To lose or maintain, being too lenient?

Options
I've given myself a break week this week, bumped my cal limit up to 'maintain current weight' and allowed myself a guilt free week of eating WAY too many Easter candies. Still going to the gym, exercising, etc.

Feeling way better than I have in the last few weeks. I know it's mostly psychosomatic, but is it worth having these break weeks occasionally? Is there any benefit to it other than just making myself happy? =)

Thanks!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There might be, especially if you've drastically cut calories. If you weren't eating enough, increasing your calories temporarily can kick start your weight loss again. You may have seen this referred to on the forums before, or discussed in posta about "zig-zagging" calories.

However, there's a difference between easing up your calorie restriction and fully reverting to your old eating habits. A full week of empty calories is going to slow you down in your weight-loss goals.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Well, the question is "happy" at what cost, and why does eating too much candy make you happy?

If putting of your goal doesn't make you unhappy, and if taking a weeklong vacation from your healthy eating doesn't send you around a corner you can't return from, then I see no problem with it, personally. For me, however, I have found that a whole week is too long. I'd rather work a sweet treat into my daily calorie allowance than risk derailing my determination to do what's good for me. On the other hand, I have a lot more left to lose than you do. :)
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    For many people, maintaining is harder than losing, so the practice might do you some good. Also the extra calories for a week may have even revved up your metabolism! Would be better not to eat too much candy, though. Try working a tiny amount into your "losing" allowance. You'd be amazed at how much "good" you can get from 1-2 squares of good, dark chocolate!
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    As long as you're still eating healthy, you're all good. It could even superboost your metabolism. Rock it and have fun. :)
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've upped my calories this week and lowered my weightloss per week and I've not been to the gym since last Sunday.
    I did this about 6 weeks ago and felt much better when I went back to the gym.
    It was like I'd given my body different signals.
    I've been off colour this week and busy so missing the gym was practical too but I'm not stressing as I know a break does me good.

Maybe go easy on Easter treats but you'll be fine :O)
  • rosequoll
    rosequoll Posts: 27
    Options
    I think compared to before diet changes, I'm still doing awesome. I went from 2-3 cans of soda a DAY to 2-3 a week. Lean meats, smaller portions, salads for lunch, cut down bread intake by almost 3/4 and only whole grain breads. Definitely made a big change, and I don't think a few days of snacking on treats will kill that. ^_^

Thanks guys!