Dry Skin Question

Options
with my eating habits turning toward "real" food these days, I was wondering about my skin. It has gotten really dry over the years. I don't lie in the sun and I usually have worn sunscreen. I know the water I am consuming now will help some but does anyone have experience with dry skin and have you been able to reverse it with water or other foods that are good for our skin?

Thanks much, denise:) I will do some research online as well when I have the chance, google dryskin remedies but I really only believe in the "inside" out types of remedies. Lotions are just a quick fix and don't ever last, for me anyway:(

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    with my eating habits turning toward "real" food these days, I was wondering about my skin. It has gotten really dry over the years. I don't lie in the sun and I usually have worn sunscreen. I know the water I am consuming now will help some but does anyone have experience with dry skin and have you been able to reverse it with water or other foods that are good for our skin?

Thanks much, denise:) I will do some research online as well when I have the chance, google dryskin remedies but I really only believe in the "inside" out types of remedies. Lotions are just a quick fix and don't ever last, for me anyway:(
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    supplements! look for a multivitamin or variations of vitamins to make sure you're getting enough omega 3 fats, vitamin a,c,& e, and BIOTIN! Biotin is excellent for the heath and reproduction of cells in your hair, skin, and nails. I actually take a supplement called "hair skin and nails" that contains all of these! :happy: even in cold dry winter months my skin is not nearly as dry and I often don't need to apply an after-shower lotion.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    My nutrition professor said that some people actually dry out the more water they consume.
    I'd be one of those people.
    It's an interesting phenomina.

:flowerforyou:
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Lotions aren't always just a quick fix... not ones with sunscreen in them especially... I have very dry skin and I just target my especially dry areas with Aveno... I LOVE it... Lasts all day...

As a registered nurse we advise people to always drink more water... no matter what your ailment is (unless you have kidney problems ofcourse)--and I can see a difference in my skin when I am not drinking enough water...
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Omega 3 & 6 (with a 3:1 ratio) is what our Naturopathic Doctor prescribed for everyone is my family, as we suffer from eczema.

Moisture loss does occur from the inside out, and using a moisturizer actually draws up the moisture from your epidermis, and then seals it in (the emollient and humectant effects). Moisturize at least 2x daily, with a an emollient/humectant product (not a lotion, as the water content is too high, and actually increases evaporation of moisture from the skin). I work in this industry - PM me for more information if you like. Btw... drinking extra water only works to hydrate the skin if you are de-hydrated, once you've hit your internal saturation, there will be not additional "moisture" benefits to the skin.

Good luck!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Despite drinking tons of water, my skin hasn't improved that I can see. And as well, they say that quitting smoking and eating healthy will make your nails grow? NOT! Still as brittle as ever.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thank you much!!!!!!! I have a multi and I will check out what all it has. I noticed my nails are looking way better as I was getting a lot of ridges in them and thought, oh well, just age I guess, but they are much nicer. Thank you again and I will look into all these supplements, maybe get the all in one!! denise in OR:)

supplements! look for a multivitamin or variations of vitamins to make sure you're getting enough omega 3 fats, vitamin a,c,& e, and BIOTIN! Biotin is excellent for the heath and reproduction of cells in your hair, skin, and nails. I actually take a supplement called "hair skin and nails" that contains all of these! :happy: even in cold dry winter months my skin is not nearly as dry and I often don't need to apply an after-shower lotion.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Maybe those supplements that were mentioned to me will work for you as well:) I sure don't like that ole flakey skin, wanna be rid of it;)
    My nutrition professor said that some people actually dry out the more water they consume.
    I'd be one of those people.
    It's an interesting phenomina.

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    Aveeno worked better than anything I have ever found. I think I may still have some too!! Thank you:) And yes, I'll continue with the water as well:) Thank you much!!! denise
    Lotions aren't always just a quick fix... not ones with sunscreen in them especially... I have very dry skin and I just target my especially dry areas with Aveno... I LOVE it... Lasts all day...

As a registered nurse we advise people to always drink more water... no matter what your ailment is (unless you have kidney problems ofcourse)--and I can see a difference in my skin when I am not drinking enough water...
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    thank you much but the lotions I have will have to do for now as I cannot buy anything. Not even gas for my truck. Things will get better and at that point I might be able to invest in something. I'll let you know and thank you again:) denise
    Omega 3 & 6 (with a 3:1 ratio) is what our Naturopathic Doctor prescribed for everyone is my family, as we suffer from eczema.

Moisture loss does occur from the inside out, and using a moisturizer actually draws up the moisture from your epidermis, and then seals it in (the emollient and humectant effects). Moisturize at least 2x daily, with a an emollient/humectant product (not a lotion, as the water content is too high, and actually increases evaporation of moisture from the skin). I work in this industry - PM me for more information if you like. Btw... drinking extra water only works to hydrate the skin if you are de-hydrated, once you've hit your internal saturation, there will be not additional "moisture" benefits to the skin.

Good luck!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    could be a lack of nutrients like the gals above said. Im gonna research it. It just seems logical to me that whatever builds strong nails for example, can probably be put back into the body.
    Despite drinking tons of water, my skin hasn't improved that I can see. And as well, they say that quitting smoking and eating healthy will make your nails grow? NOT! Still as brittle as ever.
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    Eat tuna, eggs, and pinnapples. Also, at night time use baby oil to lock in mosture, and try to use it right when you get out of the bath for best results. During the day use a regular lotion, and on your most dry parts (like your elbows or ankles) use vaseline.