Losing inches - not pounds

Options
I have been doing Zumba for like 5 months now and I love it. I alternate between 3 different workouts (cardio & strength). I haven't lost any weight in like 2 weeks but I have lost 2 inches. I'm not complaining, I mean at least I am losing something, but I would like to lose both Am I gaining muscle or have I hit a plateau? Any suggestions?

2329301.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SW: 195
CW: 173
GW: 155

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    muscle gain or water retention due to muscle gain can counteract fat loss to a certain degree so long as the inches are coming off I would not sweat it, no pun intended. The scale number is not the be all end all to fat loss. FYI inches lost is a much more accurate tale of how your fat loss is progressing.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches you are gaining muscle, or re-distributing your weight.

Weight is a very ambiguous way of measuring progress.

Do you look better? Feel better?
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Try to change up your workouts! Try something new- I didn't look at your diary (not sure I can) but you body is becoming use to what you are doing. I had the same issue....I started this site to check in on the foods and my workouts I added different cardio machines, Body Attack and Body Combat class...You may need to push a lot harder in the Zumba class and at the cardio- as you body is now use to what you are doing! Everyone is different! But I did have the same issue!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Im assuming you'v gained muscle..
    It's heavier and smaller than fat, meaning that you'r very likely to get smaller but stay the same weight..
    Which is exaclty what is happening to you!
    If you'd hit a plateau you wouldn't be looseing inches iver!
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    Options
    I haven't tried Zumba yet, but am hoping to get into a class soon. Way to go on the inches and the dedication!!
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You are losing fat and gaining muscle. Great Job !! If you lose all the inches you want and not a pound, would you be happy ? I bet you will.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i've lost more fat and inches than weight, and have dropped a dress size:smile:
  • jennytaffe
    Options
    I have the same problem! I am also doing Zumba, along with running and my weight is at a stand still. But I can tell I'm toning and losing inches so I don't feel so bad about it. But it's always nice to see the scale go down, right! :)
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    and they problem is???? people cant see your weight but they can see inches! im sorry i just dont get why people complain about not losing pounds when it the inches that really count. you can be 150 and look out of shape or be 150 and look tight again ill never get it. congrats on the lost though:ohwell:
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    2" in two weeks. WOW, I need to be doing what you are. The best I can manage is 1/2" a week usually 1/4". Your doing great keep it up, when you can't put muscle on as fast as you are losing fat your weight will start dropping again.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The scale will definately mess with your head if you let it. Do not base your concept of progress on an arbitrary number you want to reach. If you are losing inches, you are losing fat. Go by the tape measure and the mirror. Congrats!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for like 5 months now and I love it. I alternate between 3 different workouts (cardio & strength). I haven't lost any weight in like 2 weeks but I have lost 2 inches. I'm not complaining, I mean at least I am losing something, but I would like to lose both Am I gaining muscle or have I hit a plateau? Any suggestions?

2329301.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SW: 195
    CW: 173
    GW: 155

unless you are doing some heavy weight lifting/resistance training you are not gaining muscle. Aerobic exercise causes muscle loss not gain (with the little bit of strength you are doing you could be at least preserving your muscle). There could be some water balance issues. You might want to switch up your exercise routine. After about a month your body adjusts and you won't get the same benefits. You might need to re-calculate your weight loss goal (drop down how much you want to lose per week). This will up your calories a bit and help fuel your workout and you could start losing again. (slower metabolism comes with loss of lean muscle mass and calorie restrcitions).
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    You are losing fat... it may not be "weight" but you are losing fat....

My suggestion to you would be to ditch the scale. they are a terrible way of tracking your progress...

In three months I lost 4 pounds, but I lost almost 9 inches...

To each their own. But I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.
  • adkelly10
    Options
    It is about how you look and not the weight. It is good to drop but better to look proportionate! I experienced what you are going through and it will pass just keep up the hard work!:smile:
  • hcole2004
    hcole2004 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well - yeah! I'm happy to be losing the inches and I have been feeling better - thx!
  • hcole2004
    Options
    You are losing fat... it may not be "weight" but you are losing fat....

My suggestion to you would be to ditch the scale. they are a terrible way of tracking your progress...

In three months I lost 4 pounds, but I lost almost 9 inches...

To each their own. But I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.

Thanks for the info! :happy:
  • hcole2004
    Options
    2" in two weeks. WOW, I need to be doing what you are. The best I can manage is 1/2" a week usually 1/4". Your doing great keep it up, when you can't put muscle on as fast as you are losing fat your weight will start dropping again.

Thanks! It must be the Zumba because that is all I am doing. It's nothing for me to burn 700-900 calories in one workout! I love it!
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    my scale has not moved in a couple weeks but when i took measurements this morning i had lost 3 total from my waist and also 2 from my hips. As long as your losing inches and feeling great I would not worry