Try to lose with fibromyaglia

Options
Looking for friends who also understand the problems of having fibromyaglia. Some days are great other I can hardly stand to move.

Replies

• cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't have it, but one of my best friends does.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia as well, diagnosed in early 2008 just before I turned 24. Its hard. Some days I don't get workouts done so I focus on just eating very well those days. I feel ya, its hard.. Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I don't have fibro, but I have SLE Lupus and Hashimotos disease, so I DEFINITELY feel your pain...
  • xcountrymom2
    xcountrymom2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have two great friends who have this. One has a terrible time with it and her weight. The other has learned to manage it with exercise and diet and I think also medication. I will have to ask her. I have psoriatic arthritis and it hurts to walk and exercise sometimes but in the long run its helped me feel better, plus I take enbril. Have you looked into that drug lyrica? Then of course you have to have insurance that will pay for it or it is very expensive. Good luck to you!
  • llucibelle65
    Options
    Although I was only recently diagnosed with fibro, I have been suffering with it for a while. I also have diabetes which doesn't react to my insulin. I have polycystic ovary disease. All of these conditions make it hard to lose. I hate the fatigue and the pain, which seem constant lately. I'm on neurontin, but it doesn't seem to deal with the pain. I try to keep moving, but it's almost impossible to motivate myself somedays. Any tips for those of you who have been dealing with any of these things?
  • tlcrawford916
    tlcrawford916 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do have Fibro. Was diagnosed in 2006. It is hard to get the motivation to do it, but exercise really does help. You have to go very slow when you start and add a little more each week. Before you know it you will be feeling much better. I still have bad days, but since I started exercising they are few and far between. If you start out walking for 10-15 minutes and work up to an hour over a months time. It is a slow process but you will feel the benefits. I just started a couple months ago, and I am now up to an hour on an eliptical, lifting weights, doing yoga and today for the first time I did zumba. You feel sore after but it gets better. you can add me if you like, and we can talk if you want to. Oh and I have stopped taking all those fibro meds!!! They didnt help and made me sleepy, drug feeling, and feeling worse. I only take tramadol when needed for pain.
    good luck
    Teresa
  • webbstace
    webbstace Posts: 17
    Options
    My mom has it. She is under "laurelstorm" on MFP. Best wishes to you.
  • danlyn
    danlyn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and Lyme disease, both of which zap my energy and makes it difficult to want to exercise. I especially seem to have problems with pain and stiffness in my feet and ankles. I have been receiving very good care for the past year from a holistic fibromyalgia MD and I take a lot of supplements which really seems to help. Feel free to friend me because I definitely know what you're going through. We can help each other stay motivated for exercising and sticking with our eating plans. Good luck!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    I've had it for years. I've been on all the drugs and find that diet and exercise work best for managing my pain. Keeping my weight down helps but I know how hard it is. I want to do the calorie-blasting workouts that I see my other MFP friends post but I've got to stick to walking. Even that can be a challenge when I'm not feeling up to it. And who wants to cook healthy when you're too tired and hurt too much to cook at all. It's tough for people with chronic pain and fatigue but we can and will succeed if we really try!

Please add me as a friend :)

EDIT: In fact, anyone struggling with fibromyalgia and weight loss is welcome to add me as a friend. I'd be glad to know you and help support you <3
  • CindyN58
    CindyN58 Posts: 39
    Options
    I also have fybromyalgia. I was diagnosed about 30 years ago when it was still called fibocitis. Most Dr.s at the time did not even believe it was real. They also said it was not a debilitating syndrome. I have been in and out of wheelchairs at various times in my life. I own a cane, walker and scooter as well. I understand how the pain can go from mild to unbearable extremes. And then there are all the other things that go with it such as poor sleeping, IBS, balance problems, etc. Even though exercise is good for me the pain that can come from it makes me want to crawl in bed with my electric blanket and curl up in the warmth. Motivation is really tough during bad times, and I have struggled with weight problems all my life as well.
    Now, with all these things stacked up against us, we still have to keep moving. Never lose that will that keeps pushing you on. You may have to work harder at it, but you CAN achieve anything you set your mind to. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

