Where do you run?

Options
I want to try the C25K soon but there is nowhere nearby to go. Do you run in your neighborhood or drive somewhere or use a treadmill?

Replies

• genielross
    genielross Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood. Once i start running running the 20 minutes I will probably go to the high school track.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I use the Treadmill at work :x
    It makes it easiest to work out during lunch or breaks, especially since my work recently moved out of town hah.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love running on trails. I have some right behind my house so that is convenient. The dirt/sand on the trails are easier on my knees than asphalt or concrete. I run on treadmills too but I don't like it as much as being outside and being able to see the distance I have covered. C25K is a great program. I started it when I quit smoking but have not got very far on it yet. But now that I can run I do do it regularly. I was on week 3 for the second or third time when I stopped trying to do it and am just doing run walk intervals now. Each time I go on this one particular route I try to make it more run sessions than walk. I am hoping with a little more time and some weight loss to get back to C25K and start again.
  • kristyann86
    kristyann86 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i run/walk/jog on the tennis courts here in the apartment complex. the fitness center (or what they consider a fitness center) for some stupid reason doesn't open til the office does, and they're closed on the weekends. so i use the tennis courts. one mile is 16 laps. if it's sunny out i prefer the tennis courts to work on my tan :)
  • jen2bthin78
    Options
    i run in my neighborhood!!! although today is raining i may try it on the treadmill!!!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My neighborhood or local parks usually. I'll do the dreadmill every now and then though.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I just run down the road and wear reflectors and blinking lights when I do it in the dark.
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    I run around the neighborhood, and have mapped out a couple of different paths. The good thing is, there are walking trails not too far from my house, so I've been using those more often. That way, I don't have to deal with traffic too much (too many drivers don't move over for me) and it's better scenery.

One thing that works well for me (whether I'm running on the trails or not) is figuring out when there's more traffic so I can avoid it. I'm working part-time right now, so my schedule is a little bit more open. I can go for a run at 9 or 10 in the morning and only come across 1 or 2 cars.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I usually run on the high school track that's near my house. When visiting family in FL I ran around the neighborhood, it's circular and has nice sidewalks. There's also a nice greenway in the next town over I ran on today.
  • bbarton81
    bbarton81 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am very fortunate to live right next to a ballfield that has a 1 mile trail around it. I just run out there - and make sure I am not out there during any games. People tend to sit on the trail and I am having to run around them (which slows me down).
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I like going to the park. The 'loop' is exactly one mile and it has a nice variety of terrain. Sometimes the duck doody can be irritating, and I get distracted easily by the babes and basketball....

I'm surrounded by pastures at home, so there is plenty of space here to run. Just watch for the bull...

I also run at work. They have been very accommodating by letting me mark a 400 yard track on the property. Several people walk it when the weather is nice.
  • Calyco
    Calyco Posts: 1
    Options
    Treadmill mostly. There are trails all over my town though.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    We live in the country so it's easy to run around the fields around us.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I run from my house to the park or on my treadmill. I think I like the outdoors better though. The scenery keeps me moving.
  • missbeautifultulip
    Options
    My sister and I just started going on "the stretch" I am not too sure how long it is but it takes us about 30-40 minutes to go down and 40-50 minutes to get back. Feels great on the way back because its a nice incline so it works my butt muscles haha! There is a lot of traffic speeding down it tho so we try to be visible and only go during the day. I love taking my dog with us, especially now when the bears are waking up. Right now we are just walking/speed walking but I can't wait to start jogging it :)
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    We live in the country so it's easy to run around the fields around us.

Same here. I live out in the country by an small airport. I love running that loop!

My husband also bought me a cheap treadmill at Wal*Mart in Jan. I started on that when it was too cold or wet to go outside.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    There is a good trail from my son's nursery up onto the Downs, which always has a lot of runners and dog walkers, even in the cold. A airport would be even better! We have a lot of trails around.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    I have a few places to run. In order of preference:

*A really nice neighborhood that's very close to where I work. The houses are gorgeous and it has sidewalks. I feel really safe there.
    *The office park area where I work. It's especially motivating to go there because a lot of people at my company go for lunchtime runs.
    *The gym treadmill. Not my fave way to go, but if it's dark/cold/rainy out, it'll do
    *My neighborhood. My least fave outdoor location because I live in a very busy area with lots of stoplights that kill my momentum, plus I don't like all of the traffic and some of the sidewalks are crummy and/or nonexistent. Also, I usually come home coated in a fine layer of grime.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run 6+ days per week and log a bunch of miles. 95% of my runs are right out my door. I don't have enough hills nearby, so I drive over to the hills once a week when I'm training for a hilly race. In the summers I'll drive down to meet my running club for some runs as well.

I hate wasting my workout time driving to go run. Twenty minutes on the road is a couple miles I'm not running.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    During the week I run by the river at work! City of London, generally full if tourist, but great running route with all the old buildings! on Saturdays I run from my front door to my local park...great place to run as again great running path...greeny, the only thing I don't particulary like is the dog walkers! Lol...sorry those who have dogs!