I choose to stay fat!

Options

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Good job owning your actions and the results that come from them. However, you will not wake up one day with willpower and self control. Its hard and a lot of work, and you have to push yourself to make the changes and see results, but it can only happen when you are ready!

I don't think anyone who is overweight wakes up one day and suddenly has the ability to eat the right things and work out. We face temptations everyday and are tired and don;t wanna work out, so we have to make the choice to eat right and work out.

For me, I push myself only after I hit rock bottom and know I need to change or else. We all have that moment where something clicks and it keeps us pushing until we get where we need to be.

So the first step is owning up to your choices. Its a big step and a good one that you took. :flowerforyou:
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been the same way for many years-I think part is A.D.D. and another part is bad habit. A few weeks ago I started a program with Peertrainer called Point of No Return (PoNR). They send you modules every week that help re-train your thinking and habits and walk you through everything from cleaning out you cabinets to helping you choose better decisions. It has been very helpful so far as to getting on the right track- hence how I found MFP. Between the two programs I have changed my outlook on things and am more positive in this whole weight loss journey. I have more inspiration to do what I need from everyone here on MFP. I have about 60 lbs. to lose and it is going to take time but it just feels right this time. Don't lose hope and don't give up, and you are right we are the ones who have to do it. I am one step closer today then I was yesterday, and if you fall dust yourself off and go back at it!:bigsmile: Good Luck and feel free to bfriend me!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Try changing just ONE thing this week. I'll give you the first one if you like...switch to Dr Pepper Zero...that'll do for this week.

Now what do YOU want to change next week?

Baby steps will get you there quicker than giant leaps if giant leaps mean you keep stumbling backwards
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think you are exactly correct. I realized the same thing about myself a while back. I "thought about" losing weight many times and could just not seem to take action. I have been overweight for most of my 20 year marriage. When I began this attempt in February, I realized very clearly that the past attempts were just window dressing for myself. I didn't really realize it at the time, though. This time, though, I could tell from the start that the dedication was real, the desire a true desire, not just wishful thinking. And the results have proven me correct.

The reason I tell you this is that I believe that you have taken an important first step. The self inventory is so important. Now you might need to have a conversation with yourself about where on your priority list you are placing improving your health. If the time is right for you to make this effort your top priority, you will succeed with flying colors. I believe that by writing the post that you just did, you are getting ready.

As another poster said, don't beat yourself up over the bad. Just make some decisions and when the time is right for you, do it with everything you have. Celebrate every success you have along the way and use them to build momentum. You can do it. I like to realize that it's not an either/or, hit the goal or lose situation. Every pound, every good choice, every small improvement you make is something really good. Make today a healthier day than yesterday. Then do another day. Pretty soon you've made serious improvements and are better off than when you started.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It is great that you figured this out. Stick to your plan, stay motivated, and set small achiveable goals. This is behavior modification and it sounds like you are on the right path. Good luck!!
  • jrbb0309
    jrbb0309 Posts: 55
    Options
    Sometimes making all the changes we need to make at once is overwhelming.

Last summer, I decided I couldn't change all my bad habits at once but I also couldn't continue the way I was going. So... I told myself I would give up potato chips and french fries. I could eat chocolate, drink soda/pop, eat fried foods, etc, but no more potato chips and french fries. A month later I couldn't have cared less whether I ever had another potato chip or french fry. I actually discovered that on wing night, I loved having a good house salad with my wings.

Then I gave up soda/pop. I could have water, 100% juice cut with water, chocolate milk, etc, but no pop. Another month later and I no longer had any interest in soda/pop.

The next thing to go was added salt. And I cut down fried foods to once a week. Gave up my smart food popcorn. Now I'm working on chocolate.

By taking things in baby steps and focusing on one thing at a time, I've been able to have a much easier time of changing my habits.

You may not need to give up things completely. I find I'm addicted to various foods, etc, and that cutting them out completely (while finding healthy substitutes) is best for me. Anyway. I actually spent 6 months focusing just on changing my food habits without tracking calories or working out or giving myself grief about the habits I had yet to change and it was really liberating. I found I actually lost weight (just a little but better than gaining) by relaxing about everything except each individual goal.

Just an idea... you might find the same sort of approach appeals/works for you.

