Calorie Counters on Exercise Machines

Options
So how bummed was I when I discovered that the calorie counter on my elliptical (specifically: the Gazelle) was waaaay over the truth. I was stoked when I believed that I was burning 800-1000 calories in 30 minutes on it! That is, until my coworker told me that cardio usually burns 100 calories per 10 minutes. That, and when I began using MFP, the pre-calculated calories burned were more "true" to the 100cal/10min rule.

Does anyone else have this problem with their at-home cardio machines? Or even in the gym?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I underestimate my calories (100-200) when I log my exercise. At least until I get a HRM! :)
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I never fully trust the calorie count on this site and on the machines at times which is why I purchased a heart rate monitor. They are supposed to be more accurate.
  • msjackson1019
    msjackson1019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, but my problem is that the machine usually underestimates for me. The calories burned assume you are a certain weight and let's just say I am not that weight (quite a bit over). So, when I put in the time I spend on my exercise bike, the calories burned calculated by MFP are always higher.

But, yeah, 800 - 1000 calories for 30 minutes on a Gazelle seems really high. Makes you wonder if the company did it on purpose to make people think the machine works better than it really does. I have to do about 75 minutes on my exercise bike at a medium effort level to burn 800 calories.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    The machines I use at the gym seem pretty accurate but I always make sure to input my weight and age, and I have never seen anything over 500 calories burned for an hour