Feel like a fraud?

Options
I don't know why it is but often I feel like a fraud. Like I haven't really lost 70 pounds....
It doesn't make sense really. I've dropped 5 pants sizes...but I keep thinking maybe the clothes are just different, maybe it is the way they are made, maybe they were never really tight to begin with.....
I'm justifying why I couldn't have lost weight....
When people say, "Wow, have you lost weight?" I smile, say yes, tell them how much, and still struggle with believing it. I breathe easier, move easier and feel better. My cholesterol, which was already good, is down. Everything logical verified what my eyes/emotions refuse to believe.
Does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    You should first of all be very proud of yourself. Making this kind of change is never easy as most of us can relate to on MFP. I hope it doesn't take long for your brain to adjust to the new you. Take care of you.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've felt this way too! You're not alone!
  • SophieLouise95
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. In my first week, I dropped 9lbs of water weight. I didn't believe that I had even weighed that amount in the beginning, but I had, as after I saw the drop, I gave up, and within a week, I was back to 155 lbs. Just keep it up, youre doing great!:flowerforyou:
  • kelscot30
    kelscot30 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had that feeling just this week! Even though I was sooo disciplined last week and saw over 4lbs of a loss, I still didn't believe it. I'm actually scared as I can't help thinking it will go back on next week etc, horrible! x
  • Jenniferhargrave
    Options
    I feel the same way. My husband tells me all the time that I look great. I can feel it in my jeans I have gone from an 18 to a 10.
    But I think to myself, "they are making the sizes bigger" I feel great when I get down to a new size but then the questions come back. Just keep doing what you are doing and there will be one person that will tell you how good you look and it will finally click.:happy:
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you!! I feel like this all of the time. I also feel like I didn't really burn as many calories as I did or that I probably counted calories wrong and really ate many more than I thought. Ugh... Why is this??
  • dhiggins8
    dhiggins8 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i am reight there with you I am coming up on 50 lbs lost and i still don't beleive it my weight was carried in my belly and when I look down it is gone that everyone else sees but when I loook down I still think I see it. I don't understand it. everyone else see it gone why can't I see it?:noway:
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I, too, feel like there must be something wrong with the clothes that I can fit into the smaller single digit sizes I'm wearing. Or I figure they are making the small sized clothes bigger to compensate for the larger sized population in our country. And sometimes, I still look at my closet and try to figure out which pants will pinch the least, when in reality, I don't have ANY pants that pinch and most of them are way too big and my husband has had to add holes to my belt to compensate. It's hard to believe, isn't it!?! But it's real--so be proud!!
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, it's nice ot know it isn't just me :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like a fraud, but I feel like other people think I am lying when I tell them how much weight I've lost and that I did it the old-fashioned way (diet and exercise). It's amazing how many people think it isn't possible to lose a significant amount of weight without surgery and/or pills.
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've done fantastic with your weight loss, so first congratulations on that.

I'm way behind you, I've lost 9lbs, but I can understand what you are saying....and I bet I'll be the same way when I get to your weight loss numbers. Right now, I keep thinking my scale is broken. Since I can't physically noticed my weight loss I keep thinking its my scale that broken and that I haven't really lost anything.

I find the supportive words here to be very helpful and encouraging.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Or I figure they are making the small sized clothes bigger to compensate for the larger sized population in our country.

I've thought this, too. Sometimes I also think that stores put "skinny mirrors" in their dressing rooms to make us feel better about ourselves, but I look exactly the same in my mirrors at home. It is hard to accept at times.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just keep following the MFP plan. You are doing great.I myself got where I wanted to be and now my mom is following the plan too and she is doing great. She is diabetic and her blood sugar now is staying at the normal levels and I'm so happy about it. So I congratulate you for the awesome job that you are doing so far........

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    Feeling like a fraud for me is really about the hard time I have with dealing with reality regarding my weight in general. Today I weigh 34 pounds more than I did when I was pregnant with my last child 26 years ago! I need to lose 58 pounds to be at healthy weight. When I looked my weight up on the BMI chart, it said I'm now morbidly obese. I've had a hard time believing I'm that overweight for several years...so I bet when I lose the pounds I'll have just as hard of a time believing I've lost so many pounds. The best thing for me to do is to keep a before and after picture in my wallet, on the fridge and by my bathroom sink so that I begin to accept reality better.
    Congratulations on your weight loss. It's real! You deserve to enjoy it! :flowerforyou:
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    i am reight there with you I am coming up on 50 lbs lost and i still don't beleive it my weight was carried in my belly and when I look down it is gone that everyone else sees but when I loook down I still think I see it. I don't understand it. everyone else see it gone why can't I see it?:noway:
    There's a disorder called "body dismorphic disorder". It's a real disorder and I've had counseling about it. It's very real and when you've got it, you actually don't know what size you are. Looking in the mirror does no good, you just see, what you want to see. A lot of anorexic's have this. I have it too. I've had gastric bypass surgery and it took YEARS, yes years for me to know how small I had gotten. I've recently had a 25 lb regain over my goal weight of 165 and it has reared it's ugly head again. Believe me, it's no fun. It sucks not to know how you look. My advise, take a lot of pictures of yourself. Get your wife to take photo's of you by objects that you do know what size they are. Your buddies, your car, your front door etc. It helps.
  • Trotty2004
    Trotty2004 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny how our minds play tricks on us?! I do know exactly how you feel but I've only lost 30lbs. My husband keeps telling me that I am not as big as I think I am. He keeps "flirting" with me and telling me he likes what he sees and I keep thinking he's just being nice. And my friends and co-workers comments are just words of encouragement. My clothes must have stretched and thats why they don't fit anymore. Maybe it will sink in eventually?