I would be pleased to be your friend, and would also love to be friends with anyone else who suffers with fybromyalgia.
  • LeahHarrison
    Options
    Thought I was the only person who knew about this!!!! Join a swimming pool that has a sauna. Hop in the sauna for 15 minutes and drink plenty of water when you are in there. Then jump into the pool and swim for as long as you can. I took an adult swimming lesson to make sure I was breathing properly because this is the key to getting a good swim workout. If you are breathing properly your muscles dont cramp as much. After your swim jump back in the sauna for another 15 minutes...again make sure you drink loads of water!!!! Stretch while you are in the sauna. If you're still felling cramped, jump in the 'plunge pool', have a break and then have another 15 minute sauna session. Make sure you always have a bottle of water with you and drink as much as you can. Flush the toxins out of your muscles.

I have found that not so much by watching my calories but really watching my nutrition levels and drinking plenty of water, along with the swim/sauna regime, the condition is improving. Stay away from alcohol if you can :-)......if I have red wine my muscles always cramp worse. For the same reason stay away from coffee. Dont be too concerned with protein levels being high, in fact I would encourage it. Stay away from sugar that you put into stuff, stay away from artificial sugar. The only sugar that helps is natural sugar derived from fruit and vegetables. Pears and strawberries are great......but dont go too crazy unless you've done some exercise.

I have a deep tissue massage every week to keep the blood flowing and this is critical maintenance too. Remember that when you have this disorder a warm bath is not a luxury, but a neccesity. I put 'lectric soda' in mine and a couple of drops of pure essential relaxation oils. The mornings are hardest so I used to set my alarm a bit earlier so I could crawl to the bath if that's the only way I could get there. Always drink water in the bath too, (but not your bath water :-). Since I have been swimming I can move better in the mornings though so I haven't needed to have a bath.

The swimming is relaxing only because I had a lesson and I learned to swim and breathe properly, when you swim, really stretch out your body. Make sure you join an indoor heated swimming pool so you can swim all year round and its not such a shock to the body jumping into cold water. Take a punnet of strawberries with you or some grapes and eat them as soon as you walk out of the swim complex, this stops you getting a shocking craving after your sugar levels have dropped and stops you eating something you might regret or that will do damage to your body.

I lapsed on eating properly and drinking water over the last 4 days of easter and my body has locked up and I feel like Im back where I started. Funny how you wrote this because it was just the reminder I needed as to why I am doing this. Without a doubt my condition has improved by dedicating myself to a 'health' regime as opposed to a losing weight regime. The added bonus is that I've lost a bit of weight by doing it. Fire your metabolism up and eat right through the day, even amounts every 2 to 3 hours. Try not to eat after 7.

I hope this helps...it can get better...this is the regime I have used to do it and I know it works because like I say, I lapsed for 4 days and the difference is profound. Thank you for posting this!!!

Oh and look into the alkaline diet and adding some barley grass powder as a supplement to your meatier meals...mix it in once it is cooked though.
  • CindyN58
    CindyN58 Posts: 39
    Options
    You are so right Leah! I go to water exercise classes for sufferers of fibro, twice a week. Then I sit in the whirlpool for 15 min. after class. What a great feeling. I also get a massage every two weeks. If you decide to do this make sure you choose someone who knows how to treat people with fibro. Diet is also SO important. As well as rest and sleep.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I'm a FibroFighter too!! I am in this for the long haul. I am very motivated to lose this weight and feel better. I find regular visits to a Fibro-specialized Chiropractor who incorporates massage into the adjustments, a natural diet (fruits, veggies and protein-no processed foods, dairy or non-fruit carbs) and water excercise help tremendously. Feel free to add me just write "Fibro" in the message! Good luck to everyone; this is a debilitating disease but I have chosen not to let it get me!

I was diagnosed in 2009 but suffered since 2007 after a work related accident. My fibro was caused by the traumatic fall I experienced.
  • penny5
    penny5 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also have fibro. I'm so surprised that there are so many of us. A lot of people have never heard of fibro before so I'm excited to be able to connect with others that also have it. I find it helpful to get at least 9 hours of sleep per night and stay as active as I can otherwise my muscles lock up. Feel free to add me as a friend!