Boo. I need help with my diet

Options
So, I just started here, and I actually don't know anything about dieting or healthy foods but I really need to lose the weight as it is now a health concern... When I enter my food intake I get this message

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.

Please someone help me increase my calorie intake. I don't know what I can add that will be within my budget and remain healthy :(

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    yogurts, nuts, cheese, and meats (if not vegetarian) are all very calorie dense and full of nutrients. Enjoy! ;)
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    Are you waiting until your last meal to click on the "complete this entry" button? If not, you could be getting that message because it thinks you're done eating for the day when you've only had breakfast and lunch. I just want to make sure you don't find yourself with the opposite problem of eating too much. The best advice I can give you is to look at what you're eating and where it puts you in relation to your calorie goals set up by MFP and then add nutrient rich foods if you need more calories.
  • blakjac6
    blakjac6 Posts: 41
    Options
    Becoming friends with people with public diaries usually gives great ideas! I don't know what ur budget is and being that fruit is often verrrry expensive, it's sometimes hard to eat healthy. Drinking lots of water helps when trying to lose weight, make sure u have low sodium in ur diet and alternating a low fat/ low carb diet stops u from "plateauing". Hope this helps! Feel free to add me
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    feel free to check out my diary as it is open to the public.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Don't know your details, but here's a general guide.

Eggs for breakfast
    Soup or salad for lunch - no sandwiches!
    Lean protein (chicken, fish) with beg for dinner. Leafy green stuff is good (cabbage, broccoli, pak choi)

Protein for snacks - hard boiled egg, almonds, humous, avocado, stick of cheese, popcorn, waasabi peas, roast soya beans.
  • beloslover
    Options
    I eat the same way I used to, just a bit less. So instead of two servings of everything, I'm only eating one. Theres a lot of stuff I can't have, like milk products and egg whites dues to allergies. Not to mention, I don't have a whole lot of money to buy diet stuff and expensive foods :(

I drink about 10 glasses of water daily, which equals about 120 oz. I always add all my meals before hitting the complete button. Today I'm at 847 out of 1860!! Not to mention the extra 247 that got added from my workout today.
    I always eat at least one meat product a day, usually at supper time.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd keep away from anything that says "diet" to be honest, they've usually got lots of stuff added that you DON'T want in a healthy body.

No milk or eggs, eh? OK some wholemeal toast for breakfast - add a few slices of bacon or ham for protein, or some peanut butter. Is there any cheese you can tolerate?

Mid-morning - piece of fruit.
    Lunch - chicken salad
    Mid-afternoon - soy yoghurt, or a handful of nuts
    Dinner - baked potato with tuna, stir fried vegetables and shrimp, chilli with rice (brown if you can manage it)

Don't worry too much about your exercise calories just yet - if you've got a bit to lose it's less important. And if you can get yourself up to your daily 1200 goal that'll be a great start.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to give you advice if you made your food diary public.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've posted this a few times before but it's a chart to help make the best decisions when it comes to food choices. The foods are categorized into 3 tiers. One being the best and so on from there. Most of the foods are whole foods and while people tend to think fruits and veggies are expensive they can be used in so many ways and if you buy in season prices won't be so high. Stay away from processed foods. A good option for you seeing as your having problems eating more are nuts. They have a good amount of calories, protein and good fats for your body.

http://www.beachbody.com/category/michis_ladder.do
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry and you are getting adequate nutrition, then don't worry about it.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    look for bogo deals. i know fruit is expensive so when publix has bogo on the motts applesauce i buy a bunch they stay good and only 50 calories for the no sugar added ones.

i get canned veggies usually when they are also on sale i buy a bunch to stock up

and tuna i do alot of tuna for lunches with veggies and brown rice

dinner is usually chicken and rice both fairly cheap.

don't look at the diet foods just go for stuff you like and don't kill youself. if MFP is telling you to eat then eat. and till you can get the hang of all your calories dont eat your exercise calories. you don't have to.
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    it would be easier to help if you opened up your food diary. make sure you are getting at least 1200 calories per day, as that is the minimum your body needs to function properly. a couple suggestions: eat smaller meals more frequently to keep your metabolism going. do not invest (waste) your money on 'diet' foods- they are a gimic. stick to fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and fiber.
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Sometimes I get to points in my day where I am not sure what to eat. What I want has too many calories and what I should have I don't want.

Here is what you should really do if you are just getting started: During the first two weeks, eat like you always have eaten in the past. But literally log everything. (Remember to log if you cooked in butter or oil, and any sugary beverages). This way you can see how you eat, what your patterns are, and then start making small changes. This is what I did and I was able to see things like, okay I can eat pizza for dinner, but 2 slices, not four; or that a bowl of icecream truly is a treat and will almost always send me over my calorie limit. For me, I basically allow myself to eat the same foods, I just control the portions better.

Good luck!
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to give you advice if you made your food diary public.

Check out soccermoms diary for a great example to follow, and don't forget the water!

(she posted the quote above under this topic)