Breakfast Cereal

Options
2»

Replies

• lauraajohnsonrn
    Options
    .....or use non-fat or skim milk which have fewer calories. I tried a new breakfast this am....a serving of oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter and 2 tsp of jelly, and it ws pretty good and kept me full.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I do the 3/4 cup. At first I was shocked that it was so tiny. But now I eat smaller meals more often. If I know I'll be away from food for longer times I'll up the servings.

Honey Nut Cheerios FTW!
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What's more shocking is the 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup, 1 cup measurements are STILL not the actual servings. For instance, my Grape Nuts Flakes say 3/4 cup (29g) is a serving. 3/4 cup is usually closer to about 37-40g...not 29g. I also use my scale for cereal now, because the cup measurements aren't correct.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    has anyone ever tried the fiber one cereal that looks like rabit food?? awful! I would rather eat 3/4 of a cup of the good stuff!! But yeah I just know that I am going to eat 2 servings when I eat cereal. which in turn has kinda got me away from eating cereal at all because it is so high on calories. Let me know if anyone has any low calorie cereals (that dont look like rabbit food)
    Thanks!

The "rabbit food" is pretty good with yogurt actually... toss in some berries and you got a parfait. I don't usually have my cereal with milk but I can imagine the F1 bran tasting pretty awful and soggy in milk. It's also a nice substitute for crisp rice cereal in rice crispy treats.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    has anyone ever tried the fiber one cereal that looks like rabit food?? awful! I would rather eat 3/4 of a cup of the good stuff!! But yeah I just know that I am going to eat 2 servings when I eat cereal. which in turn has kinda got me away from eating cereal at all because it is so high on calories. Let me know if anyone has any low calorie cereals (that dont look like rabbit food)
    Thanks!

I like the Special K Protein Plus - each serving is 100 calories so I can eat 2 servings without feeling guilty and it has lots of protein to boot! I also like Kashi Go Lean Crunch...serving size is 1 cup but its a heavier almost granola like cereal so its more filling.
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    This is why I don't eat cereal. And if I do, I eat Barbara's Shredded Oats (original) -- no refined sugar, preservatives or additives. Just a bit of molasses to sweeten it up. One serving is 1 1/4 cup at 220 calories and packs a good nutritional punch -- for cereal, that is.

Cereal is one of the worst things you could do for your weight loss goals. It's often full of garbage (as a note to the last poster, THAT INCLUDES FIBER ONE!) and is typically full of sugar. It won't fill you up and you basically just waste your calories eating it.

Opt for oatmeal and you'll not only be much more satiated but you'll also do your body a favor by not filling it full of chemicals and preservatives.

I'll say it again: If a product has ingredients that you can't go buy at your local grocer, than a SCIENTIST made it and it's NOT FOOD!

Not to get into a pissing contest about cereal, but Fiber One has been voted as one of the best breakfast cereals.

Ingredients: Corn Bran, Whole Grain Wheat, Wheat Bran, Corn Starch, Guar Gum, Color Added, Cellulose Gum, Salt, Baking Soda, Corn Oil, Aspartame, Vitamin E. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Zinc and Iron (Mineral Nutrients) Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), B Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), B Vitamin (Folic Acid), Vitamin B12.

Questionable may be the "gums" -- Which are binding agents in food. If taken in alone in larger quantities, they are fibers that normalizes the moisture content of the stool, absorbing excess liquid in diarrhea, and softening the stool in constipation. It also might help decrease the amount of cholesterol and glucose that is absorbed in the stomach and intestines. There is some interest in using them for weight loss because they expand in the intestine, causing a sense of fullness. This may decrease appetite.

As for aspartame, in small quantities on the occasion will not kill you or give you cancer.. Note that it's the last thing on the list before the vitamins and minerals are listed.

Just because it's not something that you would eat, calling it garbage and claiming that it's a horrible cereal that won't help you feel full is a little uncalled for.

Hmm...you couldn't pay me enough to put ANY aspartame in my system. It's a neurotoxin and as we recently discovered, 85% of the FDA's complaints are issued due to aspartame reactions. 85%!! I don't even chew gum anymore because I can't find one without the junk.

As for the vitamins, it's been proven that "enriched" anything doesn't really do any good as the very reason they've had to "enrich" means that it was nutritionally void in the first place. You're better off to get your nutrients from WHOLE foods and plant-based sources.
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    This is why I don't eat cereal. And if I do, I eat Barbara's Shredded Oats (original) -- no refined sugar, preservatives or additives. Just a bit of molasses to sweeten it up. One serving is 1 1/4 cup at 220 calories and packs a good nutritional punch -- for cereal, that is.

Cereal is one of the worst things you could do for your weight loss goals. It's often full of garbage (as a note to the last poster, THAT INCLUDES FIBER ONE!) and is typically full of sugar. It won't fill you up and you basically just waste your calories eating it.

Opt for oatmeal and you'll not only be much more satiated but you'll also do your body a favor by not filling it full of chemicals and preservatives.

I'll say it again: If a product has ingredients that you can't go buy at your local grocer, than a SCIENTIST made it and it's NOT FOOD!

Not to get into a pissing contest about cereal, but Fiber One has been voted as one of the best breakfast cereals.

Ingredients: Corn Bran, Whole Grain Wheat, Wheat Bran, Corn Starch, Guar Gum, Color Added, Cellulose Gum, Salt, Baking Soda, Corn Oil, Aspartame, Vitamin E. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Zinc and Iron (Mineral Nutrients) Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), B Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), B Vitamin (Folic Acid), Vitamin B12.

Questionable may be the "gums" -- Which are binding agents in food. If taken in alone in larger quantities, they are fibers that normalizes the moisture content of the stool, absorbing excess liquid in diarrhea, and softening the stool in constipation. It also might help decrease the amount of cholesterol and glucose that is absorbed in the stomach and intestines. There is some interest in using them for weight loss because they expand in the intestine, causing a sense of fullness. This may decrease appetite.

As for aspartame, in small quantities on the occasion will not kill you or give you cancer.. Note that it's the last thing on the list before the vitamins and minerals are listed.

Just because it's not something that you would eat, calling it garbage and claiming that it's a horrible cereal that won't help you feel full is a little uncalled for.

Hmm...you couldn't pay me enough to put ANY aspartame in my system. It's a neurotoxin and as we recently discovered, 85% of the FDA's complaints are issued due to aspartame reactions. 85%!! I don't even chew gum anymore because I can't find one without the junk.

As for the vitamins, it's been proven that "enriched" anything doesn't really do any good as the very reason they've had to "enrich" means that it was nutritionally void in the first place. You're better off to get your nutrients from WHOLE foods and plant-based sources.

PS. The FIRST ingredient in your Fibre One cereal is GENETICALLY MODIFIED!! YIKES!
  • lowsky
    lowsky Posts: 4
    Options
    I measure out my cereal to make sure I only eat one serving, but I also take fiber pills. This really helps. The fiber pills I take also have something in them that is supposed to keep your sugar levels even throughout the day. I hope this helps.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Also recommending Kashi GoLean (specifically the Honey Almond Flax).. Every time I pour out I think "this isn't gonna fill me up", then I eat and realize it definitely does! I love the stuff now :)