Drinking enough water

Options
mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
Just read a fantastic post on water drinking by WIQQID.

I know drinking water is important, but I have to admit that I struggle with tracking my water intake and making sure I am getting enough.

What do you do to make sure that you drink enough water?

Replies

• Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    As you saw on my blog, I have a few creative tips for people who struggle to track how much water they drink! My Silly Bandz have worked wonders and after one month, I don't need them anymore because I made the habit stick through consistency! :)

http://natashakay.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/water/
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1) I have a 24 ounce steel water bottle that goes pretty much everywhere with me. When it's empty I log 3 cups of water.

2) I drink herbal teas throughout the day. They're non-caffeine and I don't add sugar or milk or anything, so they count as water. Drink one, click one.
  • NativeAustinite
    Options
    I struggle with this, too. It has helped to fill a re-usable water bottle. I just know how much it holds, and remember how many times I refilled it so that I can track it later. It isn't perfect, and I don't always remember to drink plenty, but trying to keep the bottle on me as much as possible makes me more aware of it.
  • MsRose2012
    Options
    I have 2 one liter bottles that I use one goes in the freezer til I am half way done with the first then I take it out so I can start to thaw. I can't stand warm water. Love the chunks of ice when it's not completely frozen. Kind of tricky tho to get it out in time before it's completely frozen. Sometimes I slip and forget to take it out before it's solid. :)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes, water bottles really help. Ones with straws may be a little bit of a pain to clean, but I think it makes drinking a whole bottle a little easier.
  • 82song
    82song Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was the same, I hated water, and still do, and I used to drink cordial all the time. Like some on here, I started using a bottle. I Use a 1 litre one so then I just think its only 2 bottles to drink rather than 8 cups. Over a period of a month I've now gradually trained myself to drink more, so now I drink close to 2.5-3 litres a day and Im still thirsty! I keep the bottle with me all the time, and if I'm just sitting down doing nothing I sip it- then I just kinda forget that Ive drunk so much. Also because I drink more, I eat less because my stomach is fuller.

Good luck, you can do it!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Another one with a 24oz, BPA-free bottle! Mine also has a little ring around the top that you can use to count how many times you've refilled it during the day.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    yep the water bottle helps and I take it with me everywhere too. I like to add crystal light occasionally for a flavor but mostly just water.
  • Seb83
    Seb83 Posts: 18
    Options
    As many others have said, I have a 24oz cycling bottle that I just use.

It makes it much easier than a massive 2 litre bottle, which always seems a daunting prospectr to drink whenever you look at it. Somehow dividing it up into 3 servings really helps me make my hydration goals each day.
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    When I'm working I mark my glasses of water on my day planner for the day. On the go, I use the recycle cup too.
  • ladybug1009
    ladybug1009 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a Sigg bottle that is 1L which is about 34 ounces of water. I need to drink at least 2 of those to be in the clear for my 8 glasses. My goal is to drink 3 or 4 of them a day. I have to go to the bathroom a lot but I feel awesome!

When I'm off work it is easier, of course to drink my water. But when I'm at my job in a hospital I have to make time to drink it. I tell myself, after I am finished this I'm going to go get a drink of water.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Squeezing a bit of fresh lemon in water works for me. That, and lots of ice!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I have an awesome Thermos that keeps water cold FOREVER and doesn't leak when I throw it in my bag. I take it everywhere and refill it 3 or 4 times a day.

I also drink a cup of water before each meal or snack (and between alcoholic drinks), and a couple cups before bed.

I don't log my water, because I've always been a big water-drinker... it's not something I'm worried about for myself, because I know, that even without logging it, I've had plenty to drink each day.
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    This is my new goal as well. I have a water bottle that I'm trying to refill 3times a day. I just tried MIO water enhancer yesterday for the first time and it is great...no calories, no sugar, no sodium, no carbs...just a few drops adds some nice flavor to your water. I tried mango/peach and sweet tea and they are both yummy. I like water just fine, I just for get to drink it.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding to my post.

Your responses gave me enhanced understanding of the water drinking importance in our mutual situation.

Appreciate that you shared what works for you.

Your ideas will help me do better with making sure to drink enough water - a task that may appear to be simple and easy to perform.

I will try to adopt some of them when at work and implement most of them at home.

Thank you also for posting the link. Idea number two from the article quoted there will surely add some structure to my water drinking.

You are beautiful, smart and unselfish people. Thank you.