What Are Some of Your Favorite Low Calorie Foods?

Options
I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow & would like to pick up some new low calorie foods. So, what are some of your favorites? :bigsmile:

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I love eggs - had them for dinner tonight. Large egg - only 70 calories. I also can't go to the store without buying baby carrots, bananas and raw almonds. Oh, and oatmeal - my best friend for breakfast.
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like tofu and carrots and apples and bananas.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    i highly recommend staying away from anything packaged and processed that says 100 calorie on it - :) Those things are convenient, but they are designed to make you want more than 1 package--too many sugars/carbs which is why we crave more. Fresh fruits, veggies, and very little whole grains and lots of lean protein. Just cook some extra protein and put 2ounce portions in sandwich baggies and call those your 100 calorie snacks or whatever. It will keep you satisfied much longer.

PB2 and an apple a great carb/protein balanced snack.
  • mlwestlake
    mlwestlake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Navel Oranges are my fave!
  • louisvillelady
    louisvillelady Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    kroger carbmaster yogurt
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    quinoa
    hummus
    kashi heart to heart crackers
    asparagus
    rice cakes
    red bell peppers
    baby spinach
    goat cheese (a little goes a long way)
    tilapia
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cottage cheese, broccoli, raw carrots, almonds, hard boiled eggs
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    sunmaid vanilla yogurt covered raisins (120 calories), golden delicisous apples, chocolate rice cakes with just a tad of peanut butter or honey!! mmmmm
    ~Corina
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Stuffed grape leaves are good. only 200cals for 5 which makes a meal. Also carrots, Feta stuffed chicken breast, sugar snap peas, artichokes, apples, squash, pretty much anything raw and not processed like almonds, chick peas for fresh hummus, Okay I'm hungry now time to start dinner. :smile:
  • bexfield
    bexfield Posts: 21
    Options
    berries and grapes! lots of berries and grapes. in addition to fresh ones i buy frozen berries and make smoothies with them. i also keep a bowl of apples for any late night food cravings and i agree with the eggs suggestion above. although i eat my eggs sunny side up dipped on toast, which makes it not so low in calories. almond breeze chocolate almond milk is really good too and the vanilla kind is great as a coffee cream substitute.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I use bagel thins, sandwich thins or sprouted grain breads (lower cal than regular) for all my sandwiches. Spinach is super low-cal. Add it to smoothies, sandwiches, salads, eggs. I fully advocate having just a smidge of the "real" thing that you are craving, and steer clear of all those "calorie pack" and artificial sweetener packed things. They are horrible for you. Non-fat greek yogurt w/ some fresh fruit and a tad of agave or honey. A bit of natural peanut butter w/ an apple. Low-fat cottage cheese (but watch the sodium). Light string cheese. Hummus and veggie sticks. Salsa is really low-cal. Go for FRESH!
  • cstonewoman
    Options
    Definitely agree with the bananas and almonds. Also, if you just love chips, popchips are amazing. You get about 20 or so for 120 calories and they come in several flavors (and the chips are a decent size!). They are great if you just need that chip fix. I also love these Sonoma pretzel (well more like sesame sticks) and cheese snacks. Also, one of my favorite "recipes" for a sandwich is having a sandwich thin for the bread, oscar meyer smoked turkey lunch meat (about 40 calories for 6 slices), red pepper hummus, cucumber, and a slice of cheese (if you want). I got it from the Special K website and it's my go to sandwich for when I want something that tastes like I didn't make it in my kitchen. Also, I love Mott's natural applesauce. It might take some getting used to, but now I can't even eat the original kind because it tastes too sugary. I also often have the Multigrain cheerios dry as a snack because they have 100% of your daily value of iron. Plus a serving size is a cup which feels like a lot when I eat it dry. For nights you just don't feel like cooking, the Lean Cuisine market creations (in the steamer bags) are really good. My doctor recommended them to me because they don't have preservatives. The shrimp scampi is the best! Also, if you need a pizza fix, most frozen California pizza kitchen pizzas aren't that bad (thin crust), even if you have half the pizza. My roommate used to eat these a lot, and I thought she was crazy until I really looked at it. And of course, if you love ice cream, go with Skinny Cow. The ice cream sandwiches and the fudge bars are my favorite. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. But I hope this helps!
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers/celery
    baby carrots
    hummus
    90 calorie whole wheat slimwhich buns
    apples
    chicken breasts, bnls, sknls
    manderine oranges (only 40 cals)
    spaghetti squash (use in place of spaghetti noodles)
    low-carb tortilla wraps (50 cals)
    Vitamuffins/Vitatops 100 calorie muffins (in the freezer section)
    oatmeal (I eat old fashioned or lower sugar instant)
    Blue Diamond Almond milk unsweetened original (only 40 cals per cup. Great on cereal)
    whole wheat english muffins
    Bell Plantation PB2 (peanut butter) ( It's no JIF, but not bad)
    Mustard
  • cassiex10
    cassiex10 Posts: 40
    Options
    cottage cheese, pickles, cocoa almonds, yogurt, apples, pineapple, pretzel chips, salsa, eggs, flavored rice cakes
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    spinach, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, roasted red pepper hummus and wish bone salad spritzers :) 100 calorie english muffins, and greek yogurt. tilapia and cod fish, salmon and frozen tuna steaks.........produce counter is my fav place in the grocery store.
  • mcboyd1983
    Options
    fruits (particularly blueberries, grapefruit, apple, pears, papayas, lemons, red grapes, kiwi), veggies (particularly green peppers, red peppers, red vine tomatoes, radishes, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, unsalted beets, eggplant, zucchini), organic greek tofu 0% fat free, fat free soy milk, better n peanut butter (low sodium, less fat), red pepper hummus, egg whites, quinoa, steel cut oats, laughing cow light swiss cheese, dry lentils, salmon filets, shrimp, flaxseed, fiber, green tea, raw unsalted almonds, cinnamon (good to regulate blood sugar levels), fiber one original cereal, organic firm tofu...... all of these items are fortified with necessary nutrients to keep your body healthy. Low sodium, low sugar, low fat, low calorie. Make sure to purchase calcium and vitamin supplements and fish oil supplements as well.
  • vashley84
    vashley84 Posts: 15
    Options
    If you like seafood - King Crab (Pollock) with seafood sauce!
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with Iced Animal Cookies by stauffers. They are only 120cal for 9 cookies and I get to think "mmmm... COOOOOOKIE" and then eat 8 more. Plus they are cheap. Like $2 for a lot of servings cheap.

Also ricotta (part skim) cheese. If you put it in between the cookie you get 4.5 cookie sandwiches for 210cal!

OK.. maybe not the healthiest but I need some happiness in my day and the animals put a smile on my face. Especially the elephant.
  • taylorgrace1313
    Options
    -Turkey Burgers! - low cal, very high in protein, super filling.
    -yoplait light thick n creamy yogurt- low cal and filling
    -apples
    -instant oatmeal
    -NuGo bars from Costco. high in fiber, protein, and vitamins; low in calories, fat, and sugar. filling and super yummy! like dessert.