Quinoa- HELP ME!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have just been turned onto this wonderful food but am at a loss for recipes I can make with it!! Do you eat it plain? I am a blank slate LOL

Thank you ALL!

Replies

• robyn48
    robyn48 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you cook it like rice, then i spread it over a dish (wait till its cold ), and on top i put cut up pears and walnuts, yummy, i also add strawberry vinaigrette when i serve it up
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Make it cooked, hot or cold, add veggies that you like, or fruits. It's yummy and full of good nutrients. Good protein source.
  • ajfoer
    ajfoer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa in many ways. I use it as a substitute for rice but it also absorbs the flavors of what you cook it in. I have added balsamic vinegar to the water when cooking, I've also added it after. I am GF (gluten free) so I use it in soups instead of barley or any pasta or grain. I have mixed it with chickpeas, basil, lemon and a little oil for a nice light lunch or side. Try the website: Thegraciouspantry.com Tiffany, the site owner, has many delicious recipes using quinoa. She also has links to other sites.
  • embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    You can substitute it for rice in almost any recipe. I made stuffed peppers using quinoa and they were delicious!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    Wow, some of these recipes sound wonderful! I use it to make a pilaf and serve it with some type of meat and a salad. I cook it in chicken broth and while that's cooking, I'll saute some veggies (mushrooms, onions, peppers, carrots, celery) in 1 teaspoon of EVOO, then add 1/4 cup craisins and 1/4 cup chopped raw almonds. Add to quinoa and eat cold or hot.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was actually JUST doing a search on Quinoa recipes! I found several recipes on sparkspeople.com, eatbetteramerica.com, and allrecipes.com
  • embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    On top of this question, is there a place you can buy quinoa besides Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck)? :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I use it anywhere i would use rice. Stuffed peppers are great. I also like it for breakfast with
    almond milk and splenda.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Great thread. We are GF and just bought quinoa, but I was not sure what to do with it. Thanks for this post.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you go to the bulk section at whole foods you can buy the quinoa much cheaper than the prepacked. I've looked at my regular grocery store and its about 4.99/box and I think I paid 1.99 for the same size at Whole Foods in the bulk section!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it for breakfast yet, but my favorite way of fixing it serves to cure a mexican food craving. Quinoa, black beans, tomatoes (rotel or salsa as well), corn, chedder cheese. I add avacado if I have it and a dollop of sour cream for a nice creamy mexican food texture
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    If you go to the bulk section at whole foods you can buy the quinoa much cheaper than the prepacked. I've looked at my regular grocery store and its about 4.99/box and I think I paid 1.99 for the same size at Whole Foods in the bulk section!

Oh, so good to know! Do you have to rinse it though?
  • rubyruckus
    rubyruckus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always buy it from the bulk section and rinse it too.

I also cook it in the rice cooker- I do half rice and half quinoa in it. It's delicious and gets the picky people (hubby) to try it without really complaining.
  • jpw430
    jpw430 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Oh, so good to know! Do you have to rinse it though?

Yes.
  • ajfoer
    ajfoer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    the gluten free goddess has a great blog with gluten free recipes
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    pineapple+curry+quinoa+1.jpg

Pineapple Quinoa Salad with Sweet Curry Vinaigrette
    http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/2010/05/recipe-pineapple-quinoa-salad-with.html