Eating less than 1200 calories a day - Suggestions

Options
My Dr told me to eat 900 calories a day (max) in order to lose weight. Everything I have read tells me that my body would go into starvation mode, therefore preventing me from losing weight. Any suggestions? I am 5'3 160lbs - goal to get down to 120/125. I am eating no more than 1200 a day currently and have lost 7lbs so far in 1.5 weeks.

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    That sounds crazy. You should be eating at least 1200 calories a day!!! Keep doing what you are doing!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine a doctor telling someone to eat less than 900 calories?????

Ummm, eat lots of extra lean protein and veggies!!!! nothing else---take lots of vitamins cuz you're gonna need them.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes it will. Unfortunately, medical school doesn't focus on nutrition. You might lose weight doing it his way but it will affect your health in the long run and you will lose more muscle mass than fat mass (the body tried to protect our fat reserves especially as they get to healthier levels).

A registered dietitian or nutritionist is better for discussing diet and nutrition. You have lost mostly water weight at this point. The loss will slow.

I love this site:

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html (he seems to be pointing fingers at "no-carbers". This info applies to all).

Working With Your Body - The Basic Strategy
    By John P. Hussman, Ph.D.
    All rights reserved and actively enforced.

The goal of this site is to help you to transform your physique by walking you step-by-step through everything you need to know about exercise physiology and nutrition. I know that a lot of you have “tried everything,” and because there are so many approaches that have failed you, there's a real risk that you'll quit again and again if you don't see results immediately, or if you don't fully understand why your fitness program should work. Worse, there may be some missing pieces in your program, which could lead to slow progress even though you're hard at work. My hope is that this information will help you to stay on track - to turn effort into results - and to reach your goal.

Want to change your physique? Start by realizing that whatever shape you're in right now is your body's way of adapting to the lifestyle you're living. It's your body's attempt to survive. So the strategy is simple. We're going to give your body a very specific “environment” – a particular mix of activities, nutrition, and recovery – and your body is going to adapt by becoming leaner, stronger, and healthier.

Every change you throw at your body triggers a response. The problem with many diet and exercise programs is that they can accidentally encourage your body to defend fat, shed muscle, increase appetite and even lower its metabolism. The key to fast results is to know exactly which actions will cause your body to adapt by becoming fitter.

Maybe you've tried before to get in shape. But for some reason, you didn't get the results you wanted. If you're like I used to be, you've repeated that cycle year after year to no avail. Maybe you've failed so many times that you think of yourself as a “special case.” You've started to believe your entire metabolism consists of a little turtle on a treadmill. You wonder whether you've got the fat gene. You're convinced that no matter how hard you diet, your cells can still be seen eating Twinkies when viewed under a microscope.

Look. You're not a special case. Even if you had the fat gene (common among Pima Indians but rare otherwise), you'd only be burning 50-60 calories a day less than anybody else. Even if you've been diagnosed with a metabolic difficulty such as diabetes or hypothyroidism, you can still be successful with proper medical support. Most probably, other approaches failed you either because they were missing important pieces, focused on the wrong things, or produced results so slowly that you just gave up. What you need most is good information. You're in the right place.

The law of unintended consequences
    Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream.

This website will show you how to work with your body to quickly produce the changes you want. In order to do that, you need to take actions that push your body to adapt – to build strength, burn fat, and increase fitness. You need a training program, not an exercise routine. You need a nutrition plan, not a diet. You need a challenge, not a few good habits you usually try to follow except when you don't.

Setting the right goal
    John Dewey once said that a problem well-stated is half-solved. If you want to reach your goal, you have to define it correctly. See, a lot of people say “I want to lose weight.” Well, if losing weight is your goal, go on a no-carb diet. You'll lose a lot of weight – some of it will be fat, a lot of it will be water, and a dangerous amount will be muscle tissue. You'll lose weight quickly, but you'll slow your metabolism and gain fat more quickly once you go off the diet. Trust me on this. I've been there, done that.

The problem is that you've set the wrong goal. If you want to look better, have more energy and enjoy better health, the goal is not simply to “lose weight.” The goal is to improve your fitness level and body composition. That means losing fat, improving your aerobic capacity, training your strength and defending your muscle tissue. You can't do that with a no-carb diet. You will do it using the approach you'll learn on this website. Trust me on this one too. I know what it's like to feel fat, tired and helplessly out of shape. The whole point of this site is to help others avoid that, by sharing lessons that I had to learn the hard way.
    Ready to change?

Right this minute, your body is the way it is because it has adapted to the lifestyle you've thrown at it, in an attempt to survive. Ever seen the directory at the mall with the little red arrow that says “you are here”? Well, fitness is the same way. You are here. You can't start anywhere else. So be kind to yourself. Don't beat yourself up. Don't worry about how much there is to do. Change your self-talk from “My body is my enemy” to “My body is my partner.” Accept where you are right now as the starting point, and start moving.

Changing your body requires more than just “going on a diet” for a few weeks. If you want to change your body, you have to make some changes to your lifestyle (which requires some discipline, but isn't as hard as it sounds). If you create the right environment, your body will adapt to it by becoming leaner, stronger, and more energetic. You can do this.

Don't go below your BMR (the number you get from the calculator under Tools). This is the number your body requires just for systems and organs to function. And eat most if not all of exercise calories (keep your NET at or above 1200).

