chewing gum

newnicole
newnicole Posts: 44
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I have a question.
If I consume a lot of gum... a pack a day is this going to hurt my weightloss?
I know that its bad for me because of my jaw and just the acid in my stomach but i wondered if anyone knew if it affected my weightloss

Replies

• autiemommy
    autiemommy Posts: 238
    BUMP

Would love to know too I keep logging it into my snacks though.
    Great Question
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    there are calories in it, but not many. the caloric value is what has the possibility of affecting your weightloss.
  • krise31
    krise31 Posts: 53 Member
    Umm I know some gum is 5 calories for 2 pieces so just be mindful those little calories can add up especially if youre eating the whole pack.
  • You burn 20 calories an hour chewing gum. So if you have a piece every 15 minutes, it wouldn't do anything. I never log my gum.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    I have a question.
    If I consume a lot of gum... a pack a day is this going to hurt my weightloss?
    I know that its bad for me because of my jaw and just the acid in my stomach but i wondered if anyone knew if it affected my weightloss

I read this article last week....

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/01/too-much-gum-ca/
  • ariasbano
    ariasbano Posts: 11 Member
    I find chewing gum helps with cravings and holds me over until I am really hungry. So yes, it has helped me lose weight. But be careful with gums that contain sorbitol becuase you can OD on sorbitol (which causes IBS and lots of other illnesses).
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Not completely sure of the full answer, but I'm interested!

I stick to the sugar-free kind and usually don't swallow it. But I do log it!
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    People say that chewing gum is good for cravings, but also, when you chew gum your stomach fills with air, and it'll make you hungry & crave more.
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    People say that chewing gum is good for cravings, but also, when you chew gum your stomach fills with air, and it'll make you hungry & crave more.
  • I've never logged my gum, and I chew a pack a day! I'm still losing weight while nursing my gum habit..hah..but if someone has some compelling evidence that the calories DO outnumber those which you burn, I'd like to know about it.
This discussion has been closed.