What a difference a year makes!

Options
jdm_taco
jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
Greetings to you all! My name is David and my weight loss journey began in January on 2010. There are many reasons that influenced me to change my life. The main thing is the realization that I would be dead in 10 years if I continued down my current path and a doctor's visit where I read morbidly obese on the chart, which scared the F out of me. Since that time I took it upon myself to change and enjoy living once again and not be controlled by my size and unhealthy lifestyle. In a year and 2 weeks I went from 351lbs to 164 lbs and now I am gradually gaining lean muscle mass. When ever I am asked how I did this or whats the secret? I joyfully smile and say "the secret is there is no secret!!" I have only done this through sweat, pain, and sacrice.

I had lost weight before, but I gained it all back, and back, and some more back. So, I knew what I needed to do. I just had to get started. I began doing 30 minutes of cardio and lifting weights 5 days a week. I gradually increased intensity and duration. I LOVE to eat, so this aspect was most difficult to change. I am becoming better and better with my diet and I love finding new meals and snacks to eat. As for motivation, I felt I had no choice since it was basically life or death, but now I look forward to working out and especially running! I look forward to learning from you guys and sharing what I have discovered. This looks like a great forum.

Here is a before picture....
1zb5s3o.jpg

This is last month after finishing my first 10k race...
2mfwwti.jpg

Replies

• jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    AWESOME !!
    Truly inspiring.

Keep it up.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational - way to go! And props for sticking with it :)

(change the to lowercase letters to show the pictures!)
  • Kjandcuttysmom
    Kjandcuttysmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow! congrats! you look awesome and have done a great job of improving your health. Keep up the good work.
  • MABmom
    MABmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great job! You're an inspiration.
  • jdm_taco
    Options
    Very inspirational - way to go! And props for sticking with it :)

(change the to lowercase letters to show the pictures!)

Thanks! I was wondering about that.
  • AngieR45
    AngieR45 Posts: 21
    Options
    Awesome!! That's an inspiration! Losing weight and exercise isn't just about the way you look on the outside but about being healthy and feeling good about yourself on the inside.:smile:
  • iamanne
    iamanne Posts: 67
    Options
    You are an amazing inspiration! Thank you for posting your pics. You look fantastic. I hope that in a year I will be able to post similar pics. I ran a half marathon last weekend and barely made it through with a time of 2:58. My goal next year to finish below 2:30 and be able to walk around and enjoy the festivities afterward. Thank you again for sharing your success!!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing results great job!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    May I ask how you lost all this weight? curious ...
  • DancingVe
    DancingVe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Amazing! That's just so awesome :).
  • enriquez18
    enriquez18 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow! U inspire me. Great job!
  • jdm_taco
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's comments!!! Also, congrats to all of you that have made the commitment to a healthier lifestyle.

May I ask how you lost all this weight? curious ...

I workout every day and drastically changed my diet. I do cardio 2x a day for a half hour each and now I lift weights M-F except Wednesday.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats! You've done such an amazing job! Keep it up!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    WOW! That is FANTASTIC! Congratulations to you!! I wish you luck on this journey...you look great!
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Awesome post...a wonderful, inspiring example! And what a great photo at your first 10K!

Keep it going!
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Wowsa!! Amazing, congratulations! Keep up the hard work!!
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! most def and inspiration! good luck to everybody!!!
  • CurlyVonda
    CurlyVonda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You are such an inspiration to us all. :smile:
  • cunokyle
    cunokyle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!