Oatmeal Ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• plharwood
    Options
    1/2 cup oats, 1 cup skim milk, 2 packets Equal and 1T Hershey's Special Dark cocoa! Add a small banana if I have one at my preferred stage of ripeness.
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I found on here for an overnight oatmeal that you can cook in the slow cooker. I haven't tried it yet but that's only because I have just now found steel cut oats in my area. I think I'll try it this week.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/159606-overnight-oatmeal?hl=overnight+oatmeal
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just tried savory oatmeal this week and it was yummy! 1T of soy sauce and some Sriracha hot sauce...cheese if you like...sautee some veggies like onions, mushrooms, peppers and stir them in. Top with a poached or fried egg. I know it sounds weird, but don't knock it till you tried it;)

I also like it with a bit of splenda and topped with a tablespoon of coffeemate flavored creamer.

hmm, i saw this recipe before but was hesitant to try it but i think i will give it a try today or tomorrow. :bigsmile:
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    pumpkin or apple butter (depending on what I have at the time), cinnamon, frozen strawberries. SO good.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Hungry Girl recipes for oatmeal there's a ton of them. I had the Choco-Monket recipe and it's great. So good that my 6 yr old wants it for breakfast all the time! There's about 185 calories in it and 5 grams of fiber! She makes it with low cal hot chocolate mix, half a banana and a splenda packet. I normally leave that out because it's already wicked sweet without it!
  • hatladysandy
    Options
    Hi!
    I always add toasted walnuts.
  • robyn12770
    robyn12770 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    apple pie yogurt with apples & cinnamon oatmeal...just mix both together, put in frige until oatmeal is soft. Tastes like dessert.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I wish that I could eat oatmeal, but it is a texture thing that I just can't get over. I have tried, no matter what, I can't seem to force it down.
  • rkquade
    rkquade Posts: 17
    Options
    Cookie Dough Portage
    1/2 cup Rolled Oats (150 calories, 5 grams protein)
    1 Scoop Protein Powder (I use Syntha 6 Chocolate Milshake) (200 calories, 22 grams of protein)- any flavor you like.
    1 Tbsp Smuckers Natural Chunky PB (Optional) (100 calories, 4 grams protein)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup Liquid Egg Whites (1/4 cup 30 calories, 6 grams protein)
    1 Tbsp Water

Cook rolled oats with 1 Tbsp water for 1 minute (oats will still be firm) in microwave. Mix in protein powder, peanut butter and egg whites. Eat warm or cool for a no bake cookie taste.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I wish that I could eat oatmeal, but it is a texture thing that I just can't get over. I have tried, no matter what, I can't seem to force it down.

cook some up and add a bit to a protein smoothie to make the smoothie thicker but you don't taste the oatmeal and you get the health benefits of the oatmeal
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Hungry Girl recipes for oatmeal there's a ton of them. I had the Choco-Monket recipe and it's great. So good that my 6 yr old wants it for breakfast all the time! There's about 185 calories in it and 5 grams of fiber! She makes it with low cal hot chocolate mix, half a banana and a splenda packet. I normally leave that out because it's already wicked sweet without it!

Sounds really tasty, but my problem with HG is this: I feel she stresses a lot of artificial foods and sweeteners. I try to eat as "chemical free" (for lack of a better term lol) as possible. That's not saying I don't use the occasional tbsp on sugar free maple syrup, but I feel like her a lot of her recipes are based on fat free, sugar free, splenda, etc. If I were to make this oatmeal, I think I'd use real chocolate chips and a tsp of honey or brown sugar :-)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal at least 5 times a week. I put 1 cup water, 1/2 cup oats, cinnamon and a little vanilla in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. After it is cooked I add 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce, 1 tsp of Steevia, 1 TB of sliced almonds and 1/4 cup non fat milk. Delicious and healthy!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I usually add in some fresh fruit and some honey. I've done nut butters before as well and that is pretty good too!
  • chubbyspice
    chubbyspice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make my own applesauce, I like it with extra cinnamon... I love oat bran 1/3 cup to 1 cup water, cinnamon, and steevia, microwave for 2 minutes. I add about a 1/4 cup of my applesause to it and some almond milk... yumm!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    bump