WET OR DRY?

Options
I have a question.. Which is more effective.. The Steam room or the Dry Sauna? What are the benifits of each? I'm so in love with the Steam Room I just want to make sure their are benifits as far as weight loss?
Thanx Friends!

Replies

• BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I personally like the steam sauna. I sweat more and it good for your skin..
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a preference thing. I like the dry sauna because I know that the moisture on my skin is sweat and not the moisture from the air in the room. I also kind of get the willies going into the steam room. I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I know there probably isn't much of a difference, but at least in the dry sauna I can see where I should or should NOT sit. :)
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i think the dry sauna is healthier as youre using natural steam. i usually find that its easier to breathe in it too
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A far infrared sauna is the best way to go:

http://www.eastcoastsaunas.com/sauna-benefits.php
  • crawdiddy01
    Options
    Ive been doing the dry sauna lately, just because I go to one specific gym gym for the whirlpool and its been out of order last few times! Boo!
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I'm not sure if one is better than the other health wise, but I prefer dry saunas, I can't breathe in steam saunas
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm so in love with the Steam Room I just want to make sure their are benifits as far as weight loss?
    Unless there has been some recent research that I'm unaware of, the only benefit to weight loss is counteracted the minute you have a drink.

However, if you find it makes you feel good, that is not an indirect benefit to be ignored. :)
  • princessveggiecake
    Options
    I enjoy them both. I prefer the steam room. i really feel like im getting out some water weight .. adding moisture to my skin is just a bonus :)
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    I just recently started going to a gym that has a sauna and steam room. I got curious about this very thing and did a little Google work. The summary of what I learned was this:

The sauna and steam room both benefit you by...

a) Relaxing muscles
    After a workout, the muscles can be sore, irritated, and tight. The heat thearpy that these rooms provide can help ease that in most individuals.

b) Making you sweat
    Sweating has a few benefits, but most sources emphasize the cleansing aspect. Many people believe that along with urination, sweating is a means for the body to expel toxins and things in excess of what the body can process.

Steam room ....

a) Can help respiratory issues (good)
    Folks with breathing issues often find some comfort from the intense moisture in a steam room. Even if you don't have a serious issue, the steam can help open up constricted or congested breathing.

b) Is less sanitary (bad)
    While it is really hot in a steam room, it isn't hot enough to kill some of the stuff that can make us ill. The high moisture in the room is a good environment for this as well. This can be mitigated if the room is cleaned often and well. Learn about the cleaning regimine for the facility you are at, and take note of how clean it appears when you enter the room. If the janitorial work is done sufficiently, then the steam room is a great choice.

Hope that helps.