what do you think?

Replies

• mrsgriff52408
    Options
    only 1000? they're right!
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I agree....that is not enough for for your basic nutritional needs.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Your friends were right.
  • philiphirons
    philiphirons Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I set myself a minimum of 1500, so possibly unhealthy in the fact your not eating enough?
  • Caylamarie20
    Options
    yeah 1000 a day... and I haven't been hungry either.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Dont know what height you are, which has a certain relevance, but no, it would be extremely hard to meet all your nutritional requirements on such a low calorific intake.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Definitely unhealthy! A good rule of thumb for ladies is 1200, guys 1400 minimum. Less than that and your body stores what you eat.
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The usual recommendation is not to go below 1200 calories per day. 1000 a day sounds low, especially if you are exercising at all.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It is unhealthy! You need a minimum of 1200, then to eat your exercise calories.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Your friend is right. You need to NET at least 1200 calories. Meaning if you sit around all day and do nothing, you need to eat at least 1200, if you exercise and burn some of those off, you have to eat all of those exercise calories back, so you get back to the 1200 mark.

If you do not do this, your metabolism will slow WAY down, it will be hard to lose weight, you will gain weight when you "treat" yourself to something unhealthy, and overall you will feel tired and run down.

So, your friend is right.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I agree with your friends
  • rach311
    rach311 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode and you'll not burn as many calories because your body will start storing nutrients as though you were "starving" to death. It's counterproductive.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Are you very petite? Short, small framed?

Really does not sound healthy if you are average height, frame. And, if you are not hungry that just means your body is use to not getting enough and has conditioned itself.

Personally, even after having gastric bypass....I would be famished on 1000 calories or less a day. Heck 1200 is not enough for me. I eat at my BMR now...nearly 1500 a day and am losing the baby-weight much better than when I cut my cals way back.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I say they are absolutely correct! 1000 is too low.
  • starrlite77
    Options
    Oddly enough it can actually make you gain weight or maintain. You will trick the body to think its starving so it will hold on to the fat.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what these people say, there's nothing wrong with it, but you probably should go under that without doctor supervision and only if you're obese.

Vitamins and supplements are your friends.
  • Caylamarie20
    Options
    i weigh 160 at 18.
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    This is the best advice that I have seen so far when it comes to choosing your ideal daily calorie range (he also talks about when/whether you should eat your exercise calories back):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I had a body composition analysis done in the Bod Pod a few weeks ago, and part of that was a calculation of my RMR (resting metabolic rate). Admittedly, it's an estimate based on a formula after the analysis, but still.......
    Mine was calculated at 1,216 kcal/day. I'm 53 years old, 5'2" and weight about 134 pounds. So...that means that my body needs a minimum of 1,216 calories a day just to breathe and walk up right.
    1000 calories a day for me would mean that I'm not even meeting those basic needs. It was an eye opener for me.
  • sadiemay2011
    Options
    Also when you think about the calories you eat you also have to factor the calories you burn and eat accordingly.