Increased water weight

lcamero2
lcamero2 Posts: 52
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Hi, I am trying to increase my water intake to at least 10 cups a day. Last time I tried this I got so freaked out by how much weight I was gaining (I know it was only water weight) and how it was not going down, even though my salt intake is less than 1500 a day and my diet remained consistent (with the exception of the increased water intake), that I stopped and reduced my water intake to only 3-4 cups a day.

I am determined to stick to it this time and keep my water intake up, but I am wondering how long did it take you to finally notice that your body was letting go of the extra water. When can I expect my body to adjust and for the water retention to subside?

Replies

• MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    I usually notice my body dropping water weight (from food/sodium/weight workouts) in a day or two. Sometimes it can take up to a week.

Weigh yourself in the mornings, BEFORE drinking anything and after peeing, to get an accurate weight not affected by water intake. Don't let it freak you out.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It's different for everyone. I don't think I noticed any water retention as I increased my water consumption. I did it slowly though. I didn't go from drinking no water to 12 glasses in a day.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    You need to give it @ least 3 days, maybe a little longer. Your body will suck up everything like a sponge @ first, but will then decide to start letting go.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    hmm, I tend to gain weight if I don't drink enough water. I can tell if I'm a bit dehydrated b/c my ring will be tight. If I don't get at least 8 glasses one day, I don't bother looking at the scale the next day b/c I know I will be retaining water weight. I dunno. Maybe once your body gets used to that much water, it won't like getting less. That's where I am.
  • lcamero2
    lcamero2 Posts: 52
    bump... how long did it last for other people?
This discussion has been closed.