HELP!! Eating at night and don't even know I'm doing it!

Options
for the last three nights, I woke up in the morning and found that I had been munching on rice cakes....A LOT of them... Problem is, I don't remember doing this!!!!! I do so well during the day and then screw it up at night... without even know I'm doing it! Help me out! I don't know what to do about this! I do take an ambien at night and maybe this is affecting me??? I actually know that it could be. so, what I need is an idea to make sure that it does not happen!
Thanks all! :sad:

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    It may sound drastic, but if you have to, put an alarm on the kitchen door, or on the fridge/cabinets, that will wake you up if you open them while sleepwalking.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Lock em up! Or, put a stool or something in the doorway, so if you're heading to the kitchen to snack, you will stub your toe and wake up. Could be painful though, lol...there's probably a better way ;-) Good luck!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Is there a possibility you're eating too little at daytime? Less than your brm value? If you crave food so much at night that you even go get it while asleep.. your body might seriously want a bit more.
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options
    It's definitely the Ambien... at least there are worse things you could be indulging in than rice cakes! :)

Maybe try putting a lock on the pantry/cabinet at night? Procsimity alarm?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be taking a drug that made me sleepwalk/forget/blackout or whatever you want to call it. Can you get a different dose or different drug?
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    This is not a minor problem and I'd really recommend you see a professional. Check out this link I found on sleep-eating disorders. It definitely sounds like ambien could be affecting you cause it causes a lot of people to sleep walk.
    Probably best to get this checked out because you might hurt yourself if you are up and about without being aware of what you are doing.

http://www.sleepassociation.org/index.php?p=sleepeating
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    i have a problem with "sleep eating" sometimes. i think it happens when i am stressed out and yes it also happens when i take ambien. it is very frustrating to wake up and realize i blew it at night after i worked so hard through the day. i am going to be watching to see if anyone has ideas on how to make it stop. i'm glad you posted because i thought surely i was the only person with this probem.
  • carliebrown
    Options
    I would think that it is the Ambien. Have you looked up the side effects? I belive I have read something about "sleep walking". I would put things up in different places. Maybe you will throw yourself off if you can't find them using rote memory. At least its rice cakes! Check out the link below... maybe this will help. :smile:

www.naturalnews.com/019413.html
  • getfitforlife
    getfitforlife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Actually, Ambien has a known side effect of sleepwalking. In fact this made the news some months ago when it was reported several people actually left their houses and drove a car while sleepwalking. I'd be careful with taking Ambien. You might want to consider something with less dangerous side effects, like Lunesta.

Here are some articles:

http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20189024,00.html
    http://www.youhavealawyer.com/side-effects/ambien-side-effects.html
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I say definately the ambian, my husband and son in law did the same thing!!!!! Hubby put milk back in cupboard instead of frig. If you have some one at home with you, have them watch out for you. He even woke me up bringing me stuff to eat! Absolutely no memory the next day. My son-in-law did sleep drive too. DANGEROUS STUFF, find something different to take.
  • talysshade
    Options
    *did a little google research* Apparently the chances of sleep eating happening with Ambien are really high. I'd try and get a replacement, different drug, but definitely stop that.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've heard many stories about people sleep walking while taking Lunesta and Ambien. I took Ambien a long time ago, but I didn't sleepwalk.. I did, however, twitch and talk while I slept when I took it.

Are you eating something before bed to make yourself feel full? I eat non-fat cottage cheese before bed because it is a) high in protein b) it's a slow digesting protein and c) doesn't have any carbs in it. Basically, it keeps me full so I don't eat ridiculous stuff in the middle of the night because I'm starving.
  • beccaschmitter
    Options
    thanks everyone! I will move my food tonight and look for a way to lock it up! yes, I know that it could be worse than rice cakes, but even those add up.... geesh! I'll keep watching for more ideas.... and I will talk to my doc about maybe trying something different. Anyone know about something natural that would work as well? I have had serious insomnia since i quit drinking (almost 4 years now:happy: ) we'll see what happens!
  • talysshade
    Options
    A natural substance used is valerian as a homeopathic substance.. or other tablets with melatonin, your body already makes it when it turns dark, but sometimes the production of it can be thrown off and tablets can help you sleep.
  • jackiemarie
    jackiemarie Posts: 111
    Options
    It's the ambien. tell your doctor they may be able to switch you to a different sleep aid. Ambien works for some people but all meds can affect people differently. There have been stories of people going for car rides and not remembering while on ambien. Now that's scary!!!!! I've seen work for patients Is Ativan. I dunno but def discuss with your prescribing md. Good luck :)