Eat back ALL my exercise calories????

Options

Replies

• gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    Why does it feel like you are smashing your head off a brick wall when talking to people and explaining that there is a better way of losing fat and retaining muscle? STARVING YOUR BODY WILL FAIL!! You can not eat like a mouse and workout like an olympic athlete and expect to be healthy end of story. Why do you gain weight when you start finally eating properly? Gee I wonder, it is a natural response the body has, it is saying holy heck I am getting fed and will hold onto every single bit of that for at least 2-3 weeks, so expect an initial gain when you do feed it properly, that is natural but the end result is that it will feed and grow your muscles and shed fat once you continue on that path, I am living friggin proof of that. I tried the way you are doing it and it does not work long term, I wised up grew a brain and then started losing fat easily, with tons of energy and I get stronger every single week.

For me It is a simple concept to follow and that is what's so attractive about MFP. But for some who have been told all their life to eat like a mouse they question about the need to consume calories they just burned exercising. It is a stigma that for some is hard to break. You read on here daily of those fighting this issue. Good job of keeping your patience, btw. :wink:
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @Newfiedan: "Losing weight is simple more burnt than what you take in" That is what I thought and what I was trying to clear up was how can you lose if you're eating what you burn? Unless it's like this: Your BMR is 1600, you eat 1200 and eat what exercise calories you burn, so your deficit is 400/day. Is that what you mean? And 99% of all diets fail. It's how you maintain your weight afterwards is what matters.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body burns without moving, walking, or eating. So as soon as you get out of bed you are burning more than that. MFP has built in the caloric deficit needed daily to shed the fat in a healthy way so eating below your bmr is not the right way to tackle fat loss. Look at me for instance, my bmr is 1669 cals my daily goal is 1940. I workout 3-4 times a week and eat back all those cals. I still lose 1 to 1.6 pounds a week consistently. MFP has set you up for losing fat already without you ever working out or moving a muscle other than your daily routine/activity level. That is why you are supposed to eat back those exercise calories. If you are morbidly obese you can get away with not eating them back as the body will actually help you burn off the fat to get to a state that it naturally wants to be in. No ones body wants to be fat, it goes against the very nature of the human body. Once we are getting down in weight to the 30 lbs and lower range though things change, the body does not want to release that fat store unless you are coaxing it along and working with it hand in hand, this is why I advocate healthy eating. It is a great way to give the body all that it needs and in turn it will shed the fat store. This has to be a lifelong thing, going back to old habits will get you right back where you started. You missed out on the part where I said it is to a point for cals in vs cals out. You can shed weight eating twinkies if you so desire but you will not get to a healthy you by doing that. Maximize your health and you will live a long life, you get out of this what you put in. Diet is 80% of the battle for fat loss, working out is 20% so even if you work out like an olympian unless you are eating to compliment that then you are not going to succeed.
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    I think I'm starting to understand what you're saying more.

Ugh, my brain.

I still think none of this applies to me. I must be the bad kind of special.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I think I'm starting to understand what you're saying more.

Ugh, my brain.

I still think none of this applies to me. I must be the bad kind of special.
    no you are not alone, it does apply it is just that some nuts are harder to crack than others, I am happy to help any of those whom need things laid out in plain simple terms, but you really need to open your mind to a better way to really get what I am saying and start on a better path to fat loss, one that is a much happier, healthier, and easier path than the one you are currently on. Sometimes we all need a good kick in the tukus to get things through to the brain and get them into practice. I have helped many men and women on here get on that path. I have turned many skeptics into believers. Worst case scenario you give it a few weeks and if it does not work o well go back to what you were doing, its not the end of the world.
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    I'll try to find a healthier way that works for me. Thanks for your help.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    anytime, I really hope that you do find it and learn to work with your body not against it.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way:

Your body needs a certain number of calories simply to function (grow hair, blink, function organs, move) and if you don't get AT LEAST that number of calories then bad things happen.

MFP calculates the amount of calories that your body needs to keep going productivly.

Go lower than that and you're in starvation mode and your body starts slowing down your metabolism so that you don't start seeing the effects of starving.

When you exercise (when you're already running on purely functional calories) you're going into starvation mode. You eat back those calories to keep you at a safe level so that your metabolism doesn't slow down.

