I'm new and have a question

Options
I have been at this for 4 weeks now - lost 3 pounds and gained 1.5. I'm frustrated. If your caloric goal is 1,200 daily and you exercise - say 300 calories worth does that mean that you can eat 300 calories worth of "more food" and still stay with in your 1,200 caloric goal? ( I notice the numbers on the myfitnessplan app are still in the green.) Or is exercize just a bonus, but you should still only consume 1,200 calories?

Replies

• EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That is correct!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you have a lot of weight to lose, you can get away with not eating those exercise calories back ... for awhile. To a certain point, it's okay but after awhile your body will require more calories and you'll have to eat those calories. If you only have a little to lose, say 20 lbs, you should be eating those exercise calories. When you exercise, you lose what you ate earlier because you had to use those calories you had as energy to get through the workout. That's why you eat those back, you're refueling your body. Don't worry, MFP has it figured out, if you eat your exercise calories, you still have a deficit and will lose.
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You can, but you don't have to. The calories I am allowed don't really allow me to lose weight very well because I am really short (4ft 11in) and at the rock bottom of cals allowed (1200).
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You are correct, if you exercise, you add those calories burned to your daily caloric goal. Depending on your goals, exercise is more than a bonus, it will not only help you to lose weight and get fit, but it will help you to mentally feel better.
  • zeratul1080
    zeratul1080 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've read that you can eat ALL your exercise calories.
    some people eat 25% of it.
    Most people recommended eating close to 100% so you don't put your body into "starvation mode." which can be counter-productive to losing weight.

- eat lotsa small meals a day
    - eat clean foods
    - drink lots of water
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

Make sure to click on the "How about now" button and then read the articles it posts. =) That will help explain a lot for you.
  • Girl1Beagle4
    Girl1Beagle4 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Out of personal experience, you should eat close to your exercise calories back. I have put my body into starvation mode more than once not eating them back. I have consistantly lost weight by eating most of my exercise calories back. If you d not exercise one day stay at the 1200 calories that are sugested. Good Luck! You can add me as a friend. The more friends that are ineractive, the better.
  • captmarko
    captmarko Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Teacher 2010, I think your question has been answered plenty of times already. I would just like to encourage you not to give up. If you are a female you will loose inches faster than pounds because of water retention in women compared to men. So keep up with your inches. It will work and one morning when you step on the scales you will be glad you stuck it out. Good health.
  • teacher2010
    Options
    Thanks for the info and encouragement!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    But be careful/ The calorie estimates on this site tend to be too high. A heart rate monitor should give you better estimates.