Couch to 5K?

Options
Has anyone done this program? I'm thinking of trying it. I've downloaded the app to my iphone and plan on trying it on the treadmill tomorrow night at the gym. I'm worried I'm too big.

Replies

• outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    There's a lots of people on here that have done it/are doing it. There's a thread somewhere here. I'm on W8D3 and have my first 5k coming up on Sunday. I thought I was too big too but turns out I was just right!
  • Cutiger81
    Cutiger81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it along with several others on our C25k thread. Since I've started I've dropped some good weight.
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 and I love it. While running 25 minutes straight I think back to when running 3 minutes straight made me feel like I was going to die! :laugh: It makes me smile.

Seriously try it - it's great!

~ Joanna
  • cybelesmith
    Options
    You can do it. I was overweight, old and asthmatic, but I did it and ran 5 or 6 races last summer. I am not, nor will I ever be, fast, but it's doable. If you stick with it until week 5, you passed the hard part. Good luck.
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    I didn't know it was an app.. I am currently downloading it and going to give it a try!
    thanks!
  • sociable15
    Options
    My fiance's done it, as have a bunch of friends of mine. I've been running pretty much most of my life (with about 2 years where it all fell apart. hence...me being here) and have used a modified version to get back into running shape in the past. It's great and HIGHLY recommended to avoid people overdoing it right out of the gate and either hurting themselves or just wearing themselves out and quitting.
  • overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    I have completed the couch to 5k and as you can see from my ticker that I have a lot of weight to lose. I am excited to say that I am signed up to run my first official 5k this weekend. I say go for it. I am shocked that at my size, I am able to run 32 plus minutes non stop. Good luck and I'm happy to encourage you in any way I can :)
  • ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    I thought the same thing! I started Saturday (today was my WK 1 DAY 2). The app does help. I'm 206lbs. and thought that I'd need to at least be under 200 for me to be successful. Turns out, (so far) it's a piece of cake! I guess I'm in a little better shape than I thought?!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I absolutely ABHORRED running but started C25k because I thought that to be fit I needed to run. I made sure to get a good pair of shoes (I use Asics) and made sure to stretch well and started. I got up to week 7 and just ran my first 5k in 33 minutes! The great thing about the C25k is that you can just keep doing a certain day or a certain week until you nail it and then move on. So what if it takes a little longer? You're running and that's the important part :) DO IT!
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am going to give it a try.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I just started.
    You should check out my blog.
    It explains my first day's experience. :D
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i am doing it. i weigh about as much as you, i have actually lost 10 pounds. it was difficult at first but you can totally do it. i am up to jogging 22 minutes straight. i have been staying with that trying to master that time before i move on. good luck and you can absolutely totally do it!!
  • minus40
    minus40 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You can do it. It's a great program... I really enjoy it. Isn't the iphone a wonderful thing?... Definitely invest in a running case for your training. Have fun :)
  • Shart2
    Shart2 Posts: 2
    Options
    This isan awesome, painless, fun and encouraging was you start jogging! If you can do it with a pal its even better! Im on week 6 and am loving it! I love seeing and feeling my progress. ! Good luck to you!
  • Shart2
    Shart2 Posts: 2
    Options
    This isan awesome, painless, fun and encouraging was you start jogging! If you can do it with a pal its even better! Im on week 6 and am loving it! I love seeing and feeling my progress. ! Good luck to you!
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    This is a wonderful program, and I hated running before this it is a great program that gives you baby steps to start. Good luck I wish you the best!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump....
    Don't know if I can do it just yet - but I found the app.....
  • grits317
    grits317 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! You guys are making me nearly giddy with excitement that I actually have tears in my eyes!! Thank you all so much for your encouraging words. :bigsmile:
  • Cutiger81
    Cutiger81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just completed w3d2 run went extremely well until last run. I stopped for 12 seconds to catch my breathe then finished the run. Again I had just completed an uphill run and a very steep incline. After completing the run during the cool down I sprinted about 120 yards down hill and back up hill in about 40 seconds to make up for the 12 second stop. I know it really doesn't make up for it but i felt guilty. I felt that my stopping was all mental and that the hill got the best of me. I will continue to challenge the hills in my community until I over come them.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Just completed w3d2 run went extremely well until last run. I stopped for 12 seconds to catch my breathe then finished the run. Again I had just completed an uphill run and a very steep incline. After completing the run during the cool down I sprinted about 120 yards down hill and back up hill in about 40 seconds to make up for the 12 second stop. I know it really doesn't make up for it but i felt guilty. I felt that my stopping was all mental and that the hill got the best of me. I will continue to challenge the hills in my community until I over come them.

That's the spirit! I do my runs on a track mostly but I read that if you keep your eyes on the top of the hill it helps you breathe better and therefore the hill is easier. You can do it :)