Oh, and it also works for exercise. I went from doing nothing to 3 days a week of Wii yoga with a bit of strength training to months later doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and working out 5 or 6 times a week. Now I actually get antsy if I take more than one rest day. Who would have ever thought? :P
  • amazondan
    amazondan Posts: 35
    Options
    It sounds like you're being 100% accountable which is a tremendous first step. Recognizing that you're choosing fat over fitness is an awareness that many lack. So based on that, it is up to you to ask, "Why am I choosing fat?" The answer to that could be quite self-revealing...and the key to moving you towards choosing fitness. Best of luck (though luck is the residue of design).
  • kelley555
    kelley555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It is totally amazing how you sound just like me! I would lay awake totally disgusted with myself for being overweight but then I wouldn't do anything about it. I finally decided that I needed to stop waiting for the next project or day or week or season and start living for today. I give you so much credit to talk to us so freely about your feelings. You are not alone and I wish you luck on your journey.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    That's a lot like what motivated me to really invest in the process around losing weight. I realized that all the good things in my life were there because I had ACTIVELY MADE them happen (finishing college, moving to a city I love, getting a great job, etc). And yet with my weight, I always just WISHED it would change but never did anything consistent or deliberate to move toward that goal. Earlier this month it hit me how ridiculous that was, and that if I could actively make other things happen, I could actively lose weight.

You are right that only you can make this decision, but don't let that feel like pressure. Take it as motivation to see positive results from something you choose to do.

You are obviously not happy with your current state, and losing weight is difficult, but you can choose which discomfort you'd rather have - make a healthier choice and give up something that's easy to turn to, or live as you are.

Use your food diary for meal planning. Sit down in the morning and map everything out. Give yourself some cheat calories (maybe 200 a day that are unaccounted for that you can do whatever you want with).

Find that motivator inside yourself and do something with it. You can do it if you decide to! Good luck with everything :)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    i do know, that for me, not having in the house saves me........No kids here, so I dont have to worry about having snacks for kids, etc, moms who do have kids.............I respect you

The biggest reason why I chose to change, was my health...........in a few years, your blood pressure will increase, putting you at risk for heart disease, and strokes

you could face renal damage, resulting in death or kidney dialysis

liver damage due to belly fat that will damage your liver

gall stones because of a fatty diet, you could be forced to undergo surgery for gall bladder removal

I could go on and on, but by now you get my points............Obesity kills, it kills over 75, 000 kids a year and 110 , 000 adults a year.........thats all I needed to know to make my change. Obesity kills....

best wishes, I hope you do it and soon, if not for you, for your loved ones...........Llloyd
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think that you want to be ready, but you're not completely there yet. With any form of addiction, you know it's bad but until you hit your rock bottom you will not change your habits. When you decide you're ready, you need support. You will then take it upon yourself to make the moves that are healthier for you. Until then, all of the half a** trying in the world, will only discourage you. When that time comes, you will take it upon yourself to remove the crap food and do what is necessary.

For myself, I thought I was ready, but not completely. It wasn't until I no longer allowed myself to rationalize the harm I was doing to myself, that I knew it was time.

You may also try to exercise 2 days a week for shorter sessions. Then when you get into a good habit, try 3 days. Also, try to just constantly move. This will make it easier to step it up, rather than just jumping right into every day of the week.

When you're ready, we are here for you and here to support you.
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are trying to do too much at once. Maybe what can work for you is setting smaller goals for yourself. Instead of thinking, "OMG, I need to lose 80 lbs.!" Think, "I'm going to lose 15 lbs over the next 3-4 months." Smaller goals are easier to manage and tend to be less overwhelming. And when you reach them, they can motivate you to get more done. Then, to accomplish that goal, start changing your lifestyle one step at a time. If you drink a lot of soda, reduce the weekly or daily amount until you manage to faze it out. If you usually tend to have large portions, try cutting back. (Stop yourself from helping yourself to that second plate.) Increase your water intake by one or two cups a day. Add a few fruits and veggies to your regular meals. If you never exercise, go for a 15 minute walk first thing in the morning 3-4 times a week and slowly increase the time.

After you get started with those little things, it becomes easier to incorporate a healthier living style. I find that a lot of people I've talked to just get overwhelmed because they think they suddenly have to go from a couch potato to an hour of cardio every day, or that they have to deprive themselves of everything they like to eat. It doesn't necessarily work like that, but you HAVE to be willing to start taking those first few steps. After that, it becomes easier.