People don't eat back their calories as some lame excuse to run into Wendy's.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Okay, yeah I'm not reading all that, sorry. I need a short simple explanation in no more than 3 sentences.
    I'm trying to understand this, but posting a scientific journal on the matter isn't going to help me get it any sooner.

My BMR is around 1200. I eat less than that and burn over 1000 calories a day and that is THE ONLY way I can lose weight. I've been discussing this with my doctor since the fall.

I've never heard anywhere that you're supposed to eat the calories you burn to lose weight. I don't see how eating what you burn is creating a calorie deficit, even if your metabolism goes up. Maybe I just don't get it because it doesn't work for me, it's really just hard for me to grasp this.

Your body resorts to using fat when it cannot get enough fuel from the food you eat. If you think I'm wrong, then how the hell are the people from The Biggest Loser losing all that weight when they only eat 1200 calories a day and probably burn over 3000 a day? They aren't eating back all those calories in food.

I know it can be frustrating, but if you ask a question, please be ready to accept the answers you get. These people are just trying to help you, because this is a supportive network. Think it was kind of uncalled for you blast that woman for helping out. It may have been a lengthy response but if you really are interested in HOW it works, than read it. We all need more positivity, take the negativity to another place.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    @kickerz - There is no way my BMR is anywhere near that because I actually tested this for two weeks eating that much without exercising and I gained like, 3 lbs. That's why I said my BMR is lower.

@Newfiedan - I read that you can have a large deficit for a long period of time as long as you have days where you reduce it by eating more or working out less.

Edit: Also, I don't want to gain muscle. I want to lose it!!

First off, NO you don't want to lose muscle. You want to lose FAT - NOT muscle. Plain and simple.

Second, I truly believe your body is in starvation mode. Your BMR could very well be higher than 1200, but you see a weight gain when you eat more because your body has been in a long term starvation mode and is trying like heck to regain some of the muscle it has burned to fuel itself.

1200 calories - whatever you burn at the gym isn't enough calories to live on. You have to eat to lose weight and to fuel your body correctly.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    The goal that MFP gives you already has calories deducted from it so you can lose weight. Eating a lot less or exercising huge amounts for long periods is not going to help you be slim in the long run. In the short run, you'll lose weight.

But,
    I assume you want to keep the weight off, once you lose it? You're not planning to put it back on, right?

So don't starve your body. Give it enough fuel that it won't freak out (and pack on the pounds) once you reach goal weight and start eating normally again.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think it's clicked for me. :) Thanks, ya'll. Nice to know I don't have to eat like a bird.
  • ricschick
    ricschick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You all said pretty much the same thing, but it still sounds like you're eating all the calories you worked so hard to burn off. That still doesn't make sense to me.

I guess I use MFP a different way. I don't count the exercise as more food I can eat, just more calories that I burn.

The thing is though once you log on to MFP and put in your info you basically have to do no more. You can sit on the couch and lose weight as long as you stay at your calculated calories. People add exercise to stay healthy and be fit. When you add exercise you have to thing of food as fuel and your body NEEDS fuel to run. If you are allowed 1200 calories and burn 1,000 you are only leave your body 200 calories to survive on and that just isn't enough.

Here is a post I made when I finally realized how it all worked...lol with pictures that show MFP has already built in a deficit.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/202392-a-visual-about-mfp-and-net-calories

If you go to any other site then ya your burn is your burn and you probably don't have to eat them back but MFP is just different that it creates a deficit right from the start.

wow thanks so much for explaining it like that!! it all makes sence now!
  • LARPkitten
    LARPkitten Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think I've got a good grasp of the system, so maybe I can explain it in a different way. I'm going to use example numbers to make a point; they're not based on any actual numbers, they just make the point. Bear with me:

MFP tells you how many calories you need to take in each day to LOSE weight. (As an example, we'll say 1500.) MFP knows that your body will go into starvation mode if you eat too much less than 1500. This point, the point at which your body starts panicking and thinking maybe it should start storing aside a few calories for a rainy day, is the "starvation point".

Maybe 1200 is your "starvation point". Maybe your "starvation point" is 1300. Maybe 1100. But it's safe to say that you can eat a little more or a little less than your target 1500, and still lose weight without starving.

