Zucchini & Squash

Options
No one in my family really likes either of them but while my husband was home recouperating from surgery he decided to plant a veggie garden. For no reason I can think of he planted BOTH of them. Now it looks like we're going to have bushels of the stuff. I can only give away so much. Any recipes for either? The kids wont eat it sauteed, and I'm not a big fan of it either. Fried is out of the question

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE grilled zucchini and squash. Slice it up, put a little olive oil and seasoning (I use Morton's Natures Seasons) and throw it on the grill. Sometimes I sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on it when it's done. Even my husband, who hates veggies, likes it.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You can bake zucchini and butternut squash into fries!
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ive seen zucchini used instead of pasta in lasagna...it was so delicious! theres also spaghetti squash.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for zucchini sliders on my blog.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Steamed is delicious!
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    grate it up and use it in meatloaf, bake zucchini bread, or grilled is yummy as previously suggested.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Squash is lovely in curries, leave the chunks quite large as it breaks down around the edges.

Courgette - slice very thinly lengthwise, steam and decorate with your favourite pasta sauce, instead of the pasta. Walnut and Parmesan would be nice.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Oh man! Everything!!

One of my favorites is reduced fat zucchini pie. (Adapted from my grandmother's full fat version that was soooooo yum... and could clog yoru arteries instantly).

You will need

4-5 medium zucchinis, sliced or diced
    1 small yellow onion
    3-4 cloves of garlic, minced (unless you're a big garlic lover like me... I add 6-7 hahahaha)
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1/4 C dry white wine
    Italian Seasoning (or fresh basil, torn into bits and a very small amount of chopped fresh oregano... it's so powerful)
    Fresh Italian Parsley (chopped)
    1 can reduced fat crescent rolls
    2.5 cups reduced fat mozzerella or mozzerella/provolone mix
    2 eggs (room temperature is best to prevent scrambling)
    Salt and Pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375. Add the olive oil to the a hot pan over med heat. Add in the onions and cook for just a few moments. Add the zucchini. Season with salt, pepper and dry Italian seasoning (save the fresh herbs for the end of cooking) Cook for 5 more minutes or until it just becomes tender. Add the garlic. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat a little and cover. Cook together until zucchini is soft to taste (I usually do mine for 4-5 mins more, depending on how thick your zucchini is cut).
    2. While zucchini is cooking, unroll the crescent roll dough and press into a pie pan, completely covering all sides and the bottom of your pan. Remove zucchini mixture from heat. Mix in the cheese, reserving some to sprinkle on top. Then add the eggs. Mix well and turn into your prepared crust. Top with fresh parsley and a little salt and pepper. Sprinkle your reserved cheese on top and bake for 10 mins or until set.

I hope you like it! It's so flavorful and it feels so much richer than it really is, calorie and fat-wise. I try not to eat cheese, so any cheesy dish is a treat for me.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    4-5 medium zucchinis, sliced or diced

Actually, probably 3 or 4 would probably do it. I tend to overload my zucchini pies with zucchini.
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    put it in egg wash (egg beaters), roll in bread crumbs, spray with olive oil pam and bake
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Mmmm love zuchinni (courgette)

Use a potato slicer to make thin ribbons. Sear them on a hot ridged griddle so that they get attractive zebra stripes across them. Toss in a lemony dressing, with lots of black pepper.

OR

Grate the courgette. Add to some pasta while its cooking, about 2 minutes before it's done. (Small pasta works best) Stir some prawns and chopped chilli through, serve with parmesan shavings.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    thanks everyone for the ideas. going to try the grilled with a sprinkle of parmesan. I think thats the most "kid friendly" one.
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My favorite restaurant makes a veggie enchilada with all kinds of squash and then onion. I have tried this at home in burrito, taco and enchiladas. I just saute them in taco seasoning, and then use the squash instead of meat in my tacos, burritos and enchiladas. With the right sauce on top it is amazing!
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Gosh I can't wait for my local farmer to start selling them in front of his house again this summer. Super cheap and fresh!

Wish you lived next door!!!

I eat them everyday in summer, and truthfully all year round. Grilled is a fave, in soup is a must, stir fried, in Spaghetti sauce... so good.:bigsmile:
  • ccsmiller
    ccsmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Grate them up and sneak them into things like meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, taco filling, chili etc.
    Add them raw to salads.
    Veggie soup.
    They are awesome grilled.