inner and outer thighs, I know there is fat to lose. Wondering if I should add more cardio, or just drop the calories. Was told to stay at 1200, adding food if I worked out to keep it at a 1200 calorie intake. Is anyone else not seeing results with this method?
  • lawdhelpme2
    Options
    [So should I eat at least 1200 of my net calories?]
    Honestly I pay little attention to the scale and more to my net calories everyday, and how pants are fitting. I build a lot of muscle with cardio, and I also do weights. With that said, the body fat scale is better indicator of progress with "fat" loss. At thats what we're all after right? I have a cheap $9 set of calipers that I used to use. Good luck!
    [/quote]
  • lawdhelpme2
    Options

Mine too!! I have my husband read off the numbers, so sad!
    [LOL, yeah your women are missing out on the good stuff. I love my digital scale just need one with more info.:)]
  • lawdhelpme2
    Options
    [So should I eat at least 1200 net calories when I exercise?]
  • back2_200
    back2_200 Posts: 27
    Options
    Everybody's body is so different. My net calories hoverers around 800-1000 a day. Thats eating around 1500 and burning around 500 - 1000 a day. That seems to work for me. So thats the idea anyway.