This is embarrasing but i have to ask...

Options
Since changing your food choices has anyone had problems with "bowel movements?"

I feel like i am constantly going to the bathroom like 3+ times a day and i've also noticed i am extremely gassy as well. I don't know if this could be a fiber issue since i am almost always over on fiber. It's bad enough i am peeing constantly due to increased water intake but i didn't expect to be going as much as i am in that area as well. Anyone going through this?

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Fiber can be the cause of the BM and gas. Try reducing it some if you are consistantly going over.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Could be veggies, try chewable gas x and maybe look at your portein and see if you are eating enough!
  • crystal10584
    Options
    i'm the opposite... i'm having issues going :(

i get a little more than the recommended fiber and protein too.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Definitely sounds like fiber, and is very common for these kinds of changes.
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    increased fiber does keep the pipes moving! :embarassed:
  • wambuhl
    wambuhl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fiber does that to me too. I heard to increase your water intake - but then you pee more!!
  • pretzels113
    pretzels113 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As you increase your fiber make sure you are increasing your water, it helps a ton! Also, as you change your eating habits your bathroom habits will change... once your body gets used to the food program you will get back to normal but yes i went through a similar thing!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    WHen I started eating better I had the hardest time going. It was awful. But now my body has adjusted and I am semi-regular.
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    doesn't really happen too much for me but my boyfriend definitely has the same thing! i'm pretty sure it is a common thing :)
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i'm the opposite... i'm having issues going :(

Same for me.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I did. for the first few weeks as my body adjusted.

Some of the symptoms start to level off though, with exception of the farting, that actually goes up 10X. (just kidding).
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I was gassy for about a month when I first started, but it got better and I started drinking a lot more water thoughout the day which also helped.
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    I had that problem at first too. I was eating Fiber One bars and then I realized that since I had changed my eating habits to more fruits and veggies and whole grains, I didn't need anything extra so I stopped eating Fiber One bars and now I'm fine.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    the average person is supposed to have a BM 2-3 times a day. If it is solid, you're probobly fine. If it's runny, something needs to be checked out. Smell is probobly from veggie intake/fiber. Some veggies (like broccolli) cause more gas than others. Just see which veggies you are taking in and modify based on which cause more gas vs. others.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I consider that a good thing, and I think eventually your body will get used to it. You can use the Phazyme for gas, but you could have years of poop buildup coming out, ya know. so welcome it while you can :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I took a peak at your food diary and see that you eat a Fiber One bar some days. Try cutting those out and see if that helps. I used to be a big fan of Fiber One products for the increased fiber (big plus on the old WW plan) but they messed with my system so I decided to try just getting fiber from more natural sources like fruits and veg and that helped a lot.

Edited to add: by the way, having a BM two or three times a day is not a bad thing at least from what I've read
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    common problem your body will adjust to it. If causing a issue taper back some if just gas then see if pill will help.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going to talk about the more common issue I see on the forums, which is constipation! So consider yourself lucky!

This may settle down somewhat for you over the next few weeks, as your body gets more used to the new routine.

Possible causes of the gassiness:

-Could be the fiber, yes.

-Carbonated beverages. Those bubbles come out one end or the other! Sometimes both!

-Is it possibe that you have a mild lactose intolerance? If you've raised your intake of dairy substantially, you may be noticing that you have a mild intolerance but never used to eat enough to have it bother you previously.

Possible causes of going more often:

-All of the above

-Increased physical activity. Yes, exercise makes you go! (one of the reasons that people who are extremely inactive or on bedrest often get constipated--they don't have the stimulation of regular exercise.)

-Eating more frequently. Anything that starts those contractions of digestion also makes you go!

-Increased caffeine intake.

-Certain artificial sweeteners, especially sugar alcohols like sorbitol, etc.
  • clintwperkins
    Options
    same problem here...went to the doctor and yes it is a fiber overload...he said as your body gets used to the more fiber it will adjust...I am starting to adjust, it is getting better...you will snap out of it eventually
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I did. for the first few weeks as my body adjusted.

Some of the symptoms start to level off though, with exception of the farting, that actually goes up 10X. (just kidding).

My poor husband!! lol