Is it possible to burn too many calories?

Options
I have been using MFP and doing WW for about two months now. To date I have lost almost 18 lbs. About a month ago, I started using iFit live on my treadmill. I liked the mix of workouts so much that I went from using the treadmill about 20 minutes a day to using it up to 90 minutes a day. I didn't miss a day on the treadmill for 21 days and according to my calculations, from the calories I cut from my diet and the calories I burned I should have burned (lost) 30,000 calories or about 8 1/2 lbs. My actual weight loss during this time was 4 1/2 lbs or about 16,000 calories. So, I thought maybe I was cutting/burning too many calories, mind you during this time I was taking in at least 1200 calories a day. This past week, I have not been on the treadmill once (although, I did attempt JM 30 day shred once) and according to my calculations I burned/cut about 6300 calories or 1.8 lbs and I actually lost 5600 or 1.6 lbs.

I would like to know why, once I stopped using the treadmill, my actual weight loss matched (closer, anyway) with what I was burning?? I find it hard to believe that I can lose more weight by not using the treadmill. Thanks!!

SW 239.9
CW 222.4
GW 150

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    yes, you can burn too much. It's called over training.

You're not. But I wouldn't get that mathy about it, I'd burn and appreciate the loss!
  • miszshai
    miszshai Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    it's not possible to burn to many calories because between my calorie deficet and the calories i burn working out im burning 2000 a day ad im lsoing about 4 pounds a week but if you are not eating enough it could slow down your metabolism which could cause you to not lose was much weight
  • goose619
    goose619 Posts: 4
    Options
    You are burning fat but gaining muscle at the same time. Muscle weighs more than fat. So just because you lose 1 lb of fat doesn't meant you lose pound off the scale. You could gain 1 lb of muscle. Or more or less just depending.
  • SaraDawn
    SaraDawn Posts: 2
    Options
    you could be gaining muscle if you're doing intense workouts...you'll look slimmer but be more dense so you'll weigh more. That''s all I can figure.
    Also, I know that there is a max level you're heart rate should be at for a good cardio (and fat burning) workout. If u consistantly go above that you are burning the good "sugars" in your body which actually slow your metabolism and cause weight gain, or at least slow your losing...maybe ask a dr or trainer?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    you should definately give yourself a rest day or two between workouts, doing the same workout over and over limits the impact of it, you might want to change it up some. Last week, I worked out 6 days, some days twice a day, I ate around the same amount of calories and had my lowest loss in my 14 weeks on the program. I went from losing 5.2lbs to 3.2 lbs. This week, I am taking it easier, working out once a day 5 days a week.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP and doing WW for about two months now. To date I have lost almost 18 lbs. About a month ago, I started using iFit live on my treadmill. I liked the mix of workouts so much that I went from using the treadmill about 20 minutes a day to using it up to 90 minutes a day. I didn't miss a day on the treadmill for 21 days and according to my calculations, from the calories I cut from my diet and the calories I burned I should have burned (lost) 30,000 calories or about 8 1/2 lbs. My actual weight loss during this time was 4 1/2 lbs or about 16,000 calories. So, I thought maybe I was cutting/burning too many calories, mind you during this time I was taking in at least 1200 calories a day. This past week, I have not been on the treadmill once (although, I did attempt JM 30 day shred once) and according to my calculations I burned/cut about 6300 calories or 1.8 lbs and I actually lost 5600 or 1.6 lbs.

I would like to know why, once I stopped using the treadmill, my actual weight loss matched (closer, anyway) with what I was burning?? I find it hard to believe that I can lose more weight by not using the treadmill. Thanks!!

SW 239.9
    CW 222.4
    GW 150

I used to train 20 hours a week for swimming. Most days I was burning 2,000-3,000 calories a day, not including daily activities. As long as you get proper nutrition, calories, & adequate sleep you can't "burn too much".
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Your muscles were possibly retaining water to repair themselves but it's very unlikely that you gained muscle in that short period of time or that you are over training with 90 minutes of exercise.
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    Calculating how many calories you actually burned ACCURATELY is pretty difficult. Even HRM have a lot of error associated with them. So you could just be estimating your calorie expenditure incorrectly.