Replies

• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Good:
    Fruit cups, applesauce, yogurt, trail mix, canned goods, cheese

Bad:
    Macaroni and cheese, tortilla chips, "cheerios"

It's all trial and error, but when you find the stuff that's good, you can save a ton of money!

I was hoping this thread could help me out with that! *Regrets buying the great value tortilla chips yestersday.. sigh* lol
    The restaurant style tortilla chips taste good to me.....
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Look at my diary...it's FULL of "Great Value". lol
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Don't like their Milk or Cottage Cheese.
    I agree with the above poster who said Kroger Brand is sometimes even better than national brands! I love love love Kroger Lite Yogurt, especially the Lite Cherry Cheesecake yogurt.
  • 2littlebostons
    2littlebostons Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've never tasted anything "bad" under the walmart brand, but absolutely REFUSE to buy any generic ketchup, mayo, or mustard ROFL!

Only Heinz, Hellman's, French's and Guldens here :laugh:

I can't do generic ketchup or mayo! EW EW EW!
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the Great Value canned soups, but the Cocoa Powder and their cereals are great...except for their version of All Bran Original/100% Bran ....they're gross!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've never tasted anything "bad" under the walmart brand, but absolutely REFUSE to buy any generic ketchup, mayo, or mustard ROFL!

Only Heinz, Hellman's, French's and Guldens here :laugh:

I can't do generic ketchup or mayo! EW EW EW!

I actually really like the ketchup and mustard... My kids and hubby wont let me buy the brand name ketchup or mustard anymore because they find them too sweet.

I am a total walmart shopper. but canned soup must be campbells. I just wait for it to go on sale and then stock up.

And the kids love the chocolate syrup for milk from great value.
  • kevin2406
    kevin2406 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like Barbers stuffed chicken breast. Recently tried the GV brand of them and didnt like them. Cant think of anything else I wouldnt buy again though.
  • jmyers1230
    jmyers1230 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We always get GV ketchup and yellow mustard. My fiance doesn't use mustard and I don't care as long as it tastes like mustard. I don't use much ketchup so that's all him. He also likes GV bread but I hate it! It gets dry in a day and is only good if you toast it! He drinks GV milk, but I can't drink milk so I don't know if it's actually good.

Cereal, chips, etc we always get the name brand. I've had lots of store brand products growing up and those are things I just have to have name brands.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I always get the big bag of gv unsalted whole almonds. No ingredients besides the almonds though so you can't go wrong with that! ha
    I get the 1% milk too. I guess mostly one ingredient items.
  • NenaM812
    NenaM812 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have always been a brand name snob, but one time I couldn't find what I wanted and all Wal Mart had was the Great Value version (I can't remember what it was). I can remember thinking, "Holy crap! This tastes the same!"

Some of my favorite GV stuff is:

Fruit Smilies - yummy 100 calorie packs of fruit snacks.
    Frozen boneless skinless ready to cook chicken breast. It's in a bag. It's cheap and AWESOME.
    Fat free milk - I'm not a huge milk drinker, so for what I use it for it makes no difference to me :)
    Pasta
    Fat free cheese singles
    GV version of Crazins
    Drink packets for bottled water
    Frozen fruits and veggies
    Their pasta sauce is pretty good if you're making like pizza bagles or something or using it as a dip, but I don't really like it for pasta actual dishes. My fiance loves it though.
    Chicken broth
    Cream of chicken
    Canned mushrooms
    And I've just discovered their instant oatmeal! I'm LOVING the Cinnamon Roll oatmeal.

One of the things I really didn't like from GV was canned green beans and any of the produce. For whatever reason, the frozen corn and frozen fruit is awesome, but that other stuff is BLEH! I threw away a whole chicken pot pie once because I used Wal Mart produce and GV frozen stuff because it tasted like dirt! Literally! But that other stuff is pretty good. You can't really tell the difference!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of great value brand stuff, but I haven't found anything that I think tastes different or that I don't like.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Some walmart stuff is good...but I detest that store.

I'm an Aldi's shopper. I rarely find that store to have anything bad....and often times better than the "brand name" you find elsewhere.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I sound snobbish, but ever since I started reading the labels, I just can't buy GV stuff anymore. They are definitely cheaper, but the ingredients tell the story. :( I used to buy a lot of GV stuff as a student when I didn't have a lot of money...so I totally understand.

If you must buy GV for everything, then I guess I would suggest that you at least buy organic as far as dairy products go. I buy Silk unsweetened almond milk, which is around $3. But you can get coupons that will give you a dollar off. :) I think most grocery stores send lots of coupons which can be used to lower your grocery bills.

I'm officially freaked out... Can someone elaborate?!