If and when you hit a plateau you will need to drop your weight loss goal down and this will up your calories. You don't want to drop below 1200.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and weighed 160 pounds on January 1st. I have followed MFP guidelines for one pound a week loss including eating back most of my exercise calories. I have lost 28 pounds and plan on losing about 5 or so more. I think I would have been miserable trying to do this on 900 calories and not stayed with it. Did you ask why so low?
  • jscimeca
    jscimeca Posts: 66
    Options
    I want to say that eating only 900 calories a day is unhealthy. I'm confused as to why your Dr would recommend that. If you did it, you will probably lose weight, at first. Then when you eat regularly, you run the risk of gaining all the weight back.
  • rotneys5
    rotneys5 Posts: 3
    Options
    your doing great. My dietitian says the weight will come off slowly, Eat non starch vegetables and fiber, I am 55, 5'2 and am at 171, lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks. Keeps up the great job, your on your way. I was recommended no less than 1200 cal diet, so you don't burn muscle and don't gain it back. 900 doesn't sound healthy. Use the program to choose your level.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you're seeing success with your current habits, stay with them. 900 calories is very, very low. If you can lose weight at 1200, do it.
  • cbaines74
    cbaines74 Posts: 77
    Options
    Stay at the 1200 a day, some days if you go under 1200 that is ok, but don't try to go over or under too much.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    900?! :noway:
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    to maintain your weight, multiply your current weight by 10
    then to lose weight, subtract 500 from it and that would need to be your calorie intake for a 1 pound weightloss per week

i wouldn't go down to 900 calories a day because it seems that would be setting myself up for failure...i would feel hungry all the time and feel deprived.
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    Ignore that doctor. Eat 1,200 a day. You're doing great already!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    To be honest Starvation mode is different for everyone - and if your doctor tells you 900 then most likely that is above the starvation mode for YOU as a person. (I've heard the average starvation mode kicks in 800cal or below).

It's really up to you! If you feel that your body is doing fine at 1200 - keep it up. And if you hit a plateau in the future maybe you'll end up trying 900 like the Dr. said :) Who knows!

Best of luck and grats on the weight loss so far!
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" also. My goal weight is 125. I have been doing 1200 calories give or take and have been losing at 1.5 pounds per week also. So I think 900 is way to low. I am diabetic and my dietitcian told me not to go under 1000 or above 1200.
  • brooke_g0501
    brooke_g0501 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If I'm right about this, I think that the less you weigh, the less your calories should be in order to lose weight. Now, I only weighed 116lbs when I started MFP, and it suggested that I eat 1200 cal a day. I've been sticking to the 1200 cals a day and have lost about 7 lbs! My BF is 6'2 and weighed 330lbs. His calories were lowered to about 2800 and he has lost 30lbs already! I think if you stick to 1200 daily, you will find that you will lose the weight!
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    A lot of it truly does depend on the person's individual metabolism. Not all sizes fit everyone. 1200 is a good rule for the majority of people, but for some that is too much. Personally, I don't lose on 1200 (even when it is the *right* 1200). I have to eat under 1,000 net to see any progress.

In actuality, many "doctor supervised" liquid diet programs are drastically less than 1200 a day....
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Is the dr going to monitor your blood work often to make sure that you aren't doing any damage while you do that? Do you have health concerns to merit a drastic calorie change like that? I can't imagine what it could be at weighing only 160 lbs. I think maybe you should get a second opinion. I have done what he is asking of you but it was medically supervised. I had to take a bunch of supplements and have blood testing every other week to make sure I wasn't doing any damage. I was also about 240lbs at the time had high blood pressure and was pre-diabetic. Even with that I wouldn't recommend it. I gained all the weight back and quick as soon as I started eating an average diet.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me to eat 900 calories a day (max) in order to lose weight. Everything I have read tells me that my body would go into starvation mode, therefore preventing me from losing weight. Any suggestions? I am 5'3 160lbs - goal to get down to 120/125. I am eating no more than 1200 a day currently and have lost 7lbs so far in 1.5 weeks.
    You are taller than me, lighter than me, and eating FAR less than me.....I am still losing weight, and so are you, but only one of us is doing it healthfully and will see permanent results. I think you can do that math. :)

The fact that you asked the question in the first place tells me you have a gut feeling.

You asked: "any suiggestions?" I say: get a new doctor.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The URL, AKA The Caloric Intake Bible:
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

States that you should probably eat m220033176.jpg
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    A lot of it truly does depend on the person's individual metabolism. Not all sizes fit everyone. 1200 is a good rule for the majority of people, but for some that is too much. Personally, I don't lose on 1200 (even when it is the *right* 1200). I have to eat under 1,000 net to see any progress.

In actuality, many "doctor supervised" liquid diet programs are drastically less than 1200 a day....

You are losing weight but you are losing more muscle mass than fat mass. All this will do is slow your metabolism more. And you can't survive on less than 1200. It will start affecting your health, your systems and your organs.
  • ltkl7
    ltkl7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say that 900 calories a day is very unhealthy. My wife is getting ready to undergo lap-band surgery and she has to cut back to 800 calories a day for the 2 weeks before the surgery. This is only because it is necessary to do before the surgery.