A little history and my six week success!

Options
What's my story? Pull up a chair....

I've always been fat. Well, except for those few years in high school when I had a growth spurt and finally "grew into my body". Those were good times. Of course, my body caught back up to my height and all those new clothes no longer fit. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. See that attitude? That is why I've fought a battle of clothes no longer fitting for many years. It was never a matter of losing weight, it was always "I need some new clothes". After a while I reached a plateau and I was comfortable there. I stayed the same weight for years, even though that weight was considered to be obese, I was okay with it. Well, until it was time to go to the pool or something that required me to be half naked. But, overall I was happy...or content. One of the two.

I married the girl of my dreams 7 years ago and you know what happens when you get married? You get happy fat. You stop sucking in your gut and deciding not to eat dessert. You just smile, look at each other with those googly eyes and stuff your face full of everything. We each have our own couch and know how to use them. I've got about fifty pounds of extra happy fat.

Within the past year I noticed that I could never find clothes anywhere I shopped. Nobody had my size. I ended up having to go to one of those "big and tall" stores. I was mortified. I put up a good fight acting like it didn't bother me, but I think I died a little bit every time I had to walk in there. I was so excited when Kohl's added a Big and Tall section even though I really hate the "big and tall" classification. It's better than "husky", which is what the clothes I wore as a child were called. Anyways, it was the fact that I couldn't find clothes that started me thinking it was time to do something. Not for health reasons or anything like that. Clothes. Talk about your warped priorities.

About six weeks ago someone in the family decided to do a Biggest Loser style competition and see who could lose the highest percentage of weight within twelve weeks. We put in $50 each and away we went. I wasn't planning on participating, but the competitor in me won out and I jumped in wholeheartedly without a plan on how to do it. I decided the best thing for me was to count calories. I didn't want to do any fad dieting. I didn't want to just eat boiled chicken everyday. I wanted to still have the option of eating what I wanted, within reason, and make the choice based on calorie content whether or not I was going to eat it. Sure, I've made sacrifices, but mainly because I can't stand artificial sweeteners. It's like drinking sand when I ingest them. My mouth dries up and my throat closes. Horrible stuff. So, I drink lots of water and mourn my daily gallon of Mountain Dew. I avoid sweets and, my biggest sacrifice....no more fast food breakfast. McDonalds has to put crack in their breakfast because it was the hardest thing to give up. I needed a McDonalds patch to curb my cravings. Now, I'm through it and don't give them a second thought. Well, maybe a second thought, but never a third.

As of today I have lost 19 pounds in six weeks. My goal was just two pounds a week. My pants are falling off of me and that in itself is motivation. I've had my first few people ask me if I was losing weight and that just fuels me to keep going. Now I just have to figure out my next step. Lots of challenges are in front of me, but I've never been more proud of myself. I'm almost halfway to an initial goal that I thought was impossible just a few short weeks ago. Away we go.......

Replies

• tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    That's AWESOME!!! Good job--keep it going. :)
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats on your success so far :)
  • laur89
    laur89 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on your success so far.
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats what a great story! You will be out of the big and tall section in no time :-)
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You are doing great and with that attitude you will go far! Congrats!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    that's awesome :) keep it up!!
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I loved this story! :heart:
    Mainly because it is partly mine as well. Happy fat is what I have been carrying around now for 5 years. I love my husband and we have so much in common...including a love of eating out. We ate out at least 5 times a week for dinner at one point. Our excuse was that we both worked full time and we didn't want to waste time together slaving over a stove for an hour then another 20 minutes cleaning up. Pretty warped now that I actually write it out. Both of us worked out regularly before we found each other. I guess we became the other's drug of choice.:bigsmile:

Anyway, Thanks for sharing and Congratulations on your loss! Keep it up! Everything is possible if you keep at it. Great job! You got this!!!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    This
    ....you know what happens when you get married? You get happy fat.

and this
    I put up a good fight acting like it didn't bother me, but I think I died a little bit every time I had to walk in there.

I've totally been there and I totally understand. Congratulations on your success and I'm sure this is only the beginning!
  • deanie0515
    deanie0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Loved your story!! As someone that has always had to battle weight, I can totally relate!! I think something has finally clicked in me after this Easter weekend... I realized how portion control is soooooo important. So maybe I don't have to consider this a fight anymore...just keep portions down and I'm not depriving or fighting anything!!!:bigsmile: Congrats on your success!! Super proud of you!!
  • Kera885
    Kera885 Posts: 59
    Options
    Congrats on your success, you'll keep seeing changes and soon you'll be right where you want to be :) Also, love your pic, don't really see a lot of Doctor Who fans on mfp lol
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congrats, keep up the good work! You'll find that 'happy healthy' is a lot better than 'happy fat'!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thats great, well done!

And out of interest, are you winning the biggest loser challenge?! lol

PS Not that it matters, as you have done an amazing job :smile:
  • Shannmarrs
    Shannmarrs Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I loved reading your story, and enjoyed the dashes of humor as well (that and I can all-too-well relate to the married "happy fat" ) :laugh: Congratulations on your weight loss so far, keep it going!
  • KayleesTryin
    KayleesTryin Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Way to go!
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    thanks for this great story and congratulations !
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good job! The idea is doing it for *you*; having people notice is just extra.

I like the idea of "Biggest Loser." What a great way to kick-start your work!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    By the way, love the idea of a "McDonald's patch." Awesome!
  • troythegeek
    Options

And out of interest, are you winning the biggest loser challenge?! lol

We don't know yet. Everybody is being all secretive and not telling. At this point, I really don't care about winning it anymore. I'm just thrilled that it was the inspiration to get me in gear. I've proven to myself that I'm capable of doing this and I will gladly pay $50 to someone else in the family if it did the same thing for them.
  • troythegeek
    Options
    By the way, love the idea of a "McDonald's patch." Awesome!

It's at the patent office now. I could make millions!! Millions I say!! Bwwwhaahaa! :devil:
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    love your story and i hope you will that prize!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!