best/worst exercise dvd

Options
2»

Replies

• ritarampage
    Options
    The Best - I love many of the 10 Minute Solution series because they are customizable, whether you feel like doing ten minutes, twenty minutes, or all the way up to the full fifty minutes. In addition, they offer at least one ten minute low-impact workout (for low energy days ^_^), but most have modifications throughout. My three favorites are Carb Burner, Kickbox Bootcamp, and Quick Tummy Toners.

The Worst - I couldn't tell you. If I run through something once and hate it, I get rid of it and forget about it! I hate most dance-y workouts because they can be excessively complicated.

Good luck!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Best DVDs I'd have to say anything by Chalene Johnson (Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, ChaLean Extreme) and anything by Cathe Friedrich (www.cathe.com). I also have an old VHS by Minna Lessig that is REALLY good, but I no longer have a VCR. : (

The worst DVDs I've done...hmmm...I bought The Biggest Loser workout a few years ago and really didn't like any aspect of it. Found it quite boring and it didn't motivate me to workout. The workout itself was okay, but I'd rather watch concrete cure.
  • Vpirwannab
    Options
    I love Gilad Janklowicz's "Total Body Sculpt" and "Bodies in Motion" DVD's. I think no matter what level you're at, you can get something out of them. You can get the ones that are "As seen on tv" and they are only 22 minutes long, or you can get the extended ones which are about 45 minutes long, I think. The "Bodies in Motion" is more cardio and the "Total Body Sculpt" is more (as the name would suggest) sculpting - aka strength training. The Body Sculpt doesn't *all* involve weights, but some of it does.

I don't know about worst really. There have been some dancing ones I tried on FitTV and on Instant Watch, but I don't remember the names.

I'm doing P90X right now and it's ok, but I wouldn't suggest doing it as your first exercise DVD. You may get very discouraged because they are a bit tougher.
  • Vpirwannab
    Options
    I totally agree with this post. I love all Gilad's workouts. He is very informative about the dos and dont's. He has excellent warm up and cool downs. Just love him. I have tried the P90X and realize it is just to much for me. I find it painful and i am never sure if I am doing it correctly. Start with Gilad. You could even TIVO his workouts on FitTV to see if you like them. Good Luck.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership and love my gym. But, you know what? There are days when I just don't wanna leave the house, but I want to workout. So, I drag out my ole Tae Bo tapes/dvds. I have the original ones (on vhs! LOL) and do them occasionally. I also have the LIVE ones on dvd. I do the 30 min basic one if I'm short on time and the 60 min advanced one if I want a hard workout.

I will tell you that I am ALWAYS sore after doing Tae Bo, so I know it's working a ton of muscles.
  • RachelHancock
    Options
    :happy: :

Taking it seriously - Chalene Johnson (she's fun and makes you work everything)
    Jillian Michaels, No More Trouble Zones
    Shaun T

Hard but you don't realise cos it's fun and has 'real' music: Ministry of Sound Pump it Up

Harder than it looks, good to start when you're feeling like you want to take it easy: 10 Minute Solution, Perfect Body Pilates.

want to enjoy yourself and burn some calories at the same time but not make massive improvements to your body composition: Zumba

:explode:

Can't get to grips with Carmen Electra, Tracy Anderson, most celebrity DVDs.

:drinker:
    Resistance training will transform your body and you can still eat :)
  • Mmmie
    Mmmie Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advise. I tried Jillian Michael beginners backside today and it was pretty good I will be hurting tomorrow . I also just got 2 kettle-ball DVDs now I just need a kettle-ball but I have a question about that how heavy should I go I want lean muscle I don't want to bulk up I was think maybe 3 to 5 pound but then Maybe I should get one a little heavier like a 10 pound
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    marking
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advise. I tried Jillian Michael beginners backside today and it was pretty good I will be hurting tomorrow . I also just got 2 kettle-ball DVDs now I just need a kettle-ball but I have a question about that how heavy should I go I want lean muscle I don't want to bulk up I was think maybe 3 to 5 pound but then Maybe I should get one a little heavier like a 10 pound

Kettlebells (real kettlebells, not kettlenetics, firm, etc.) have a pretty steep learning curve. That's why I don't do them. Be VERY careful - you can screw up your back big time. Good instructors are NOT the famous names (making a quick buck) - but people you probably have not heard of - Sarah Lurie (Iron Core) & Lauren Brooks.

Beginner women use 10-15 pounds. Advanced women (with professional instruction and good form) use 30+ pounds.

I just use regular dumbbells for strength training. A 3 & 5 pound set is a good start. I second the previous poster who said use collagevideo.com. I too rent Netflix DVDs - but I can preview them on collagevideo first. That way I know they are beginner, intermediate, require equipment, high impact, and on and on - just a wealth of information.
  • skeele
    skeele Posts: 72
    Options
    I had been wanting to try P90X for so long, but heard it was quite hard. I was advised to start with Chalean Extreme. I've only been on it 2 days but its actually pretty good. Maybe after doing this I will try P90X. I have done TaeBo and loved it, but yeah... small apt may not be the best place to try it. lol Good Luck to you all
  • Mmmie
    Mmmie Posts: 31
    Options
    Sarah Lurie (Iron Core) Is the instructor on the set of DVD I got at the flea Market for $1.00 each I got a step today for $6.00
    So I am not doing to bad I also have a body blade and 2 biggest loser DVD one is the last chance and the other is the walking one
    I have 1lb ankle weights and 3lb dumbbell and of course a sticky mat
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sarah Lurie (Iron Core) Is the instructor on the set of DVD I got at the flea Market for $1.00 each I got a step today for $6.00
    So I am not doing to bad I also have a body blade and 2 biggest loser DVD one is the last chance and the other is the walking one
    I have 1lb ankle weights and 3lb dumbbell and of course a sticky mat

What great deals! Sara Lurie - You're in good hands. I love step BTW - are you familiar with them yet? Good basic beginner step (please ignore this if you already know it) - Cathe Basic Step, Kari Anderson Go! or Shapely Girl Let's Get Stepping will get you started.