need healthy flavorful mashed potatoes

Options
2»

Replies

• BethFox
    BethFox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We like mashed sweet potatoes (more vitamins!). I mash with some of the reserved cooking liquid (or chicken broth), salt and garlic to taste. Sooooooo gooooooood. And pretty on the plate (all that color!) too.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I came up with a really good one tonight, almost by accident!

Baby potatoes, boiled in their skins. A few minutes before done, add a good handful of frozen peas. Drain, and roughly crush together adding garlic salt and black pepper to taste.
  • Lutiebelle
    Lutiebelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • FatDoctor
    FatDoctor Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try to reduce butter, and to sprinkle the mash with grated parmesan.
    The another option more exotic one, more of an Asian style, will suit oriental food like salmon or crab is adding some wassabi paste to the mash, as the result you will get an attractive green mash with warming hot taste.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I would sub half of your potatoes for steamed cauliflower and mash it all up together with some skim milk. You can add some low fat cheese and fat free sour cream if you need to amp the flavor. Good spices for in mashed cauliflower/potatoes are some pepper, parsley, celery seed (if you have it).

That sounds delicious!
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Boil the potatoes in either chicken or veggie stock. Roast a few heads of garlic and mix together with a pinch of sea salt and any seasoning you like.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    You can do a mix of potatoes and cauliflower. Or add fat free sour cream, low fat cheese and tiny bit of butter. I made that for Easter and it was only 153 per serving.
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like to make plain mashed potatoes (with the skin) and mix it with oven baked butternut squash. Of course it's a different color but it is delicious! The squash makes it creamy and you don't need nearly as much milk/butter or salt.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Mash half potatoes, and half something else, butternut squash is good and colourful.

You could mash Cabbage and spring onions( scallions), through the potato. Colcannon style. Interesting and tasty.

Mustard and honey with potato is nice with sausages (easy on the honey).

On the whole experiment, with what you have in the veg rack and the spice rack.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Mashed sweet potatoes are delicious (and better for you than white potatoes!). We had a little bit of cinnamon to them and mmm! Yummy!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well, if you do decide to make mashed cauliflower this recipe rated well:

* 1 medium head cauliflower
    * 1 tablespoon low-fat cream cheese, softened
    * 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    * 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    * 1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
    * 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish
    * 3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions

Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.

Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.

In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.

Garnish with chives, and serve hot

Try roasting the garlic and adding a little fresh rosemary for a whole new taste.
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! HEALTHY AND FLAVOURFUL MASHES ARE MY FAVE! Sweet potato mash is always amazing and never needs butter or milk because its so runny and sweet in the first place! Carrot and swede mash is A-MAZING! always having that one! Butternut squash mash is awesome if you boil in shallow water with garlic and fennel. Adding onion powder to any type of mash is also a good one.

So basically same principle to them all, boil until a fork easily slides through. Drail and then leave the veg in a pot to cool. This allows time for the steam to come off them and more water to come out, making a richer flavour and in some cases, a nicer colour.

With sweet potato you may need to add one white potato to every 2x sweet potato because its so slushy.

My fella also loves it when I make bubble and squeak which is basically all of the veg leftover from a Sunday roast used to make a mash, then fried into a pattie shape. But sometimes I make it fresh because its so yum. Mash with chunky bits of broccoli, battered up brussel sprouts and broken carrots inside - YUM! Fry them into a pattie shape with frylight oil (1kcal a spray).

I'm getting hungry just typing this *drools*
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the great ideas.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Woah.. I don't think I could ever give up potatoes! I once roasted a head of garlic in the oven (wrap in tin foil and throw it there for awhile) and mixed that in. Fresh roasted garlic is amazing!

I try not to eat them but this is my fave way. You won't miss the butter at all...
  • litljoy2001
    Options
    I DONT USE REGULAR POTATO'S I USE A SWEET POTATOE AND CUT IT AN BOIL IT JUST LIKE A REGULAR ONE AND THEN WHEN IT IS READY TO BE MASHED I DONT USE ANY BUTTER AND VERY LITTLE FAT FREE MILK..THEN I MIX CINNAMON IN WITH AND SERVE IT IS SO GOOD AND VERY HEALTHY FOR YOU!!!
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options
    Haven't tried it on taters yet, but the Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt tastes very much like sour cream and is fat-free.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I usually add some chives, minced garlic, I can't believe it's not butter spray, and some dried parsley and it tastes really good.
  • kewlbuttons
    kewlbuttons Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    the mahed cauliflower is the best. cook it in fat free ckn stock or vegi stock. it taste just like potatoes
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I use fat free and 1/3 less fat cream cheese when I make mashed potatoes. Also garlic and minced onion. Butter buds or Molly McButter instead of butter also.