What was your "rock bottom"?

Options
2»

Replies

• clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For me, it was finding out that I weighed 185lbs and was considered clinically obese. I knew at that point I had to take control.

I've slipped off the wagon again recently, but the memory of that day when I realised that I might really be doing harm to my health stays with me so I won't let myself get back there again!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I realized I was the fat mom at Girl Scouts, having always been the tiniest in any social situation, I was now the largest.
  • Blinx99
    Blinx99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    just realising that your pants seem tighter! lol
  • Mamakat25
    Mamakat25 Posts: 24
    Options
    I went to my OB/GYN for my yearly physical, and when my blood pressure was taken, it was 152/102!! My Dr. put me on Blood pressure pills and gave me a HUGE lecture on how I need to lose weight or I'm not going to see my grandkids.
    I was 32 years old and 376lbs.

It has taken me a little over 3 months to lose the 36lbs that I have lost. and I feel amazing!! I'm almost to my pre-pregnancy weight for my 2.5yo and 4yo. The number that keeps coming up in my head of what i want to be in a year is 220.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I teaching a class of year 7's and half way through one kid put his hand up and said:
    "Miss, I didn't know you were pregnant"
    Well he went a lovley shade of pink when I told him I wasnt, but from that moment I realised I had to change something
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for being so honest and sharing your stories! I never told anyone except my husband about the elevator incident, so it feels a bit freeing to have shared it here. :smile:

Everyone's success is so inspiring! Can't wait for my first weigh-in Saturday morning!
  • Rosaleeh81
    Options
    Mine was partly when i saw an old "friend" and his jaw pretty much dropped when he saw me..i'm talkin, he looked at my body, and just froze. When i say "friend" i mean, we used to be, but we haven't talked in years. Last time i saw him, i was getting to my biggest weight...but i also saw him 4 months post partum....even tho i lost all my baby weight. Before that, i was always 35-40lbs lighter, so i knew it was gettin bad!! Either way, i was sick of being fat, so i did something about it. 33 lbs later, i feel sooo much better :)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    When my weight was 175+, and I realized I was officially "obese" and that I'd need to start shopping in the plus sizes. No way.

That was Jan. 1.

Since then, I've lost almost 20 pounds, and had 3 NSVs just yesterday: the smaller size 12 jacket buttoned easily over my boobs, I wore a tank top OUT IN PUBLIC and felt GOOD, and my underwear were so loose that they were shimmying down my butt and I had to take them off and THROW THEM AWAY.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In the late summer/fall of 2009 I took two trips with college friends and after seeing the pictures, I was shocked at how I looked. Not that it was a surprise, I knew I was obese and had lost a bit of control over the last year but I was in denial. You can't deny what's right there in vivid color though!
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    On New Years day I went out with one of my size 2 friends and my son and during most of our visit my 7 year old kept whispering to me that I was Fat, then in line at DQ for him He said it louder as if I hadn't heard him all day. I had to put on a brave face and not let anyone see me hurt like it did...My lil man who is my support had broke me down. needless to say I jump on the wagon and started loosing weight when I hit a wall I came here and things have been much smoother
  • dmkaiser83
    Options
    Mine was looking at pictures from parties and family gatherings and realizing how much weight I had gained. I was 205 and I'm now down to 190. I'm guilty of self sabotage. things will be going great and then I do something like have a weekend binge and then get depressed and then a month goes by with no working out and I gain the weight back. I'm done with the vicious circle. I've found my soul mate workout! TurboFire really changed my life. I'm starting week 3 and I'm so excited to get healthy! I was 145 after I had my first baby, I'm shooting for that again! maybe even 135! I'm just tired of always being the fat one in the group. I want to wear a bikini and feel good in it! heck, I want to wear shorts and feel good!
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Watching a video of myself at my daughter's preschool graduation. I was shocked. I couldn't believe how huge I looked. But there it was. I couldn't deny it.
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    My husband was out of work and I couldn't afford to buy new pants but couldn't fit into my regular ones. I had to wear my maternity clothes even though I wasn't pregnant :-(
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I realized I'd gained practuically 100 lbs since getting out of highschool and BMI considered me obese. That's some scary shiz to find out. Plus, I want a single neck again. >:( !!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When I saw morbidly obese on my chart in the doctor's office, I knew it was time to make a drastic change.....quick!
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    Some truly great and touching stories.
    I am basically a private person and find it hard to share personal things. But after being on this site for a couple of weeks I read post after post of people pouring their hearts out. I went through a divorce 10 years ago dissolving a 24 year marriage and leaving my 2 grown kids with heartbreak. Fast forward 10 years later my kids are fine and my ex and I are on friendly terms, but it took its toll on me physically. I went from 190 to 267 at my heaviest in that time period. I got to the peak weight on a recent Saturday watching the Masters golf tournament on TV eating constantly stuffing my face with M&M's, chips, diet coke, Hostess cupcakes, and pop tarts. I felt disgusting.
    So that next Wednesday at work we have an annual personal health screening that I have avoided going for the past 3 years because I knew what the results would be and was afraid, but for some reason I went this year. My BMI was 34, my glucose was elevated, my BP was high, etc. So I go home depressed and look in the mirror from a profile view and saw the gut hanging over my belt and I said to myself "I am going to drop dead and it is going to be your own friggin' fault!"
    That was it. Do something or have a cardiac arrest. I am keeping the written results of my 2011 screening at my office desk as a reminder. I am hoping MFP is everything everyone says it is because I am only on week 3 and I have a LONG way to go.