Good luck!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You sound liek you're over whelmed by the whole "process" I call it a process because that's what it is. A few other responses mentioned doing one thing at a time. Go with that. That's how I've done it.

From reading your story it sounds like Dr Pepper would be a good place to start. Try switching to diet, or try and reduce your consumption of Dr Pepper for the next 7 days...and see where that goes. Don't worry about anything else. Set some small non-weight related goals and go from there. You'll feel better about yourself when you accomplish them while at the same time not be over-whelmed.
  • readytoowhere
    readytoowhere Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try changing just ONE thing this week. I'll give you the first one if you like...switch to Dr Pepper Zero...that'll do for this week.

Now what do YOU want to change next week?

Baby steps will get you there quicker than giant leaps if giant leaps mean you keep stumbling backwards

I think this is the right solution. start small....and work your way up...people dont change over night, but little things DO motivate. :) mini goals may be the best thing to work from.! GOOD LUCK!
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    Bviera took the words right out of my mouth. Small goals are less threatening, and you will build confidence and excitement every time you reach a goal. So try drinking all your water for 14 days straight (in addition to soda/juice/coffee you drink). Log all food and exercise for 14 days straight. (that's how long it takes to make a habit, it takes one day to break one!)

The one thing that worked for me? A buddy. If you don't have anyone right now, that's ok, because there might be an awesome buddy here on MFP that could walk the journey with you!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I think maybe smaller goals wil lhelp you. 10lbs, then another 10lbs etc.

Kudos to you for owning up to your decisions. i've heard too many people blame a million different things for being over weight when it all comes down to personal responsibility.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have come to realize that until i figure out how to change my thinking and take control of my body and mind I CHOOSE TO BE FAT!

True that! Start by getting your mind right. Being healthy doesn't only equate to your body fat percentage. Living a healthy lifestyle means you the make the right choices in diet, fitness and you strive to build and maintain a positive relationship with yourself.

Learn to accept yourself for what you are and recognize where you feel like you have let yourself down, don't be discouraged by those actions but instead learn from them and recognize that those are mental blocks that you are putting in front of your goals. It sounds to me like you've come to recognize the power that our attitudes have on our goals. Use that realization as a tool for improvement not fuel for negativity.

cheers
  • DRay64
    DRay64 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    :smile: First of all stop beating yourself up because that never solved anything. It is good that you realize that you have an issue because that is half the battle. I know for me I have to take things in baby steps. The first thing I did was replace the soda (pop) with water. That was the hardest thing for me. I was drinking at least 4 ltrs of pepsi a day and NEVER drank water. Now I drink water daily; not always the 8 cups that it says you should but I try to do atleast 6 and only allow myself a soda every once in a while. Since I am not one that likes water I use those crystal lite packets or something like them (there are different brands) to make it drinkable. There is no sugar in them and they taste good.

Another thing I started doing is forget about the gym. While it is a nice idea and sounds good for me just getting out and taking a walk around the block was a big accomplishment. I found out that I love to walk and if you can find someone to walk with you it is even better.

You can do this just take it one day at a time. If you mess up just start over the next day and don't beat yourself up.
  • mowrynation
    Options
    You are right that it is a choice and we all have to make the right choices everyday. It is easier with support to stay the course. I am fortunate to have a supportive husband , who also jumped on the health track with me.

I recently was a conference with a speaker Dr. Shad Helmstetter. He wrote a few really good books, and has some CD sets out too. I have been using some of his material that I borrowed from a friend and have seen a difference in my thinking already. His website is http://www.shadhelmstetter.com. Self Talk is the CD set that I am getting in a few weeks for myself.

All the Best
    xoxo
    Gail in NY

ps You Deserve to be Healthy!
  • bb1957
    bb1957 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up,, I too felt like a yo-yo- up and down, but in deciding to change just 1 thing that you do during the day, is a beginning. I decided to join the gym- and I have been going for over 2 months now. If I miss a day, I feel lost,, I am sleeping better and losing weight, slowly,,,- it is now part of my daily routine. You can make it fun... buy some new sneakers, and take a 45 min. walk,- around a park,, in the mall, a school track, anywhere you can find a place to walk safley. You can do it!