Are you a binge eater?

Losing_It
Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
From Jillian Michael's newsletter...

Are You a Binge Eater?

If you're inclined to binge, the most important thing to do for yourself is to examine the emotional reasons behind your problem. I know that processing those emotions is hard and takes time, but here are some good techniques to help you modify your behavior and combat binge eating in the future:

Banish binge foods from your environment. Don't buy or purchase stuff that you can binge on. You can't eat what's not there, so get rid of it.

Try taking up a hobby. Keep yourself occupied so that rather than focusing on food, you'll distract yourself with something productive.

Decorate your fridge with stuff that motivates you. I have two pictures on mine: One is a photo of my cellulite, and the other is of Madonna. Let me tell ya, there is nothing that will turn you off to food like Madonna's rock-hard muscles next to a picture of the cottage cheese on your butt.

Call a friend. The next time you want to stuff your face, reach out for support and try talking through your feelings instead of anesthetizing them by bingeing.

Do something to screw up your binge. In other words, pamper yourself with something that's positive as opposed to self-destructive. Get a mani-pedi. Take a bubble bath. Go to the gym. There are many places to go and activities to take part in that'll also lead you away from food temptations.

Real work takes time, so it's good to have some techniques to fall back on when life gets the better of you! And remember: one day at a time. If you do end up in a binge, work out a little harder the next day. Every day is a new one. Got it, kids? Cool.

Replies

• Losing_It
    From Jillian Michael's newsletter...

Are You a Binge Eater?

If you're inclined to binge, the most important thing to do for yourself is to examine the emotional reasons behind your problem. I know that processing those emotions is hard and takes time, but here are some good techniques to help you modify your behavior and combat binge eating in the future:

Banish binge foods from your environment. Don't buy or purchase stuff that you can binge on. You can't eat what's not there, so get rid of it.

Try taking up a hobby. Keep yourself occupied so that rather than focusing on food, you'll distract yourself with something productive.

Decorate your fridge with stuff that motivates you. I have two pictures on mine: One is a photo of my cellulite, and the other is of Madonna. Let me tell ya, there is nothing that will turn you off to food like Madonna's rock-hard muscles next to a picture of the cottage cheese on your butt.

Call a friend. The next time you want to stuff your face, reach out for support and try talking through your feelings instead of anesthetizing them by bingeing.

Do something to screw up your binge. In other words, pamper yourself with something that's positive as opposed to self-destructive. Get a mani-pedi. Take a bubble bath. Go to the gym. There are many places to go and activities to take part in that'll also lead you away from food temptations.

Real work takes time, so it's good to have some techniques to fall back on when life gets the better of you! And remember: one day at a time. If you do end up in a binge, work out a little harder the next day. Every day is a new one. Got it, kids? Cool.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    thanks!

I'm a total binge eater and I think it goes hand- in-hand with eating disorders, too. great tips!
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    I'm going trhough this I think right now..I'm so depressed and I've been eating for the last 3-4 days very badly..Hopefully after this weekend after I get thhis benefit over for my dad it will get better..I'm still greiving the loss of my dad..I guess the realness has finally set in even though I wish it was a bad dream and I could wake up..Sorry I'm losing it..I hope everyone is doing well with thier weight loss.
    Dana
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't forget to love life no matter what your goals are!:flowerforyou:
  • rdhd88
    rdhd88 Posts: 18
    Dana,
    I lost my Dad too last year in October & those first holidays are rough & even this year isn't a lot better. My thoughts & prayers are with you. Take Care
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Dana, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I think in a time of grieving it is natural to seek out "comfort" foods. If at all possible try to find your comfort in family and friends...but don't beat yourself up about overeating during this time...your heart is trying to heal and sometimes that takes chocolate, lots and lots of chocolate.

Maybe this will make you giggle...

Well, I was trying to avoid eating ice cream while watching the Biggest Loser, so I decided to try and put fake nails on (for the first time). Somehow, I ended up gluing my index fingers together...I was pressing a nail on with my finger and thumb and they got stuck! :noway: I had to wake up my husband to help me and when I was trying to get some fingernail polish remover to unstick them, two more got stuck together! My nails look nice, but it probably would have hurt less to just eat the ice cream.
  • Losing_It
    Dana..I'm so sorry for your loss! Don't beat yourself up over the over-eating! It's no wonder. Just take it one day at a time. :flowerforyou:

Kel, that was hilarious!!!! Maybe I should try it!:laugh: I wanted to have a binge fest so bad last night while watching BL but I resisted by chewing Extra gum....haha sounds like a commercial for them!:laugh:
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Thanks girly...

I made me a list...

10 things to do that are better then eating
    1.kisses from my baby girl...
    2.Just to see Zoes smile...
    3.talkin with SIL or Mom
    4.Shower
    5. snuggling on the couch
    6.Have a smoke(i smoke black and mild cigars when stressed to help my craving for food)
    7. Read to Zoe
    8. Going to the Park
    9. Praying
    AND I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST....
    10. FUN IN THE BEDTOOM WITH HUBBY!
  • lexley
    lexley Posts: 35
    Yup, I'm a binge eater. I eat when I'm bored/tired/sad/depressed. It's part of my disordered eating habits. I've gone down the ED road before and I sometimes have to steer myself back onto the right path. That is why I'm here. So I try my best to keep the "bad" foods out of my kitchen and the good foods in full view.

I keep the fruit on the counter in a pretty bowl so its the first thing I see when I go to the kitchen. The good stuff is front and center in the cabinet. I'm lazy by nature so if I have to dig for it I won't lol. That's helped a bit. Also having snacks that I CAN binge on helps out greatly. Like baby carrots and a little bit of dip. That is a favorite!
  • Losing_It
    My new binge friendly food is slices of cucumber dipped in Daisy LIGHT Sour Cream. :bigsmile:
  • lexley
    lexley Posts: 35
    OMG that sounds yummy! :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.