When you exercise, your body uses more energy, so it needs more calories. When that happens, your body needs more than the average number of calories to keep from starving, so your "starvation point" for that day gets higher.

So if you eat 1500, but you burn 500, and your "starvation point" is usually 1100... You've just triggered the start of starvation mode, made your exercise less effective, and made things more difficult for later. (Once your body starts thinking it's starving, it takes a while to train it back to normal metabolism.)

(FYI: Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. I AM new, I just like to have a good grasp on things.)
  • ricschick
    ricschick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Why does it feel like you are smashing your head off a brick wall when talking to people and explaining that there is a better way of losing fat and retaining muscle? STARVING YOUR BODY WILL FAIL!! You can not eat like a mouse and workout like an olympic athlete and expect to be healthy end of story. Why do you gain weight when you start finally eating properly? Gee I wonder, it is a natural response the body has, it is saying holy heck I am getting fed and will hold onto every single bit of that for at least 2-3 weeks, so expect an initial gain when you do feed it properly, that is natural but the end result is that it will feed and grow your muscles and shed fat once you continue on that path, I am living friggin proof of that. I tried the way you are doing it and it does not work long term, I wised up grew a brain and then started losing fat easily, with tons of energy and I get stronger every single week.
    [/quote

i agree i for one thank you for all the info!!!! you have been sooo helpful and i will no longer feel guilty for eating back my cals xxx
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You all said pretty much the same thing, but it still sounds like you're eating all the calories you worked so hard to burn off. That still doesn't make sense to me.

I guess I use MFP a different way. I don't count the exercise as more food I can eat, just more calories that I burn.

That's fine until your habit of burning off large numbers of calories without adequate fuel causes you to lose muscle mass, which will cause your metabolic rate to drop, which will land you hard on a plateau. And worse, even if you do manage to starve yourself down to your goal weight, you're likely to find that maintenance is harder than it needs to be. That's what happens when you force your body to lower its expectations and ratchet down your metabolic rate. Ever hear of yo-yo dieting?

It might help if you don't think of exercise calories as "extra" calories. They aren't really, they're just the portion of your daily post-deficit caloric need that MFP fully expects but can't estimate without knowing how much time and effort you put into exercise. It's hard enough to estimate the calories burned simply from the business of living, but at least that portion of your caloric need remains fairly constant from day to day and is thus relatively easy to tweak if they get it wrong.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Space Coconaut said" @ladyhawk: I am injected with Risperdal Consta twice a month."
    [/quote]

You also mentioned that you think that your medication is messing with you... but can't get off it....

Risperdal Consta WILL make it difficult for you to lose weight, and will "HELP" you keep it on... especially in your midsection. All I can say is try to rely on exercise to maintain your health, and *MAYBE* one day you could have the injection reduced or eliminated. In my opinion, super slow weight loss is better than the alterative of going off that medication. So, good for you to know that going off the medication isn't really an option right now.
  • Lost_it
    Lost_it Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Easy Explanation. That is how I figured it out, so I eat most of my exercise calories to make sure I am not under 1200 calories a day.

1200 Calories - 500 burned = 700 calories + 500 exercise calories eaten = 1200 eaten for the day.

or

1200 regular calories + 500 extra exercise calories = 1700 Calories - 500 calories burned = 1200 calories for the day

You will never eat more than 1200 calories.

Hope this helps
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can keep for future reference!
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of exercise. I've been struggling with about 2 stones that shouldn't be there for about 2 years. At Christmas time I went on an eating binge and ate a takeaway pizza about 3 times a week. I dropped half a stone very quickly and couldn't understand why.

Earlier this year I joined MFP, the weight still wasn't coming off much at all. I began to feel tired and get funny headaches. I looked back through the food diary and I then realised I had a history of netting about 700 calories per day or less with all the exercise I did.

The week before last, I had three days of not watching what I ate, and I dropped 3 pounds immediately. I've come to the rather sorry conclusion that my metabolism has been wrecked by not eating enough of food for the exercise that I've been doing. It all makes sense to me now. I just wonder why on earth I used to come home after a fifteen mile run and eat beans on toast!!! I'm getting there now, and I'm going to eat back my exercise calories. It works for me, and I'm still losing xx